cashews121

Water Shoes

54 posts in this topic

I had a pair of Shimano shoes,,but the sand and small pebbles always got inside,in between the toes,irritated my feet etc,,..is there a pair that doesn’t allow sand inside?

Posted (edited)

I got a pair of the Cabela’s Flats Boots earlier this year and have liked them so far.  Waded flats and the beach a number of days with no issues.  $40 regularly and go on sale for $30.  I tried a couple sizes and ended up going down a half size from normal shoes to get a pair that didn’t have too much extra room.

They are neoprene with a formed rubber sole and Velcro strap around the top with a zipper up the back, so they can fir well without having to be too difficult to get on/off.

Edited by bucknut71

when used in the surf I have not found any that will not eventually let stuff in.

if you cinch them very tight they will irritate the skin

9 hours ago, drumfish213 said:

What about surf booties? That might work better. 

Surf booties?

19 hours ago, bucknut71 said:

I got a pair of the Cabela’s Flats Boots earlier this year and have liked them so far.  Waded flats and the beach a number of days with no issues.  $40 regularly and go on sale for $30.  I tried a couple sizes and ended up going down a half size from normal shoes to get a pair that didn’t have too much extra room.

They are neoprene with a formed rubber sole and Velcro strap around the top with a zipper up the back, so they can fir well without having to be too difficult to get on/off.

I got a pair from Cabelas, they didn’t last.

I got a pair of Bite wadding / flats shoes and they were pretty good.

16 hours ago, bayyaker54 said:

NRS makes a nice pair

I’m looking at the Simms & NRS ATB’s currently. Leaning towards the NRS ATB.

I’ll let you know.

JD

Posted (edited)

7 mins ago, jjdbike said:

I’m looking at the Simms

Don’t get them, I have the wading booties that look like ninja shoes and they suck at keeping sand out. Once you get sand inside it tears your feet up 

Edited by Duke of the North Shore

I just use a pair of crocks.some time's I'm bare foot.  When the Crocks get sand in them I wriggle  my foot in a wave. that clean's the out good enough.

I haven't found a good pair...neoprene socks hold water and you your feet marinate in the same water and dead skin soup...then stink...

Sandals open or closed let stuff in that no matter what gets in "that" spot that ya gotta stop what you're doing and pull it out.

My final solution is my wading boots with neoprene wading socks that I cut holes in to allow water to circulate.  

works great for rivers....but sand gets in....so there's that  

Got tired of keens disintegrating in year two. Got Chaco water shoes.  Very good. Don't let in sand or rocks...well...a bit if sand but not problematic.  If I'm really in the surf I wear some.2mm wetsuit neo socks with them.

does anyone know of a wading boot that would stop a stingray penetration ?

15 hours ago, cashews121 said:

Surf booties?

Pretty much what others are describing. Booties that surfers would wear. Neoprene with a velcro closure. 

I wear $10 sandals, and cover my feet with lycra socks. I'm usually wet wading though. Although, I do use the same sandals with stocking foot waders at times.

I wear Teva's when I put the pram in getting my feet wet in summer.

On very long walks(summer time) I wear shorts and carry garbage bags with ties that can fit on my belt.

When my legs get cool after sundown I put on a pair of thin cotton socks, then the garbage bags,then another pair of socks followed by sneakers.

The bags sure do look stupid but after sundown my legs are warm from wind and surf splash.

PS  We could hold a beauty contest!