tomkaz

Lake O dsichsrges, moving from St Lucie to southern route

37 posts in this topic

For those who  are interested: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/environment/article88992067.html.

A short summary of Big Sugar's continuing impact on the south Florida environment.

And Z, I agree with you: The problem is multi-faceted and the possible solutions complex, time-consuming and expensive.

And, most importantly, every stakeholder wants to protect their interests and have the other parties pay.

As of this morning, the Army Corp of Engineers has halted discharges in BOTH directions. The east flows were halted for a while but were supposed to resume today. Instead, that restart has been delayed and the western flows have been halted. 

The Corps says it is working with water managers and local officials to assess the situation. However, they say flows could continue later this week if warranted. 

Ugh!

2 hours ago, saltfisherman said:

We now have a state of emergency too. 

I assume you are on the south-west coast of Florida where the environmental impact from the abuses of Big Sugar and the ACOE is greater.

I really feel bad for you guys.

Unfortunately, the Gulf of Mexico can't disperse the Lake O runoff as fast as the Atlantic.

I remember how beautiful and pristine the Naples area was is the early 70's..

12 hours ago, DennisBKLYN215 said:

I assume you are on the south-west coast of Florida where the environmental impact from the abuses of Big Sugar and the ACOE is greater.

I really feel bad for you guys.

Unfortunately, the Gulf of Mexico can't disperse the Lake O runoff as fast as the Atlantic.

I remember how beautiful and pristine the Naples area was is the early 70's..

Dennis, yes I made in Bonita Springs. We love the area and hate what they are doing to the waters. We only moved here 2 years ago but years prior to that visiting the area the water was Caribbean clear. That’s what drew us here. 

Thankfully we don’t own a home here, just renting. Couldn’t imagine trying to sell a home on a canal with the algae present or the possibility of algae happening. 

Charter captain friend was off yesterday and took a bike ride up to Lake O. This is what he posted on Instagram. 

2072D37C-D39A-4A51-8EEA-D324BC74F8C6.thumb.jpeg.3895229135a40fe797b9c7484d97a72e.jpeg

On 7/10/2018 at 6:02 AM, saltfisherman said:

Dennis, yes I made in Bonita Springs. We love the area and hate what they are doing to the waters. We only moved here 2 years ago but years prior to that visiting the area the water was Caribbean clear. That’s what drew us here. 

Thankfully we don’t own a home here, just renting. Couldn’t imagine trying to sell a home on a canal with the algae present or the possibility of algae happening. 

I bought in Vero Beach end of 2017 after seeing the damage done to the SW coast of Florida and extensive research (Miami to Vero and Naples to Bonita) and real-time experiences in all of SE Florida (both coasts).

Have friends from NE who own in Bonita Springs and Naples.

Not as avid natural sportsmen as me.

Just had dinner with one of our friends and they complained of "difficulty breathing" due to Red Tide in Bonita Springs area. 

Don't need that crap.

That's why SE coast of Florida is better if you are are fisherman(women).

I fish, have fished or plan to fish EVERYWHERE in Florida.

The worst I get here since our relo from the Peoples Republic of NJ (via NY, another high tax state)  is some disclosed water from C-54 canal drainage into Indian River and Atlantic Ocean which really doesn't negatively impact my fishing.

Generally amazing fishing in Indian River County and Brevard County, so far.

However, I do worry about how over-development, the ACOE and politicians can ruin the "Gateway to the Tropics" and what I consider to be "Paradise".

47 mins ago, DennisBKLYN215 said:

I bought in Vero Beach end of 2017 after seeing the damage done to the SW coast of Florida and extensive research (Miami to Vero and Naples to Bonita) and real-time experiences in all of SE Florida (both coasts).

Have friends from NE who own in Bonita Springs and Naples.

Not as avid natural sportsmen as me.

Just had dinner with one of our friends and they complained of "difficulty breathing" due to Red Tide in Bonita Springs area. 

Don't need that crap.

That's why SE coast of Florida is better if you are are fisherman(women).

I fish, have fished or plan to fish EVERYWHERE in Florida.

The worst I get here since our relo from the Peoples Republic of NJ (via NY, another high tax state)  is some disclosed water from C-54 canal drainage into Indian River and Atlantic Ocean which really doesn't negatively impact my fishing.

Generally amazing fishing in Indian River County and Brevard County, so far.

However, I do worry about how over-development, the ACOE and politicians can ruin the "Gateway to the Tropics" and what I consider to be "Paradise".

Dennis, we are actually going to be in vero beach this weekend. Starting our venture to exploring other areas of Florida to live. This will take us a couple years to accomplish but we have a few years before I intend to be done working in this area anyway. 

Hope you don’t mind that I’ll pick your brain. Real quick question being you’re in vero beach. Any good quick place to spend a couple hours to fish while my wife enjoys the sand? A jetty, inlet, pier? Just a place to cast jigs and what hits happens. No need for special spot you may have just a public location worth trying. We’ll be more driving and looking then me having time to fish. 

Thanks 

tom

3 mins ago, saltfisherman said:

Dennis, we are actually going to be in vero beach this weekend. Starting our venture to exploring other areas of Florida to live. This will take us a couple years to accomplish but we have a few years before I intend to be done working in this area anyway. 

Hope you don’t mind that I’ll pick your brain. Real quick question being you’re in vero beach. Any good quick place to spend a couple hours to fish while my wife enjoys the sand? A jetty, inlet, pier? Just a place to cast jigs and what hits happens. No need for special spot you may have just a public location worth trying. We’ll be more driving and looking then me having time to fish. 

Thanks 

tom

Hi Tom,

Heading out to dinner now.

Be glad to give you my thoughts.

Just drove back fom NJ.

If you can, PM me tomorrow and we can chat.

Best,

Dennis 

Dennis 

3 mins ago, DennisBKLYN215 said:

Hi Tom,

Heading out to dinner now.

Be glad to give you my thoughts.

Just drove back fom NJ.

If you can, PM me tomorrow and we can chat.

Best,

Dennis 

Dennis 

Dennis, thank you. It would after 5pm before I’d PM you. 

Posted (edited)

It pays to take the ladies at the library candy, they usually find what I want to read.

The Swamp: The Everglades, Florida, and the Politics of Paradise
Book by Michael Grunwald 2006

I've started this book and it's very well written! It's as good as any Carl Hiaasen novel for entertainment. Thanks for the heads up Dennis.

Reading only the introduction and first chapter will get you up to speed on history, the first 300 million years abridged, geology, exploration; descriptions by visitor/writers Zane Grey, Audubon, Pinochet round out the early  years.

I may buy this for four of my teacher friends in south Florida.   

Edited by JTF

I'm on vacation down SW FL and this is dominating the local news channels. Evidently the worry is that it push people away from here. As an aside, not sure if this is it's own thing or some dots can be connected. But there is a guy down here who was crabbing and picked up the flesh eating disease ...and now his choice is to have all his limbs amputated or die:-(

Posted (edited)

16 hours ago, saltfisherman said:

Thanks 

tom

Plenty such places down in area north of Palm Beach Inlet: Singer Island, McArthur Park, Juno and Jupiter beaches. Heck, with the Palm Beach Shores beach at the pump house adjacent to the east end of the north jetty of the inlet, that is the perfect spot, particularly during the autumn mullet run. 

Edited by tomkaz

3 hours ago, JTF said:
It pays to take the ladies at the library candy, they usually find what I want to read.

The Swamp: The Everglades, Florida, and the Politics of Paradise
Book by Michael Grunwald 2006

I've started this book and it's very well written! It's as good as any Carl Hiaasen novel for entertainment. Thanks for the heads up Dennis.

Reading only the introduction and first chapter will get you up to speed on history, the first 300 million years abridged, geology, exploration; descriptions by visitor/writers Zane Grey, Audubon, Pinochet round out the early  years.

I may buy this for four of my teacher friends in south Florida.   

Glad you are enjoying the book.

Couldn't put it down once I started and I actually read it for the 2nd time after I moved to Vero late last year.

I've been in contact with the author (former journalist at Washington Post and Boston Globe, currently at Time mag) a couple of times over the last few years hoping to encourage him to update the story.