Dropping fish while chunking (with circle hooks)

Rate this topic

drmevo

A strange thing happened last night when I was out chunking frozen mackerel off a jetty. It’s probably some noob mistake I’m making but I haven’t had this problem before. I was using a bait runner style reel with the secondary drag  engaged. I would get a hit, the secondary drag would be screaming, but I could not buy a hook set. I was using all different kinds of circles - non-offset, offset, size 6, 7, 8,

mustad, gamakatsu, owner...it didn’t seem to matter. I know not to try a big hook set like with traditional hooks - I was basically engaging the main drag by giving the handle a few slow turns to let the fish hook itself. However, shortly after doing that the fish would be gone.

I ended up with one dropped fish that I nearly landed, 1 landed fish, and probably a dozen or more bites like I described with no hookset. I’ve rarely had a circle hook fail in such a way. Maybe they were all micros that couldn’t take in the bait? Or something else? We don’t have many other species here in NH. 

Edited by Sudsy

There is no hook set with non offset circle hooks, you let them run for a bit, point your rod in the direction of the fish and engage the main drag. They will start to tighten up and eventually hook themselves. Once you are hooked up the fight is on. Enjoy

You’re not some crazy uncle you know!

I'm so glad I don't live in the fact-less bizarro world you live in...just sayin'.

8 mins ago, Stonesipher said:

There is no hook set with non offset circle hooks, you let them run for a bit, point your rod in the direction of the fish and engage the main drag. They will start to tighten up and eventually hook themselves. Once you are hooked up the fight is on. Enjoy

Thanks, yeah, like I mentioned, I just engaged the main drag by turning the handle after they started to run a bit but I kept losing them. I just meant that the circles weren't hooking them.

4 mins ago, jmarino1432 said:

it could have just been smaller fish gumming the baits and not fully eating them. Circle hooks should not be set as previously mentioned. Sometimes setting the hook as soon as they hit works better although i prefer to let them run a bit

That's what I'm thinking.

3 mins ago, Sandflee said:

sounds stupid, but when you hook your bait make sure there is not a scale on the point of the hook

Good point but after about the 4th missed fish I started changing hooks and it was still happening. 

Edited by drmevo

Biggest mistake when chunking is hooking your bait too deep. You essentially want the hook to separate from the bait easily. Also, you want the hook point totally exposed so it can actually set in the fish.

Make sure you have a decent sized hook. Bass have pretty thick lips. I like to fish a hook that is between a 5/0-8/0. Most of the time I'm using a 6/0 or 7/0. Sizes vary by manufacturer though so take that with a grain of salt.

If you are fishing an octopus hook, you can't just tie a regular knot. You have to snell. The hook won't set right. If you don't want to snell, get hooks with an inline eye.

Make sure you aren't using dull hooks. If your hook is cheap or well used, you won't drive the hook point in all the way. You'll have it for a second and then it's gone.

Lastly, the baitrunner will cost you lots of fish. They can feel the secondary drag and will spit the bait. I only use it when I need to set the rod down for a minute. Way better to just open the bail, lightly pinch the line with your fingers, then let go of it when you get a take. Point the rod towards the fish. Walk towards it if you are on land.

How long you let him run is subjective. I feel it really depends on the day. Sometimes they are aggressive and inhale the bait right away. Other times they play with it. Other times it's small fish that can't get it all the way in their mouth. Experiment each time you go fishing and adapt to the environment/conditions.

One more thing. If you are fishing a circle, don't start reeling like crazy after you let him run. You'll just yank the bait out of it's mouth. Let the fish, set the hook.

Check out this video. It's the best demonstration that I've seen of how a circle hook actually sets.

Edited by GooganFish

3 hours ago, GooganFish said:

Biggest mistake when chunking is hooking your bait too deep. You essentially want the hook to separate from the bait easily. Also, you want the hook point totally exposed so it can actually set in the fish.

Make sure you have a decent sized hook. Bass have pretty thick lips. I like to fish a hook that is between a 5/0-8/0. Most of the time I'm using a 6/0 or 7/0. Sizes vary by manufacturer though so take that with a grain of salt.

If you are fishing an octopus hook, you can't just tie a regular knot. You have to snell. The hook won't set right. If you don't want to snell, get hooks with an inline eye.

Make sure you aren't using dull hooks. If your hook is cheap or well used, you won't drive the hook point in all the way. You'll have it for a second and then it's gone.

Lastly, the baitrunner will cost you lots of fish. They can feel the secondary drag and will spit the bait. I only use it when I need to set the rod down for a minute. Way better to just open the bail, lightly pinch the line with your fingers, then let go of it when you get a take. Point the rod towards the fish. Walk towards it if you are on land.

How long you let him run is subjective. I feel it really depends on the day. Sometimes they are aggressive and inhale the bait right away. Other times they play with it. Other times it's small fish that can't get it all the way in their mouth. Experiment each time you go fishing and adapt to the environment/conditions.

Wow, great post, thanks! Now that you mention it, some of the hooks I was using were octopus hooks and I just tied an improved clinch. That makes sense now. Good to know about the 

baitrunner too. I will try that method next time. 

12 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Look closely at how this bait fish head is hooked on the circle hook with the gap and as much of the belly of the hook as exposed as possible. 

20180606_234026.jpg

that mono going directly thru the eye of the sinker is a recipe for disaster, use a fishfinder sleeve

If you try to change it, you will ruin it. Try to hold it, and you will lose it.

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

When fishing circles I don't let the fish run at all, keep the drag fully engaged

A bass is going to take the whole chunk in one motion, if it doesn't it's a very small fish I don't want to deal with anyway.

Generally when chunking I'm using two rods, one in the hands with J hooks, the second in a steel (NOT PLASTIC) rod holder, with circles.

Run the circle off a dropper loop/line, 8 oz sinker on the bottom - even in very calm water. The big sinker sets the hook when the fish hits coming in towards the beach.

Make sure the hook is razor sharp

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962