slip n slide

backwards stripping guide

86 posts in this topic

I have never been accused of having a gentle touch.Sorta can't help it,big,buff guy.And my casting matches that.

Unfortunately,your basic stripper doesn't handle the velocity of my cast well and can often pile up in the first guide.I do use a basket and have gotten quite good at laying down a concentric pattern in my stripping so as to minimize tangles, as well as guiding w/ my hand the line as it exits ,but the line occasionally wraps around the stripper killing the cast.

Taking a cue from the makers of spinning rods, I tried turning my stripper "backwards",ie,w/ the single leg facing the cork,aaaaand, voila! Almost no tangles in two weeks of hard fishing(more'n a few 15-17 hr days,lol) at the Cape.That's a lot of casts and only three wraps that quickly released.I'm sold! Rest of my rods are gonna get re-wrapped!

You can also get Fuji LC surf guides which are an even further measure to reduce tangling and wrapping on that first guide. The next two rods I'm building are TH rods, for 650 and 850 grains. 650 would be probably ok coming to a hard stop, but 850 could possibly break the running line, so best to take precautions there. 

Thomas & Thomas stripping guides are wrapped this way from long time ago... The chief designer has even a complicated explanation but I thought is bs until now....

2 hours ago, Mark Ham said:

The chief designer has even a complicated explanation but I thought is bs until now....

It's still bs.

That’s the simplest fix slip. There was a fad  one time of mounting a line tamer guide about four inches away from the first stripper same size. It looked butt ugly was not that effective and added weight and cost.

Which pattern are you using.

mike

Tested a T&T rod last week. I mentioned to the shop, “hey is that stripper upside down?”    

Didnt get a firm answer either way. More Of a shrug. But totally makes sense now.  I like their weighted series rods. 

19 hours ago, Local66 said:

It's still bs.

When you've got the double leg facing fwd the loop that typically wraps the guide is forced off due to the double leg,not so when the single leg faces fwd,which allows the loop to tighten around the guide.Would'nt've believed it myself being told but two weeks proved otherwise.

I've tried the slanted K guides too,even worse for wrapping around the guide/not passing line.

Posted (edited)

Maybe you should use H&H strippers, two legs on both sides and they don’t corrode.

JC

D9B49297-27D5-46F1-8DA9-333C112BDA19.jpeg

Edited by JonC

Jon

For reduced tangle we only want the single leg facing the caster. It’s the two legs that are the supposed cause or if not the primary cause they don’t help much with this line wrap prob.

I suspect that the cause is us but I have no hard evidence of that. Other than its us casting the line.

I am tempted to fit the Fuji LC guide on my next TH rod build to see if it indeed does help.

Mike

21 hours ago, slip n slide said:

When you've got the double leg facing fwd the loop that typically wraps the guide is forced off due to the double leg,not so when the single leg faces fwd,which allows the loop to tighten around the guide.Would'nt've believed it myself being told but two weeks proved otherwise.

I've tried the slanted K guides too,even worse for wrapping around the guide/not passing line.

I owned a T&T horizon 9wt, which had the reversed stripper, and I've done the majority of my fishing with density compensated lines since the days of amnesia and Cortland cobra. If it works for you, awesome.

Mike,

The TH I'm working on right now will have a size 16 Fuji LC surf guide mounted backwards as the stripper. I have a hard time imagining it fouling up like my tornado guides do from time to time but the proof is on the beach. I'll be finding out for myself on my local lakes in probably two weeks time. 

Reversing 2 foot stripper guides has long been a fix for us spinners ...

Posted (edited)

31 mins ago, frazerp said:

I suspect it hasn't become a thing for flyboys yet because there's a lot more people who fish surf with conventional tackle than fly tackle, and we often can't cast nearly as far as you guys can. Our lines tend to be a lot thicker too and don't tangle like thin mono or braid. 

Still, I've had that wraparound problem with fly running line on my double handed rods, and several times on my single handed saltwater sticks too. I'll almost definitely be mounting guides backwards from now on if not going straight to the LC guides to ensure it won't happen on the rods I build for myself. 

Edited by RedGreen

wow,just looked at the LC,no way it could wrap those if reversed!

56 mins ago, frazerp said:

stole it from ya'll,credit where due....

5 hours ago, frazerp said:

Glad to see we have some spinners looking in at the freaks.

Wonder what you think of us trying to keep pace with you in the snotty weather?

Ted, really dude?  The best you could do was to flip a guide around? 

. . . man, I'm speechless. . .