SkunkLuvver

Quonnie B&T

22 posts in this topic

Anyone have any interesting experiences there since Robin moved on?

I popped in this week to pick up a shellfish license I’d forgotten to get on line and a couple fluke jigs and couldn’t believe the way the guy treated me. Not sure if I did something to rub him the wrong way but he was full on pi$$ed about doing the license to the point of actually yelling at me.

My GF was standing there stunned by it so needless to say once the permit was printed I put the jigs back and left.

I used to love going in to chat with Robin and pick up a couple things and wanted to support the new owner but couldn’t bring myself to give him the business after that.

I don’t want to bash a business without having all the info but I got the impression it was the last thing in the world this guy wanted to be doing.

Anyone (hopefully) have a better experience since Robin left?

I was there earlier this spring.  Really liked Robin, sorry they sold the business.  I found the new owner, Greg?, very friendly.  He went out of his way to be nice and helpful.  I'll be back in the area again around the fourth and will buy some more stuff.  I'm hoping you caught him on a bad day.    

I’m glad to hear you had a better experience, hopefully I just got him on a bad day. 

I’ll give em another try next time I’m down.. I hate to see B&T shops disappear so try to go out of my way to support them.

I was in there in the spring. He had almost nothing in terms of inventory and I knew all the "insider fishing info" he gave me was false. I see no reason to go back.

59 mins ago, Kima said:

I was in there in the spring. He had almost nothing in terms of inventory and I knew all the "insider fishing info" he gave me was false. I see no reason to go back.

When I was there they were low on inventory too but he was just getting started and said they’d have more stuff soon.    Not sure it is a good idea to open half empty but not my store.  

I assume it is now now fully stocked?   

Actually, inventory was pretty minimal. There were some assorted hook sizes, a few jigs and some nice hand turned plugs in a case that looked like they were for show and not sale. There was frozen bait but one of the live bait tanks was empty and I didn’t see if there were eels or not. Figured by now they’d have their summer inventory but as mentioned, not my shop.

23 hours ago, notime said:

I was there earlier this spring.  Really liked Robin, sorry they sold the business.  I found the new owner, Greg?, very friendly.  He went out of his way to be nice and helpful.  I'll be back in the area again around the fourth and will buy some more stuff.  I'm hoping you caught him on a bad day.    

You may have just caught the new owner on a bad day or right after he dealt with a tough customer? Working at a bait shop can be very stressful at times believe it or not.

2 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

You may have just caught the new owner on a bad day or right after he dealt with a tough customer? Working at a bait shop can be very stressful at times believe it or not.

That’s what I’m gonna chalk it up to.

i could see owning a B&T to be pretty stressful. The inventory you need to keep everyone happy for all the different target species/ methods while having to compete with the prices of the big boxes and amazons who have huge buying power and razor thin margins sounds like hell... add into that not being able to fish yourself and it sounds like a recipe for cranky.

Ill cut the guy some slack :angel:

I do not agree with cutting slack.  Retail business is very competitive these days.  I can go to many restaurants that will sell me good veal parm, but I choose to go to the restaurant with the best service.  

I've been involved in retail for the last 51 years and I agree that it's difficult to maintain your composure every day, but you must grin and bear it.....even with difficult customers and trying situations.  A seasonal bait and tackle business depends on repeat customers.  Bad service to even one person............see what it  generates? It's not like being a famous person where any press, bad or good, is considered good.  Bad press in a retail business is never good.  The loss of one customer means the loss of plenty of others, but  you can never really know how many.  Much as great personal recommendations can help a business, bad reviews hurt a business.

I was there Friday for a shellfish license- Pete was very helpful and very friendly. No problem going back !

Then there is Our Category . Blue Collar . That shop has been Blue Collar for EVER . The guy probably had a bad Day . Opening a Shop people only getting licenses not thats a bad thing . He is probably second guessing his dissition to open a Store . 

Don't count the store out Yet . If Capt Don ,Or John Or Tim are looking Down thats a Great Cloud watching over . 

Give the guy another chance . 

Hell most people that have ever met me say " Who is this Clown" . 

My own 2 cents .

YT .  

Tough location out in the middle of nowhere

Some stiff competition in the form of Watch Hill Outfitters and Walmart.

Best of luck to the new owners

10 hours ago, borntafish said:

So true,,,, the clown part that is.

:laugh:

Takes a lot to open a small seasonal business, even tougher if he's on a  budget ( reading into the small inventory comments ). Like others have said maybe you caught him on a bad day, we all have them. Our friends Capt. Don, John, and Tim are watching over the shop so lets give him a shot.