John P

current fishing reports?

111 posts in this topic

Just wondering why there are so few reports on fishing in CT on this site.  I have been  having a tough time finding bass or blues.  Am I missing something?  Don't want any spot talk .just how everyone is doing.  THX, I'll report if I have anything good going on.

How accurate is that report?  Seems to me to be a lot of repetition and very optimistic. 

1 hour ago, notime said:

How accurate is that report?  Seems to me to be a lot of repetition and very optimistic. 

So, point John P to a better one 

Well, you have OTW's reports.

Here's my latest.

Friday fluking, 2 of us got about 40, but only 5 keepers to 25", 20 of the shorts had to be 18" though.

Launched at Pine Island and went over to Weekapaug, back the South side of Fishers through the race back to Groton.

Did not see any stripers or blues working the top all day. 

29 mins ago, Paul E said:

So, point John P to a better one 

I was actually asking on your thoughts about it’s accuracy.    Not saying it was a bad suggestion.   I use Fisherman mag, OTW, and the DEEP report.   Just curious of your opinion on DEEP.  

9 hours ago, John P said:

Just wondering why there are so few reports on fishing in CT on this site.  I have been  having a tough time finding bass or blues.  Am I missing something?  Don't want any spot talk .just how everyone is doing.  THX, I'll report if I have anything good going on.

Can’t be much help as have been fishing outside of CT most of the spring and the one time I went it was bottom fishing for about 30-45 minutes.  

In 30-40 minutes one or two bites.  No fish.  Using squid on hi-lo and jigging.   I was scouting new locations while waiting for my kids to get to ramp to go wake boarding.    I got a late start and they got an early start so by the time I got to my fishing area it was practically time to head back.   

Anyway, fished two new places that looked good on the map but zip.  No seabass, scup or even searobins.   Was  looking for scup and seabass for when I take kids.   Definitely no bass or blues or birds on top.   

Very limited shore access + mediocre fishing = no reports

18 hours ago, notime said:

I was actually asking on your thoughts about it’s accuracy.    Not saying it was a bad suggestion.   I use Fisherman mag, OTW, and the DEEP report.   Just curious of your opinion on DEEP.  

Sorry - my bad. 

I think they report what they can. I see they’re leaving out a spot that I fish. In past years they’ve recommended it. Not this year. I agree with them - there are no fish there this year. 

I like how they report when squid are moving in, when bonito and albies arrive. It’s not useless, but it’s up to a week old so they’re really reporting trends from week-to-week. 

I've found the DEEP reports to be very repetitive and almost useless.

I scouted a new spot in western ct on sunday for a couple hours, handful of keeper scup and a lot of short fluke. This was on the kayak.

There are pods of bunker central coastal CT but nothing is on them. They are filter feeding along without a worry. This ensuing heat wave should help with water temps and bring the fish in. 

If the spring run bypasses us, we'll have an epic fall run on return fish stopping by for the buffet.

I fish east of New Haven. 

Shore - pretty bad. No bait. I few spearing but absolutely no bunker inshore. I've been picking a few small fish but nothing over 25" in over a week. 

Boat - pretty good. Finally found keeper fluke although nothing over 22". Tons of robins. No sea bass (I've heard they are west of Faulkner's but can't confirm.) stripers have been fantastic. Landed my first 40 (41# to be exact) and plenty of keepers all drifting live eels over nasty bottom. 

Hoping the bunker show soon. 

Forgot about bluefish. I forgot because I haven't seen one yet! '16 caught my first in the CT River on 5/15. '17 it was 6/8. This year..... July??? Wtf....

Thanks for your replies, I was out for a short time this AM,but the wave action made working the  shore line impossible.  There are bunker in the lower CT river,but nothing on them.  Almost no one was out early this AM,which says something about how the action has been I guess. Tomorrow looks like a bomb out with thunder and lightning a good part of the day.  I will continue to try to figure out the puzzle.

19 hours ago, FlukeOff said:

Forgot about bluefish. I forgot because I haven't seen one yet! '16 caught my first in the CT River on 5/15. '17 it was 6/8. This year..... July??? Wtf....

there was a big wave of them first weekend in June west of you in norwalk area.  Then we've seen snapper sized blues recently.  weird.