Local24 SSP

Homemade Livewell

16 posts in this topic

Put together a relatively cheap knock off Hobie Livewell. All and all it cost me about $80. Trying to figure out how to put a second drain on it so that I can empty it while out on the water. I have two 1” overflow drains at around the 6 gallon mark, so that hopefully water will constantly be replaced with fresh water. Otherwise tomorrow will be it’s trial run. 

56EA4952-8910-4C69-8CBA-513AFD4276C6.jpeg

55A6EA4C-8A5D-443F-915C-6CA58D05AAB3.jpeg

8BE18A9E-053C-45BB-AA28-C2595A047AFC.jpeg

DC27A3C3-FB2B-4F9D-BAAB-09BDD8405CF1.jpeg

Where did you get the tank? Looks like it could be made into a nice live well. Did it come with a top?

Thanks

Gil

Yes it has an airtight threaded top, left it out of pictures. Search amazon for Vittles Vault. It’s a pet food container. 

Looks good...... I've seen this before,  same pet feeder mod.

Best....

Thanks for the info. I found it, cheap too. Can't wait to see the rest of the project.

Thanks again

Gil

No problem. Worked pretty well

this morning. I’m going to try and set it up so that it only fills to a certain level. Otherwise, money well spent. 

Did you get the small or large vittles vault? Could you have piped yours through the rear scuppers like the Hobie livewell? 

Thanks again

Gil

On 7/1/2018 at 1:25 PM, Local24 SSP said:

No problem. Worked pretty well

this morning. I’m going to try and set it up so that it only fills to a certain level. Otherwise, money well spent. 

What pump and battery did you use?

I used a pentair piranha, but that’s only

because I’m certified with pentair pumps. Any livewell pump will work, just make sure it is rated or reviewed to continuously run. I didn’t run it through the scupper for fear of having a 3/4 pipe going through each scupper and flooding the back of my  semi-overloaded kayak lol. 

As far as batteries, purchase a sealed rechargeable battery that doesn’t overload the amp/voltage rating of the pump. Don’t forget to put an inline fuse on the hot leg. 

7 hours ago, Local24 SSP said:

I used a pentair piranha, but that’s only

because I’m certified with pentair pumps. Any livewell pump will work, just make sure it is rated or reviewed to continuously run. I didn’t run it through the scupper for fear of having a 3/4 pipe going through each scupper and flooding the back of my  semi-overloaded kayak lol. 

As far as batteries, purchase a sealed rechargeable battery that doesn’t overload the amp/voltage rating of the pump. Don’t forget to put an inline fuse on the hot leg. 

Interested to know how many hours run time you get on a specific battery and pump. 

I had it running for maybe an hour and a half, battery was reading 11.8v when I got home. The piranha pump was honestly a little much, you could get away with a smaller pump. I think a pump that will do around 400-500 GPH would be perfect. The piranha with a 1ft suction line can do over 1000GPH. 

I would turn it on and let it run for about 5 minutes then shut it off for 10-15 and repeat. Snappers and peanut bunker stayed alive and well until I stopped using the pump. 

I built a livewell for surf fishing that plugs into truck and has a control that turns the pump on for something like 30 seconds every three or four minutes, I think the switch was about $30, which drives cost of total build up a bit but it is nice to not worry about turning it on and off. Goggle aerator  or livewell pump control....

.nice job!.....Jack

Not a bad idea. Only tough part would be if the pump lost prime, how could I turn it off and on with a timer? 

Cool idea. Did something similar years ago and used an Igloo water cooler for the bait tank. Insulated so it keeps the water from warming too much.Used the pump to continuously run the water. Holes in PVC pipe just above the water line allowed the water to aerate some too.