PENN Fishing

New PENN Debut - Spinfisher VI

78 posts in this topic

On 6/22/2018 at 4:24 PM, bobtheflounder said:

You might not want to do that just yet ;).

Also @PENN Fishing have you ever considered adding a contact seal in place of the labyrinth seal for the bailess models since the people that use bailess are generally used to/dont mind the tightness associated with a surf reel?

Contact seals wear out....hydrophobic/labyrinth doesn't unless someone gets in there and messes with the coating.

Question for you Bobby - why would you want a "tight" reel if you could get a "free" reel that accomplishes the same thing?

wow, sounds like a helluva reel at that price. good on ya

51 mins ago, PENN Fishing said:

Let's not even start going down this road....the new SSVI is IPX5 and can be 3rd party verified.

End of story. Please.

That works for me haha, that was just a curiosity, I currently heavily use a ssv3500 on my kayak and have never had an issue with the sealing to begin with

59 mins ago, PENN Fishing said:

Bob - IP rating is marketing? No Sir....it's a rating used in electronics (marine electronics especially) and is 3rd party verifiable. Do we use it in marketing copy, yes. But you and I both know those are two different things. 

Ok sorry I should have been more specific, I guess I would call your use of the IP ratings as consumer simplification if that is a term, which is not necessarily a bad thing. So I think your typical consumer would think IPX6 is better than IPX5, which is true and works. But I think the problem is if you want to equate a specific rating to a specific level of waterproofing, which is not a problem for the majority of your consumers, just reel nuts like me. I think when you waterproof a reel you have to seal it (and test it) against different conditions than what you can specify with an IP rating that would be worth using. Of course, you could say X reel is IP66KM/IP68M or something but at that point, you may as well list what the reel can withstand in words. So I guess my point would be that IP ratings are useful but I think a reel manufacturer would be better off with describing what a reel can do in plain english.

51 mins ago, PENN Fishing said:

Contact seals wear out....hydrophobic/labyrinth doesn't unless someone gets in there and messes with the coating.

Question for you Bobby - why would you want a "tight" reel if you could get a "free" reel that accomplishes the same thing?

labyrinth seals, even with a hydrophobic coating, don't provide adequate protection if you want to dunk the reel or if you accidentally reel it underwater (in my case because I am used to doing that with a fly reel). But yes the majority of people would be better off with a labyrinth seal as you say. I was just wondering if the bailess models, which are geared towards people who fish in the surf and probably are used to or don't mind a tighter reel, could be equipped with a contact seal instead of the labyrinth seal for increased protection.

Hopefully, I did not come off as overly argumentative but if it is I wasn't trying to be

2 hours ago, bobtheflounder said:

Ok sorry I should have been more specific, I guess I would call your use of the IP ratings as consumer simplification if that is a term, which is not necessarily a bad thing. So I think your typical consumer would think IPX6 is better than IPX5, which is true and works. But I think the problem is if you want to equate a specific rating to a specific level of waterproofing, which is not a problem for the majority of your consumers, just reel nuts like me. I think when you waterproof a reel you have to seal it (and test it) against different conditions than what you can specify with an IP rating that would be worth using. Of course, you could say X reel is IP66KM/IP68M or something but at that point, you may as well list what the reel can withstand in words. So I guess my point would be that IP ratings are useful but I think a reel manufacturer would be better off with describing what a reel can do in plain english.

The IPX 5 rating, or IPX 6 rating, is about as specific as you can get. Due to the debacle related to the releaee of the SSV, I can see why Penn just wants to stick to listing the IPX ratings of the reels vs describing what the reel can do in "plain English" as we all know that "plain English" is easily misunderstood, misinterpreted, and often purposely taken out of context.

Anyone can research what IPX ratings mean. I feel that Penn's choice to go the route of having the reels independently tested and rated to IPX5 or IPX6 were the most clairvoyant choices Penn could have made.

Maybe it's just me but it seems like some people assume an IPx6 or maybe even a 5 if dunked would need to be serviced. I have seen more then 1 video of very respected fisherman reeling a slammer 3 underwater. 1 by accident and the other on purpose and even had it submerged for 30 .minutes I believe. Taken apart and not a drop of water in either.  I have a slammer 3 and a vanstaal I wouldn't worry about the slammer 3

Getting dunked one bit. I would love to see all reels rated

IPX ratings and the balancing of rods and reels are tied, in my estimate, for Most Overanalyzed Things in tackle.  Aaaaarrggghhhh.

IPX ratings...classic PENN marketing hype.  Apparently they have such little faith in their own evaluations they need to convince consumers by using a loosely enforced commercial rating.  Have to give them credit - they can work up a marketing scheme with the best of them.  

19 mins ago, mumichog said:

IPX ratings...classic PENN marketing hype.  Apparently they have such little faith in their own evaluations they need to convince consumers by using a loosely enforced commercial rating.  Have to give them credit - they can work up a marketing scheme with the best of them.  

youre on a different planet dude stop being so miserable 

Posted (edited)

I have to say I'm very excited for these new reels, love the additional classes as well. I think PENN really listened to what the people wanted and seemed to deliver. 

Edited by captahab416

2 mins ago, captahab416 said:

youre on a different planet dude stop being so miserable 

Call them like I see them...over and over again.

Perhaps you should teleport to my reality!  :)

2 hours ago, mumichog said:

Call them like I see them...over and over again.

Perhaps you should teleport to my reality!  :)

Your reality of JDM Shimanos that you can't get serviced or get parts for? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Would you like metal or plastic? Oh, that's right, plastic.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, captahab416 said:

I have to say I'm very excited for these new reels, love the additional classes as well. I think PENN really listened to what the people wanted and seemed to deliver. 

These new reels do seem nice. I see why Penn was not planning on introducing a live liner version of the Slammer 3, they were bringing new live liners with these reels.

Still, I would love to see a few live liner Slammer's as they do have that massive bottom drag stack to really put the heat on the fish.

It might just be me, but the frame of this new Spin fisher looks like the same frame as the Slammer.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

3 hours ago, BrianBM said:

IPX ratings and the balancing of rods and reels are tied, in my estimate, for Most Overanalyzed Things in tackle.  Aaaaarrggghhhh.

Yeah, why can't people just go fishing?

The only truly water proof reel would have to be one that is encased in a block of solid plastic, it would be water proof, just not fishable.