Friday mornings at the canal

Rate this topic

15 mins ago, yemista said:

I have yet to fish the canal this year, especially with all the reports of it being mobbed. How has it been lately? Im considering taking Friday off from work to go down there, but I dont want to waste my time if its shoulder to shoulder. Any reports? I tend to fish the RR bridge mainland side

Unfortunately mobbed is the new norm

Thats Part of the reason why I picked up lobster fishing again. It is more work than most report chasers will be willing to put in.

I keep hearing that the canal is dead yet every time I bring my fishing rod I am able to catch stripers. 

I don’t think the canal is dead, Report chasers cannot catch fish unless there is a blitz ( apparently) and I think the real fisherman are learning to keep their mouth shut

I always tell my friends to go fishing whenever you can, any given Cast can be your new personal best.

Fancy catches fisherman, simple catches fish

1 hour ago, The BuzzardsBayBruin said:

Thats Part of the reason why I picked up lobster fishing again. It is more work than most report chasers will be willing to put in.

I keep hearing that the canal is dead yet every time I bring my fishing rod I am able to catch stripers. 

I don’t think the canal is dead, Report chasers cannot catch fish unless there is a blitz ( apparently) and I think the real fisherman are learning to keep their mouth shut

I always tell my friends to go fishing whenever you can, any given Cast can be your new personal best.

"I always tell my friends to go fishing whenever you can, any given Cast can be your new personal best." well said:)

2 hours ago, The BuzzardsBayBruin said:

That must be a short list. :laugh:

The Sultan of Sluggo

13 mins ago, Beachorbust said:

How long does it take to get to Boston from say, the herring run at 7 am?

Good luck with that. 93 will be a parking lot all the way into the city. Even a few miles of rt 3, leading up to 93, will suck for traffic. There's no easy way to get back into the city after a weekday morning at the canal. I've tried a few times.  :)

Lord, threads like this are so depressing to read.  My kids are finally grown and my wife and I have the time to go to the club and fish the canal again.  The best part of it all was how quiet it was.  Ten years ago it was literally me and one or two other guys jigging at night on the mainland side.  I can't even picture a bunch of people jigging at 11pm; I have never seen that in the past.  We could just go from spot to spot, never a worry.  

Well, I will find out what it like for real this weekend.  Either I will be pleasantly surprised or I will resort to ultra light gear and jigging for yellow perch :)  Pete