Opinions on wet suit Fishing or waders etc?

Rate this topic

Mikeinri

I like to fish in my waders.   Typically fish the salt water ponds (ninigret etc). I also go in the surf though not deep enough to get water in.  If I see a big wave coming I back out a little.  Sometimes fish from the jetties as well (with spikes)   I know this is not the safest thing to do while wearing waders.  I do wear a surf belt and a sharp knife but there’s no guarantee things won’t go bad.   Now that I have a family I am ready to do something for safety.. just not sure what.   I feel like wearing a wet suit must be the safest but not very comfortable?   Can anyone tell me what they think about wetsuit comfort and if they are hot?  What type of suit?  Must be thinnest neoprene?  I also scuba dive and always my least favorite thing is wearing a wetsuit and comes right off when I’m done the dive.   Maybe I’m a little claustrophobic and feel quite constricted so if I’m not swimming feel like this could get bothersome.  Like the idea of being able to just swim if I have to and not sink to the bottom though.  Also see nice surf jackets out there that I could wear over my waders.  They seem just as uncomfortable to me.   What do you all do to stay safe out there and also comfortable.  If wetsuit do you wear wader boots or the neoprene ones like divers? Love some help here so I make the best decision.  Thank you SOL 

Edited by Mikeinri

Made the switch this year to wetsuit from waders when fishing the beach front. A wetsuit allows you to get deeper and is safer. It also allows you to get to spots that you never could in waders like an island or a bar beyond the deep section. I use a 3/2 for warm nights and a 4/3 for when it is 60 or colder (most summer nights are on the water).

The only downsides are that you need a sealed reel, a sealed head lamp, a dry case for your phone or keys, and you are wet the whole time (which can get annoying on a long session). Given how cold the water usually is and that I fish primarily at night, I never get too hot, and if you ever do, a quick flush down the neck works fine. If anything, the 3/2 I was using (top of the line xcel surf suit) was too cold for most nights.

For boots, it depends on the spot. For sand, I wear surf booties (flats booties would also work). When rocks are in the picture, I wear wading boots with studs.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. -Thoreau

I don't fish on jetty's as much as I used to, but when I did, I used to wear Grundens bibs and a PDF. It gives you the ability to stay dry, but let water drain through, should you get swept in, unlike waders. 

I also had a small gaff I made from an old hockey stick, that I used to bring to lip fish with, to keep me away from the waves crashing in at the bottom. 

The problem with a wetsuit on a jetty in summer months, is the inability to cool off. Unless you walk to the sand and go in and let some water in. I'm no wetsuit expert, but when I have worn one, I used to be trying to cool down quite often. Just my .02.

One piece wet suits can be uncomfortable for some people. You can do a farmer john 3mm - 5mm and add a surftop of your choosing and layer when your need it. Stohlquist makes a good 3mm farmer john.

I am probably 50/50 with my wetsuit and waders. I like the dry comfortable aspect of my waders and dry top but I don’t get too crazy in them. When I wear my wetsuit it’s a bit more annoying to be wet/cold all night but I can safely get to places that I couldn’t in my waders. I Fish bways in ri every now and again and mostly wear my waders but if there’s a big swell I will put my wetsuit on as I’m not trying to go swimming in my waders. I would recommend not using a headlamp if swimming in a wetsuit. A waterproof flashlight around you neck is a little easier to deal with and you can get a good light for short money. 

I’m never cold in my waders at all. If I decide to stick with waders and go with a surf top.. has anyone here even fall in?   Do you get wet inside your waders.  I wear a surf belt so sure that helps a bit but does water even make it there? Would think you would be soaked but not dull of water to where you sink? I’m assuming if the water level is above my chest than the surf top isn’t going to do too much?

Edited by Mikeinri

I would never wear a wetsuit if I was fishing a beach front, this is where I use waders. If I am fishing boulder fields or low jetty where I am constantly getting splashed then I wear a wetsuit. If I am fishing a high jetty like IBSP all you really need are some korkers and normal clothes imo.

You mentioned multiple times about a surf belt. Although it will help it is not guaranteed to keep you dry if you go under. There is still room for water to get down but it surely minimize the amount of water. A surf top will help for sure especially if it has neoprene cuffs

I have a wetsuit that I only wear when I hit certain spots in cape cod bay. Its a john NRS 2mil with a felt type lining on the inside. Very comfortable. I wear dive boots as well. 

I don’t go past my waist cause eff that crap. Its more of a safety net in case I slip in the channel and get swept out.

It all depends on the type of fishing you do.  Sometimes fishing a wetsuit will allow you to get out beyond a weed line or a shallow reef.  Like others mention...its safer and easier and without as much as a hassle.

Most waders are a pain in the ass.  You end up wet anyway. They leak..trap moisture....etc..

Wetsuiting...its like more like embracing the surf than fighting it.

Consider it like this.  appropriate gear for the appropriate application. Like,  I do not wear a parka in the summer.

Consider it wet wading and having the right layers to do that.  If the water is warm enough...you can do everything in a swim suit. No wetsuit necessary.

I will not wear waders in the summer...too hot...

Nor will I wear a 5mm wetsuit....too hot.

Layer appropriately to be comfortable.

I like the 3mm farmer john. I wear that thing the whole season...even into november lately. I also have a number of layers for my core that can get my core up to 7mm...plus a wind break.

In the summer a 3mm farmer john is very comfortable with just a rash guard and when the sun drops a wind break.

If daytime fishing in the summer. I will just wet-wade with a pair of regular shorts but I also have a pair of 2mm wetsuit shorts and a 1.5 mm shirt I wear. Definitely more comfortable than baking in the sun in waders.

dry beach or jetty fishing when its cooler out. I like waders. I like being dry, but its only that way on the bookends.  Once it warms up... waders for me are like an oven and often end up as wet as if I just wetsuited. Definitely need to be in the water warmer seasons to be comfortable.

Odd question and no intention of getting too off topic but I'm in the same debate, fishing off beaches in California. I generally wear a farmer John style wetsuit, been thinking about switching to waders. Has anyone had a bad reaction to being in a wetsuit all day on the beach such as rash or infection? I always rinse of my wetsuit, but still paranoid.

Like the topic. Been struggling to make a jump to wet suit. I'm cold now sitting on my porch just thinking about it. I hear the safety part of it. Just can't see myself enjoying the wet. If I didn't catch fish being dry I'd probably be in a suit by now but since I feel I do pretty good staying dry in my waders I think I'm gonna hold.off just a bit. Still want a suit for an occasional experience 

9 hours ago, Norcalbeachbum said:

Odd question and no intention of getting too off topic but I'm in the same debate, fishing off beaches in California. I generally wear a farmer John style wetsuit, been thinking about switching to waders. Has anyone had a bad reaction to being in a wetsuit all day on the beach such as rash or infection? I always rinse of my wetsuit, but still paranoid.

Never anything serious....just minor chafe.

I wear rashgard and rashgard types like underarmour compression under the wetsuit. 

Wrinsing and properly drying your wetsuit is important.  Some shampoo them. I do not and have not seen any ill affects.

I fished California a bit and like any coast...there are places where sewage gets introduced.  That is a point of concern.

Some guys will pee in their suit. I think that is pretty nasty. I remember fishing with a bunch of guys and one guy peed in his suit and we all jumped into another anglers beach buggie.  I could smell it...disgusting and very strong smelling....hahahaha. maybe he ate asparagus. ....and I cannot help but think  that some of it leaked into the vehicle. Using your wetsuit as a toilet is an option, but probably not healthy....hahahahha.  

I think I would worry about getting an infection from the fish over from wetsuiting. 

I use waders in early spring and late fall, or when I am fishing a spot where getting out far doesn't matter or where there is not much danger (also sometimes if i dont want to deal with getting wet).  Otherwise fishing in a wet suit is great, you can swim out farther, wade out further, and have a cushion of safety if you fall in.  I use my wet suit for any wading from early June on (5 mil for cooler water, 3 mil for warmer), a sealed real is a huge advantage, with both you can get out further and faster and separate yourself from folks just using waders.  In the fall i will wear wet suit when fishing rocks if there is a big surf and i know i will need to get near the water, i feel safer and it lets me be a bit more adventurous, takes a little getting used too but you will not regret it.

^^ I didnt even notice it didnt get censored, I guess anal is acceptable in SOL....