Bdawk2020

New Pedal kayak from Pelican?

274 posts in this topic

Saw on the zoffinger YouTube channel what looks to be a new pedal kayak from pelican which will be revealed at icast. Looks similar to the mirage drive. Wonder what the price point will be.

Screenshot_20180705-205017_YouTube.jpg

1 hour ago, Bdawk2020 said:

Saw on the zoffinger YouTube channel what looks to be a new pedal kayak from pelican which will be revealed at icast. Looks similar to the mirage drive. Wonder what the price point will be.

Screenshot_20180705-205017_YouTube.jpg

Similar ... that's got to be the understatement of the year! If this is legit, the revolution may just have started in earnest.

Just now, Africaster said:

Similar ... that's got to be the understatement of the year! If this is legit, the revolution may just have started in earnest.

Lol! I heard the patient had expired. 

The patent on the original design expired right at the time they released the 180 drive.

There are multiple patents on the mirage drive, but the original was the broadest and really kept everyone else out.  The additional patents were based on tweaks and improvements.  Don't quote me on this, but I think there is a patent on the turbo fins that is still active, so that's probably why you see the original style fins on this one.

I also think there is a separate patent on the click 'n go drive attachment.

From a business perspective, Hobie has certainly done a good job in rolling out patented improvements to do there best to protect themselves and stay ahead of the competition who are going to copy them.

My guess this will be the first pedal kayak below $1,000 (at least I don't think anyone makes one that cheap yet)

It's legit for sure, he pedals it around in the video but doesn't give any details.

So, the copying of an original and innovative design is now considered a "revolution"?

6 mins ago, tj7501 said:

So, the copying of an original and innovative design is now considered a "revolution"?

It happens with everything, kinda like how now you can get a cooler just as good as a yeti for 1/3 the price. Hopefully now we'll get mirage drives in better hulls, or at least in ones I can afford.

43 mins ago, nateD said:

Hopefully now we'll get mirage drives in better hulls

Or at least a company that will stand behind their product if its defective.

Everything eventually trickles down to us poor folk. I remember car power brakes and steering becoming the norm. Should be interesting as Pelican makes some fairly light kayaks. Is the Hobie rudder still under patent?

1 hour ago, nateD said:

It happens with everything, kinda like how now you can get a cooler just as good as a yeti for 1/3 the price. Hopefully now we'll get mirage drives in better hulls, or at least in ones I can afford.

There is a Youtube video of a guy and his son cutting through a Yeti cooler and a cheaper dept. store one to compare. It turned out the Yeti had much thicker plastic and much more insulation. It's definitely better than your average cooler. Should it cost $400? Probably not. But it's worth it for a lot people, because I see them everywhere.

It's just disappointing that competitors cannot come up with a better drive design. Straight copying just seems lame. Maybe something is in the works and we will all be surprised. Until then, people who have the willingness to pay will still go for Hobie instead of the knock-off. Just like the "Yeti people".

But they don't hold ice longer, according to videos I've seen, I have zero personal experience with the coolers. I do know that my 30 dollar Yeti cup is no better than my 7 dollar walmart cup.  Sometimes brand name reflects quality, sometimes it doesn't, I guess we'll see with these knock-off mirage drives.  Hobie has owned this market for so long they can price things whatever they feel like. Competition is always a good thing for the consumer IMO.

I'm fairly certain that Hobie's Mirage Drive is made in the US. In addition to high manufacturing costs, they've had to amortize the engineering and development plus patent attorney costs, etc, etc.

I am sure you could get a V1 drive duplicated in China for $20-50K in tooling and $25 to $60 piece price.