IsmailG

Costa Rica surf casting

18 posts in this topic

I know, lots of threads on the subject already. I've always wanted to go, and the wife wants to do something different for next year's vacation so I'm starting to do some research from now. Question is, if you had to pick, which part would be best all around for having good surf fishing nearby. We aren't into the night life scene and all that fun stuff lol, so for her and my son just a pretty beach to soak up the sun and play in the water will suffice. I'd most likely be looking into renting a cottage or house for a week. Also is there a time of year that's usually more productive from shore?

If you want a pretty beach then go to the Caribbean side. I believe the better fishing is on the Pacific side, however. Those are all black sand beaches, which your family may like but I definitely wouldn't call them pretty. The best thing about Costa Rica is how safe it is. There's very little violent crime, but theft is an issue so make sure you secure your belongings. Rent a car and stay in multiple places. You could split your time between each coast and the rainforest. There's tons to see and do beyond just fishing. 

I've been to the Pacific side twice, there are beautiful beaches to fish on the southern pacific side. as snapking said, its very safe but there is petty theft there. I'm not about the nightlife either so my trip was spent hiking the rain forests, fishing and relaxing on the beaches.  Quepos wes a great little town right near Manual Antonio National Park. So much rain forests and beautiful beaches. No fishing in the park bu there are beaches right outside the park that you can fish.  I landed a rooster fish and a few grunts and other crazy looking fish off of the beach. There are kayak rentals too.

I did airbnb and stayed at some amazing houses in the jungle overlooking the pacific, they were less than $150 per night and they had everything.

2 hours ago, odiemike86 said:

I've been to the Pacific side twice, there are beautiful beaches to fish on the southern pacific side. as snapking said, its very safe but there is petty theft there. I'm not about the nightlife either so my trip was spent hiking the rain forests, fishing and relaxing on the beaches.  Quepos wes a great little town right near Manual Antonio National Park. So much rain forests and beautiful beaches. No fishing in the park bu there are beaches right outside the park that you can fish.  I landed a rooster fish and a few grunts and other crazy looking fish off of the beach. There are kayak rentals too.

I did airbnb and stayed at some amazing houses in the jungle overlooking the pacific, they were less than $150 per night and they had everything.

I'm starting to think South Pacific is the way to go from what I've been reading

For a wife and kid trip, i'd stay outta Jaco.

If you have the funds, i would get on a boat at

least once. Each boat I went on was better than the last.

I talked to guys that grabbed local panga capts, did well,

saved some cash.

4 hours ago, IsmailG said:

I'm starting to think South Pacific is the way to go from what I've been reading

Yes.

What time of year ?

^..^

21 mins ago, snapper1 said:

Yes.

What time of year ?

^..^

Probably sometime between June and September

Might want to try and schedule around

"rainy season" if possible. We went in Feb.

Not a drop.

10 hours ago, IsmailG said:

Probably sometime between June and September

Awesome

Anywhere along Southern Pacific coast.

Just my opinion.

If you are the adventurous type, check the Osa peninsula or Pavones area...

Good luck !

^..^

Along with good fishing & surfing ... they Do have Crocodiles in Costa Rica ... you know Alligators that swim in the salt. 

2 hours ago, snapper1 said:

Awesome

Anywhere along Southern Pacific coast.

Just my opinion.

If you are the adventurous type, check the Osa peninsula or Pavones area...

Good luck !

^..^

Thank you, I'll check into those areas!

39 mins ago, KironaFly said:

Along with good fishing & surfing ... they Do have Crocodiles in Costa Rica ... you know Alligators that swim in the salt. 

And poisonous snakes, spiders, frogs. Sounds like fun!

41 mins ago, KironaFly said:

I saw some monster crocodiles down in costa rica.  I typically go in December, right after the rain season

Osa peninsula..... crocodile bay lodge of you can afford... if not then there is a beautiful area on the Southwest side of Puerto jimenez.... look for a resort or hotel near playa piro.... roosterfish galore