Holy Grail Reel?

Rate this topic

Fagro

Looking for suggestions for a one reel quiver. Right now I'm using 710z's and 704z's for my rods. Rods are 7' 9' 10' and 11'. 

My reels are both bailed and bailess, some with braid.

Ideally I would like one reel that would be suitable for all my rods, long casting, braid friendly (30#?) bailess or manual bail or a real solid bail mechanism, and affordable. 

This unicorn may not exist, but maybe something close.

You really are probably looking at 2 reels to cover those 4 rods, I would look at the 7 + 9 as one reel and the 10 + 11 as another reel, otherwise you are going to find that the reel that feels great on the 10' feels huge on the 7' and vice versa, I've tried it, closest I got was a 550ssg and a vsb150 they both felt a little big on the 7, perfect on the 9, questionable on the 10 and way too small on the 11.  I settled with giving the vsb150 to my wife for an 8' and 9', using a vs150 on 7-8'6" and a vs200/vs250 on the 9-11' range

56 mins ago, Fagro said:

What about  a 4k-5k reel (20# braid) for the 7' and 9'... and 6k (40-50#) for the 10' and 11'?

Gossa or Slammer 3?

There is a bit of size and capacity differences between sizes when you compare reels from different manufactures. If my opinion means anything you should look for 2 reels. One being @14oz and that holds 300 yards of 30 lb braid and another reel @ 20- 22 oz that holds 50 of 30lb braid. I really like the sizing and capacity of the quantum Boca or Cabo. This is a nice do it all for 7-9 ft rods. I used to be a big 710z guy and this reel has been fantastic. Pretty much spot on for Penn 710 duty. It's got great capacity for a 14 oz reel. While you ay choose to use 20lb it's nice to be able to go to 30 in a pinch. A reel like a Penn Battle 2 sized in 5 or  6k would be my choice for the larger reel.

3 hours ago, Fagro said:

Looking for suggestions for a one reel quiver. Right now I'm using 710z's and 704z's for my rods. Rods are 7' 9' 10' and 11'. 

My reels are both bailed and bailess, some with braid.

Ideally I would like one reel that would be suitable for all my rods, long casting, braid friendly (30#?) bailess or manual bail or a real solid bail mechanism, and affordable. 

This unicorn may not exist, but maybe something close.

You already own them. The 710 &704 are great reels. Save your money.