PENN Fishing

New PENN Debut - Spinfisher VI

78 posts in this topic

Good gosh, sitting here in a waiting room getting new brakes on my car; decided to look over the Penn website to pass the time.  Big sale going on the Slammer III 5500, cost me a only few more bucks than the SSV 5500 I looked at the other night- other sizes also on sale. Ordered one on the spot!  OH

41 mins ago, PENN Fishing said:

SSVI product video is on post 1 and will hopefully answer everyone's questions.

tony

Wow.....brilliant!!!!

Everything looks great about em!

Finally a bait runner that looks like it really brings something new to the game!

And the sizer offerings look great!

One question.....In the exploded view it looks like there was no pinion / main shaft seal...which was the case with the 5....not the end of the world but didn't see it.

I wonder what the MSRP on these things is going to be. If they can keep these in the same ballpark as the SSV models, it looks like a home run.

On 6/19/2018 at 2:46 PM, Belmo said:

I could be wrong, but I don't think that the SSV has an IPX rating. This was one of the issues when it came out. 

The Slammer III, by way of comparison, has an IPX6 rating.

7 hours ago, Old Hunter said:

At a local shop I had a new Spinfisher V 5500 ($119.00) in my hand on Tuesday night, was ready to buy but wanted to research reviews first.  Planned to research water tightness for surf purposes.  Then Wednesday morning I read this news - I have decided to wait until the SS-VI comes out in November/December.  My Conflict 5000 will continue to work fine until then.  Every surf reel I buy moving forward will have IPX5 or IPX6 seals - tired of doing a complete disassembly with each dunking - would love to be able to simply give them a good fresh water bath. OH 

If you read the IP ratings you would see that IPX5 only goes to spraying with a waterjet, not dunking. From the product video, particularly at 3:35, you will see that it still has the same seals as the old Spinfisher/Slammer 3. IPX rating is just marketing, and this is pretty obvious in that the slammer and the new spin fisher have the same seals (to my knowledge, I may be wrong or they may change the seals) but different IPX ratings. Also, the IP rating is missing the X part which is what its rated for solid intrusions like dust sand etc. And then there is the combination of sand and water if you leave your reel in the sand or dunk it in the surf. But I also get why they aren't doing a more protective seal. It would make it too tight for the majority of people who buy this reel, those who judge a reel based on the feel in the shop and how free spinning, "smooth", etc it is. 

3 mins ago, bobtheflounder said:

But I also get why they aren't doing a more protective seal. It would make it too tight for the majority of people who buy this reel, those who judge a reel based on the feel in the shop and how free spinning, "smooth", etc it is. 

I don't think anybody who has even a rudimentary understanding of reel design thinks that either the SSV (V or VI) or Slammer are suitable for full-on underwater stuff, swimming to rocks and all that. For the skishers and their ilk, there are the super-spinners that cost $700+, including the Torque (I won't mention other brands, because this is Penn's soapbox). 

No, for me, the issue is whether the reel can withstand the normal rigors of surf, short of being regularly and/or intentionally submerged, and/or reeling underwater. I'm talking about being splashed, taking the occasional dunk, etc. -- the incidental stuff that "normal" surf guys can run into (this is the case with me). The Slammer III can , and now it looks like the Spinfisher VI will be able to as well. 

And that will be enough for me, I think. It looks good to me.

Posted (edited)

9 mins ago, Belmo said:

I don't think anybody who has even a rudimentary understanding of reel design thinks that either the SSV (V or VI) or Slammer are suitable for full-on underwater stuff, swimming to rocks and all that. For the skishers and their ilk, there are the super-spinners that cost $700+, including the Torque (I won't mention other brands, because this is Penn's soapbox). 

No, for me, the issue is whether the reel can withstand the normal rigors of surf, short of being regularly and/or intentionally submerged, and/or reeling underwater. I'm talking about being splashed, taking the occasional dunk, etc. -- the incidental stuff that "normal" surf guys can run into (this is the case with me). The Slammer III can , and now it looks like the Spinfisher VI will be able to as well. 

I get where you are coming from. But there are many people who think they are dunkable, including me at one point. I guess this is kind of my fault though, I am used to fly fishing but have recently done more spinning. In fly fishing almost every reel is sealed (sealing them is simple and free spinning isn't an issue) so out of habit I always end up leaving my spinning reel in the sand or dunking it by accident if I am fishing on the beach, which has been pretty frustrating because of the necessary teardown. 

Edited by bobtheflounder

26 mins ago, Belmo said:

21 mins ago, bobtheflounder said:

...dunking it by accident if I am fishing on the beach, which has been pretty frustrating because of the necessary teardown. 

You gents have just described exactly what I'm after and why I'm after it.  I think the new Spinfisher VI will accomplish that and I am sure the current Slammer III will as well (the reason I was shopping earlier this week and the reason I jumped all over the half price sale that Penn is running today).  I'm leaving my BG's and Conflicts for boat and pier duty and converting to Slammer III and Spinfisher VI for surf duty.  OH

3 mins ago, Old Hunter said:

(the reason I was shopping earlier this week and the reason I jumped all over the half price sale that Penn is running today).

What is this half-price sale of which you speak? Inquiring minds want to know! :D

It's "National Fishing Day" on Penn's website, lots of rods and reels anywhere from 15% off to half off (Slammer's).  I just happened to log on while sitting in the car repair shop this morning - ordered a Slammer III on my iPhone. OH

Click here and go down to reels, then pick the Slammer picture.  OH

Ps  I was unsure about posting "sale links' but this is Penn's page so I ASSUME it's alright.

http://www.pennfishing.com/home?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=[ADL] [Penn] [Brand] General - (Exact)&utm_term=penn fishing&utm_content=Penn&kwid=76622262650020x1225955518583249x279229184

All I can tell you is this morning they had a SALE box on the Slammer and when you clicked it they offered "Employee Pricing" - I bought one - it's not there now (but I'm checking on my laptop - this morning I was on my phone).  OH

You might have caught them with their pants down! :D

That might have been a mistake -- I don't see it now. But no worries - thanks!

21 mins ago, Old Hunter said:

I'm leaving my BG's and Conflicts for boat and pier duty and converting to Slammer III and Spinfisher VI for surf duty.  OH

You might not want to do that just yet ;).

Also @PENN Fishing have you ever considered adding a contact seal in place of the labyrinth seal for the bailess models since the people that use bailess are generally used to/dont mind the tightness associated with a surf reel?