New Pedal kayak from Pelican?

51 mins ago, CR Yaker said:

I have three Hobies, now over 3 years old each and never have developed any hull issues/cracks.  So that's zero % on drive well cracks on post 2009 hulls.  I don't doubt the numbers quoted by Matt.

Go read the thread Kross posted about his experience.. There are atleast a half dozen posters that have experienced hull cracking issues. Including EliasV. Some have had multiple failures.

1 hour ago, kross57 said:

There is no reason on earth to have a warranty period shorter than you expect 99% of your kayaks to last. If Hobie truly thinks almost all of their kayaks will last 6 years, then make the warranty period 6 years. But they made it 2 years. Guess why? 

Where did you get the 6 years number, Hobie expects their kayaks to last, from?  Matt's numbers we're for claims, which could be within or outside the 2 year warranty.  He didn't exactly say.

I would imagine by making the warranty only 2 years, Hobie can have more discretion outside warranty to determine if any coverage should be allowed due to usage or manufacturing fault.  In other words "Good Faith"

Edited by CR Yaker

Hobie TI - 2013

Hobie Revolution 11 - 2015

Hobie Sport - 2014

17 mins ago, Slacker said:

A 2 year warranty tells me that a company has 2 years of faith in the durability of their product.  What else could it mean?

Agree, with the caveat that even that 2 year warranty is limited.  

Edited by CR Yaker

Hobie TI - 2013

Hobie Sport - 2014

52 mins ago, Slacker said:

A 2 year warranty tells me that a company has 2 years of faith in the durability of their product.  What else could it mean?

Not to mention they could easily separate the hull from the drive and accessories. Doing a lifetime warranty on the hull and 2 years on the drive/accessories. But because their hulls crack within the first 3 years, they lumped the hulls in with the 2 year warranty. Then they make it sound like they doing you a favor by giving you a pro rated price (~$350) on a warrantyless hull.  Which im sure they are still making some $$ on..

2 hours ago, CR Yaker said:

I have three Hobies, now over 3 years old each and never have developed any hull issues/cracks.  So that's zero % on drive well cracks on post 2009 hulls.  I don't doubt the numbers quoted by Matt.

With all due respect CR Yaker it's impossible to believe. I will just take Metro Boston. I regularly fish with 3 other kayak anglers, all 3 have had their hulls crack twice since 2009 click and go. They also own multiple kayaks and if it matters they also use Turbo Fins. Turbo Fins sold and approved by Hobie.

Maybe it's the salt water in Metro Boston that is causing the cracks? :laugh:

44 mins ago, Baitbucket said:

. But because their hulls crack within the first 3 years, they lumped the hulls in with the 2 year warranty. Then they make it sound like they doing you a favor by giving you a pro rated price (~$350) on a warrantyless hull.  Which im sure they are still making some $$ on..

Your making a false claim.  Not all Hobie hulls crack within 3 years.  As I have demonstrated in my own personal experience.  Kross Hobie hull was 4th year in existence.  How many?  Hobie says only 1 to 2 % of all kayaks they produce come back with warranty claims since 2009 (Don't know if that is claims outside warranty or not?).  Which with Barrels claims, I take as fact. 

Regardless of those numbers, fact is, that there is only a two year limited warranty.  Anything else and even that two year warranty is in good faith by Hobie.  

What is there to argue???  Move on, find a better design with guarantee.  

Edited by CR Yaker

Hobie TI - 2013

Hobie Sport - 2014

47 mins ago, The Riddler said:

With all due respect CR Yaker it's impossible to believe. I will just take Metro Boston. I regularly fish with 3 other kayak anglers, all 3 have had their hulls crack twice since 2009 click and go. They also own multiple kayaks and if it matters they also use Turbo Fins. Turbo Fins sold and approved by Hobie.

Maybe it's the salt water in Metro Boston that is causing the cracks? :laugh:

Riddler, I don't doubt it (my claim is true).  But I'm sure they are the exception to the average recreational user, the 1 to 2%.  That plastic can only take so much stress, regardless of time frame.  Thus my reluctance to buy any used Hobie kayak outside warranty for the prices they fetch.

NOTE:  (on my TI, oldest Hobie, I use my turbo pedals sparingly to clear lines for fish on ONLY)  

Edited by CR Yaker

Hobie TI - 2013

Hobie Sport - 2014

1 hour ago, CR Yaker said:

Your making a false claim.  Not all Hobie hulls crack within 3 years.  

Oh sorry, should I have said within 5 years? Does it really make any difference?

There is a reason people sell their hobies as soon as the warranty runs out after two years.  It's not because they have faith that the hull will hold up for another

Edited by Baitbucket

14 mins ago, Baitbucket said:

Oh sorry, should I have said within 5 years? Does it really make any difference?

There is a reason people sell their hobies as soon as the warranty runs out after two years.  It's not because they have faith that the hull will hold up for another

You can't even say "All within 5 years".  You can say some, but that's about it.   Otherwise I agree with everything else you say here.

Hobie TI - 2013

Hobie Sport - 2014

50 mins ago, CR Yaker said:

You can't even say "All within 5 years".  You can say some, but that's about it.   Otherwise I agree with everything else you say here.

Sounds like we are in agreement then. I never said "All" their hulls crack..

3 hours ago, CR Yaker said:

Where did you get the 6 years number, Hobie expects their kayaks to last, from?  Matt's numbers we're for claims, which could be within or outside the 2 year warranty.  He didn't exactly say.

I would imagine by making the warranty only 2 years, Hobie can have more discretion outside warranty to determine if any coverage should be allowed due to usage or manufacturing fault.  In other words "Good Faith"

The 6 year figure I used was just an example. 

If you read the fine print for any warranty, they usually have exceptions like abuse, damage and so on. They typically only cover true defects. Hobie has that wording too. But even with it, Hobe's warranty is the worst. Why do they need more discretion than anybody else?   

It's pretty funny, because when I didn't own a Hobie I was always accused of attacking them for the reason that I didn't own one. Now I have one, and I'm still hearing the same crap. These aren't attacks. This is being honest. 

Edited by kross57

You can't fault Hobie either.  They are totally honest about what they are offering.   And best, carry it out.

To make it sound otherwise is being dishonest.  One needs to state the personal good with the bad.  

Would I like to see a hull designed with lighter stronger materials and the mirage drive.  You bet.  Am I willing to pay an arm and a leg more?  Probably not.  So it is what it is and the market place will decide.

Until another product exceeds Hobie design for the fishing enthusiast, I shall remain with their product.   

Edited by CR Yaker

Hobie TI - 2013

Hobie Sport - 2014