Danny1199

July 2018 Fishing Reports

215 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, OrtleyBeach35 said:

Yes, no fluke all sun dials in ocean co as well...

All the SE wind is bringing in cold water ?

1 hour ago, odiemike86 said:

yaked in cape may county yesterday. Was out front fishing some close to shore structure. Landed 2 sheepshead and a 18" weakie on sheader crabs.

20180701_170926.jpg

We we're just talking about those things in another thread

I'd love to be able to consistently target them

23 mins ago, Sudsy said:

We we're just talking about those things in another thread

I'd love to be able to consistently target them

I've been targeting them in NJ for the last 3 years with some success. I learn a little more each trip so hopefully i'll be able to catch more.  I fish from my kayak so i can only fish when the wind and boat traffic allows. They put up a great fight. 

Well summer hit hard this past weekend and appears to stay with us with extreme heat. Water was just hitting 80 on the Raritan just heading out into the ocean. Huge schools of bunker and if you found the right one the blues were on them. Lots of them. Lost to many lures with double hook ups. Blues taking the lure while in another ones mouth. The best sight is seeing them launching out the water with the lure still stuck in the mouth like  20 minutes later. Looks like I'll be tying 80lb instead of 50lb next outing. Fluking has been slow for about a week now. Seems deeper water is doing the job now unless early morning or sundown you can hit them shallower. Be careful in this heat guys. I came off the kayak today and had a huge head rush from heat exhausting. You don't know it until you take that break. 

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, FishingmaniYaks said:

Be careful in this heat guys. I came off the kayak today and had a huge head rush from heat exhausting. You don't know it until you take that break. 

Found that out once. Early May, 80 degree air temps in the afternoon with a cold morning, cold water temps. On the yak all day with a wet suit. I went to get off the yak and couldn’t even stand. I just beached, stumbled to the truck, and sat for an hour to get my head straight. That was probably my fault but it’s def Scary 

Edited by Pma531

Out back OC. Power drifted the edges of a deep hole and then drifted straight over as the tide picked up. All fish picked in about a 50 yard radius in ~10-15 feet of water, all on the edges. All on gulp/bucktail w a trailer hook also tipped with gulp. My cousin clocked his PB, which dwarfs my 18 incher next to it lol. Thankful water is warming up so we can finally ditch flats fishing.IMG_1232.JPG.6b9e1d0f6742b83a6a185d298a831257.JPG

Saturday night MC out front 9pm on incoming caught a monster manta ray. What a fight! These things are a pisser!!

Amazing blood red moon.

79DF31E5-5C39-4851-BCF5-6E498319C547.jpeg

2 hours ago, VF96 said:

Out back OC. Power drifted the edges of a deep hole and then drifted straight over as the tide picked up. All fish picked in about a 50 yard radius in ~10-15 feet of water, all on the edges. All on gulp/bucktail w a trailer hook also tipped with gulp. My cousin clocked his PB, which dwarfs my 18 incher next to it lol. Thankful water is warming up so we can finally ditch flats fishing.IMG_1232.JPG.6b9e1d0f6742b83a6a185d298a831257.JPG

How long was that big one? Looks pretty big!

6 mins ago, Pma531 said:

How long was that big one? Looks pretty big!

Only 24.5, but nice and thick. Had a small sea robin or 2 in its belly. They and some blowfish were harassing us throughout the day

8 hours ago, VF96 said:

Only 24.5, but nice and thick. Had a small sea robin or 2 in its belly. They and some blowfish were harassing us throughout the day

That's sweet revenge.  The other day I watched a sea robin hector a 4" fluke and eventually eat it.  The poor little fluke was tail walking all over the place but the sea robin was relentless.

I'm sorry but 24.5 inches shouldn't be labeled as "only". That's more than a solid flounder. 

Fishing has turned to garbage this week. Out back CmC last night from 530-730 and nothing again except for a **** load of seaweed. Had something nibble but probably only either a snapper or maybe small sea bass. More rays swimming around. There are more of them this year than i have seen in the past so not sure what's going on with them. 

This morning 530-630am, not a tap. This sucks. 

Thats a nice gamefish

34 mins ago, FunkyBunker said:

I'm sorry but 24.5 inches shouldn't be labeled as "only". That's more than a solid flounder. 

Thats a beautiful gamefish!

13 hours ago, VF96 said:

Wow ! Good fish.

3 hours ago, FunkyBunker said:

Lol i say only because that fluke had some shoulders on him. First glance looked at least 26+, and he weighed more than an "average" 24 incher, almost 6.5lb