Duck NC July 15th-21st

Rate this topic

robmedina

Heading down to OBX for family vacation. I know this is not the best time to go fishing but what is going on nearshore? I would like to charter a halfday trip with wife and kids- Any suggestions?

Also, I will likely bring my hobie adventure island to try and get out in the marshes near the oregon inlet. Any tips for that area on what is biting. I assume trout and possibly some reds?

Much appreciate your responses. 

Rob

If a man has no plan for the future, any road will take him there. 

Kayak ... Put in behind Boddie Light, or Wanchese. You'll find the trout and pups. Popping corks,  Jigs and gulp baits and mirrolures.

Good Sheepshead fishing around the bridge .. Pick your days though.You can also put in at the OI  fishing center..

Half day trip nearshore Gal O Mine out of Oregon Inlet Fishing Ctr. Hopefully by then the Cobia will be back out from the Bay.. We haven't seen them for a few weeks and the water is heating up there so they will come back down. Lots of Cobia boats that can take you also..The Spanish bite for the last three weeks has been on fire.

Kayak soundside tip - get out on the water early, like an hour or more before sun up.  The fish are usually shallow in 1-3 feet of water feeding on bait and their activity can be incredible.  Once the sun is up they go deeper.

Edited by NH Paul

15 hours ago, DaBig2na said:

Kayak ... Put in behind Boddie Light, or Wanchese. You'll find the trout and pups. Popping corks,  Jigs and gulp baits and mirrolures.

Good Sheepshead fishing around the bridge .. Pick your days though.You can also put in at the OI  fishing center..

Half day trip nearshore Gal O Mine out of Oregon Inlet Fishing Ctr. Hopefully by then the Cobia will be back out from the Bay.. We haven't seen them for a few weeks and the water is heating up there so they will come back down. Lots of Cobia boats that can take you also..The Spanish bite for the last three weeks has been on fire.

Spanish and Cobia would be awesome. Thanks!

13 hours ago, NH Paul said:

Kayak soundside tip - get out on the water early, like an hour or more before sun up.  The fish are usually shallow in 1-3 feet of water feeding on bait and their activity can be incredible.  Once the sun is up they go deeper.

thanks for the tip!

23 hours ago, NH Paul said:

In Duck? Or are you talking about down toward the inlet?

21 hours ago, yosco said:

In Duck? Or are you talking about down toward the inlet?

OP is looking to go south towards Oregon Inlet so I am referring to Nags Head and south.  However, it's pretty common that the fish are more actively feeding before sun-up in the ocean and sounds during the hot months.  I don't fish north of the Wright bridge so I can't comment on there.