Bdawk2020

New Pedal kayak from Pelican?

269 posts in this topic

51 mins ago, barrell said:

Void if you modify the hull. A rod holder or fish finder is a modification

Give it a rest, Barrell.  Every warranty has that, Here is one exception to the Hobie warranty:

• Damage caused by alterations or modifications.

No more rigging kayaks....warranty no good. :laugh:

1 hour ago, kross57 said:

Give it a rest, Barrell.  Every warranty has that, Here is one exception to the Hobie warranty:

• Damage caused by alterations or modifications.

Hobie doesnt use that against customers. Some companies do.No one can say what there warranty policy will be. The fact that it says kayak must be returned to factory is a killer for anyone who doesnt live close by. I had Maine built boat develop a problem while I was living in Florida. The company in Maine said boat needed to be brought to Maine for warranty.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, barrell said:

Hobie doesnt use that against customers. Some companies do.

If you dont know then why point it out lol... Especially when the King (Hobie) doesnt enforce it? You honestly think Pelican will come back and say "sorry you added a rod holder, that voids your warranty" ?? Give me break Barrell. You post alot of very useful information, but your glaring bias towards hobie products is nauseating at times..

2 hours ago, barrell said:

The fact that it says kayak must be returned to factory is a killer for anyone who doesnt live close by. 

Where does it state that in the posted kayak warranty?

Edited by Baitbucket

Barrel, have you had a cracked hull claim after all these years at your Hobie shop?

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, barrell said:

Hobie doesnt use that against customers. Some companies do.No one can say what there warranty policy will be. The fact that it says kayak must be returned to factory is a killer for anyone who doesnt live close by. I had Maine built boat develop a problem while I was living in Florida. The company in Maine said boat needed to be brought to Maine for warranty.

Must be returned to the factory? Nope. I guess if it needs some kind of special repair and your Pelican dealer can't handle it, sure. But not for replacxement.

Look, I know you are used to working with a crooked company. But they are not all bad.  

From Pelican:

"During the warranty period, Pelican International Inc. is only obliged to repair or replace, at its discretion, this kayak, at either one of its factory, or at an authorized dealer store or service centre, as decided by Pelican International Inc."

Edited by kross57

2 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Barrel, have you had a cracked hull claim after all these years at your Hobie shop?

We discussed this back in the day before click and go. About 5% off those old boats with the knobs developed cracks and where replaced. Since click and go its been almost non existent. Maybe two or three since click and go. All replaced for free within warranty. Out of warranty is not warranty. Thats called goodwill.

29 mins ago, barrell said:

We discussed this back in the day before click and go. About 5% off those old boats with the knobs developed cracks and where replaced. Since click and go its been almost non existent. Maybe two or three since click and go. All replaced for free within warranty. Out of warranty is not warranty. Thats called goodwill. 

See, this makes my BS meter go off in a big way. If hull problems are almost nonexistent, why is the Hobie hull warranty the shortest in the industry? They could make it 6 years or even lifetime at almost no cost. Something smells here. That's called horse crap.

1 hour ago, kross57 said:

See, this makes my BS meter go off in a big way. If hull problems are almost nonexistent, why is the Hobie hull warranty the shortest in the industry? They could make it 6 years or even lifetime at almost no cost. Something smells here. That's called horse crap.

Its no coincidence Hobies warranty is 2 years and their hulls fail at the 2-3yr mark  ;)

1 hour ago, barrell said:

Man u must be super lucky with your shipments. Hobies head of the warranty dept says 1-2% have hull cracking issues..

2 hours ago, Baitbucket said:

Its no coincidence Hobies warranty is 2 years and their hulls fail at the 2-3yr mark  ;)

Man u must be super lucky with your shipments. Hobies head of the warranty dept says 1-2% have hull cracking issues..

Matt, NEVER, stated that 1-2% have hull cracking issues.  He said overall warranty claims are 1-2%, so that could be anything, not just hull cracks.  Below is his quote:

" Drive well cracks are not prevalent. Over all warranty claims on Hobie kayaks amount to 1 or 2 percent of total production. We make a LOT of kayaks and affected consumers are typically the most vocal. Some amount of warranty is expected and is the reason for warranty policy. "

Isn't it about time we move on from this?  Every thread is turning into a bash Hobie thread! 

11 mins ago, atv223 said:

Matt, NEVER, stated that 1-2% have hull cracking issues.  He said overall warranty claims are 1-2%, so that could be anything, not just hull cracks.  Below is his quote:

" Drive well cracks are not prevalent. Over all warranty claims on Hobie kayaks amount to 1 or 2 percent of total production. We make a LOT of kayaks and affected consumers are typically the most vocal. Some amount of warranty is expected and is the reason for warranty policy. "

Isn't it about time we move on from this?  Every thread is turning into a bash Hobie thread! 

Companies with poor customer service tend to get bashed on the Internet. 

8 hours ago, Snapking said:

Companies with poor customer service tend to get bashed on the Internet. 

I agree. They asked for it. If the Hobie company wants to stop the bashing, they know what to do. Fix their effed up warranty! And start treating their customers with a little respect. 

13 hours ago, atv223 said:

" Drive well cracks are not prevalent. Over all warranty claims on Hobie kayaks amount to 1 or 2 percent of total production. "

The point is, even if the 1-2% was strictly drive well cracks, we all know thats BS.. There are members on this forum that have been thru multiple hulls due to cracking. Some of which sell their kayaks every 2 years and buy new just so they are under warranty in case it happens again...

If you believe they only see 1-2% overall on warranty claims .. well i dont know what to tell you...

I have three Hobies, now over 3 years old each and never have developed any hull issues/cracks.  So that's zero % on drive well cracks on post 2009 hulls.  I don't doubt the numbers quoted by Matt.

There is no reason on earth to have a warranty period shorter than you expect 99% of your kayaks to last. If Hobie truly thinks almost all of their kayaks will last 6 years, then make the warranty period 6 years. But they made it 2 years. Guess why?