Penn Fathom 30 - birds nest

Rate this topic

Peter8

I believe you got the lever drag version vs the better casting star drag version. Freespool is for quick drops as lever drags are better suited for boat fishing.

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Hi guys

Thats correct it’s a lever drag which is honestly expected to be the exact same as the star drag with the only difference being the drag control..

why the hell would anyone design a fishing wheel called the same - Penn Fathom” for two completely difference purposes - surf and boat - that pisses me off...

So I guess this reel is completely useless then?

Can anyone recommend me a good surf LH reel that is not Penn? I’m done with that company..

Kind regards,

Peter

Peter , It's not useless. You will have to practice more with it. For that matter , practice, and then more practice. Thumb pressure will come to you eventually with out thinking about it.Still why the 15' rod. Some times a long rod makes you lose distance when casting. My longest rod I can cast is the 12' with the 990 reel. One I can cast farther is a 10' with a Penn squidder 140. That conventional rod's . My spinners ,I get about the same. But I'm 68 years old. Long casting day's are gone. :howdy:

Capt, Frank Mundus. The man, the myth, the legand.

Peter Since you already have the reel start casting with a little less mono on the spool.

Try 1/4" below the spool flange.

You should have less backlashes,IF NOT cut off the backlash line and start casting with what is left on the spool. You should have less trouble. If not when you backlash this amount of line. cut it off and cast with the rest of the line on the spool.

Mono is cheaper to play with than braid. You won't learn it in a day.

Just go and have fun.

Hi guys

Okay I’ll give it a chance then. Since I don’t have any type of breaking on the reel could you guys give me an idea of how to manage my thumb?

I guess that I need to do quite a lot of thumb breaking in the start as my backlash happens nearly immediately and the inertia is biggest in the start I guess...

ill try to have 50% of the line of the reel.

Kind Regards,

Peter

You can cast anything, but consistent distance may elude you. Slight tweaks to the spool tension may give you some control. If funds allow pick up a new or used Abu 7000 or similar.

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Peter,

As the saying goes, " One man's junk is another man's treasure."

If your reel is in new condition, it should bring enough resale to purchase the star drag model. 

Welcome to the surf casting advertising/misinformation roller coaster. Joining the SOL community has helped me get enough information to make more informed decisions. You might find the search function is a valuable asset for this type of research as well.

I have always had good experiences with Penn customer service, and they have always had any part that I could not source locally. 

Hi all

I got so tired of the Penn reel that I just purchased a "Daiwa Millionaire 7HT Mag". I got a very good deal and they guy told me that its an excellent surf casting reel. I hope you guys agree with that... and I just need to get used to it not being a LH which seems to be the way forward if I want to be a surf caster.

I think I'll put my Penn for sales as suggested above, but I doubt that anyone will buy it as a boat fishing reel as it doesn't have the line controlling device that automatically distributes it on the spool. Who in the world would buy this as a boat reel?

Anyways, I was thinking that maybe I can put a magnetic break on it? s-l1600.jpg

Would it be possible to just buy an entire side plate like that an screw it on?

Kind Regards,

Peter

Edited by caster1990
external link removed