Odd experience

Rate this topic

I took my wife and a friend of mine I usually fish with out fishing a few nights ago and had a real weird experience. There was a man and a women there, who claimed to be a couple, but they were being waaaay too friendly and trying to get too close to us. The woman asked my wife for a hug and kept asking if she could hang out with my wife in the future, and if we wanted to go fishing with them in the future, and they kept pressing us. She had my wife add her to facebook, and the guy took my number down, but my wife later blocked the woman on facebook and was also weirded out by the whole situation. As we were fishing, they were asking to try our rods, and kept asking for permission to do anything, such as smoke a cigarrette, or drink a nip. I think they were drunk, but certainly not slurring words. The guy was asking if we could do double dates since his girlfriend and my wife seemingly got along so well. The whole time they were super friendly and nice, but very assertive and sort of forceful in a nice way. I didnt deny any requests because I was worried they could flip out any second since it was so odd. We were fishing a marina, and they showed up with walmart fresh water rods, using what mustve been not even an 1/8oz jig, and couldnt cast more than 5 ft. Made me wonder if they fished at all or if the whole thing was just a front. The guy was saying his father is a cop and was a marine, but I have a feeling he was lying to make it seem like he was not a bad guy(fathers a cop good chance youre legit though its not gospel). As we were leaving he wanted to confirm he had my number, and he asked my last name, which I gave him a fake one. He blamed it on his OCD which was complete BS Im pretty sure.

Finally I had enough, I like fishing with friends, but we are mostly quiet and enjoy the quietness and solitude of the night, and these people certainly were not my friend and wouldnt leave us alone. I told them we were switching spots, and they asked if they could follow us to the canal since they had never been there. I said it was fine, planning to actually head home. They asked if my wife wanted to ride with them, which I said she would come with us, and as we were packing, they asked if I wanted to put my rods in their car since they had more room, which I declined as well. Finally they followed me to the RR bridge parking lot, which as I know is always populated at night so we wouldnt be alone, and I told them we had to leave to pick up my son, shook the guys hand, said its nice to meet you guys, and left. 

I have no idea what they were up to, but people are not that friendly when you randomly meet them, and dont try to be your friend so forcefully unless they want something. I feel I handled it well by not starting anything, and staying calm and not giving them opportunities to be offended or anything like that and start trouble. Were they just high on some drug? Just drunk? Looking to cause us harm or rob us or something? The best theory I can think of is they were con artists looking for very wealthy people or something because I have checked how much it costs to moor at the marina and its no where near cheap, never mind the boats they have out there. I think its something like 50k a year, but I could be misremembering. It was really really weird; needless to say I dont plan to go back to that marina any time soon. Plenty of places to fish.

1 min ago, ibe333333 said:

I'd be weirded out too.  Not to say that there isn't any friendly people out there, but there are quite a bit of crazies nowadays, but from that story, it seems way too aggressive on their side.

Yea I agree, I am a friendly person myself, more friendly than most, and will talk to just about anyone, but when I see others fishing, or just hanging out, the most Ill do is say hello, ask how the bite is, and then mind my own business, and give people their personal space. I certainly dont invade others privacy by trying to hand out with them, especially not when I randomly meet them for the first time

Other than giving them your phone number you handled it about as well as you could. Next time use 867-5309 as your phone number.  :)

My spider sense would have been tingling like crazy with people being too friendly like that when I'm fishing. Wouldn't surprise me if they were druggies looking to rob you at some point.

Usually when someone's being way too friendly to me it's often a born again Christian or a Jehovah's Witness trying to recruit me. 

Edited by zak-striper

Yeah that's creepy, numbers, Facebook. Then they wanted your wife to ride with them, then switched to your rods and gear. Not normal at all.

Feels like they were grasping at straws, trying anything to take advantage of you any way they could.

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333

8 mins ago, zak-striper said:

Other than giving them your phone number you handled it about as well as you could. Next time use 867-5309 as your phone number.  :)

My spider sense would have been tingling like crazy with people being too friendly like that when I'm fishing. Wouldn't surprise me if they we druggies looking to rob you at some point.

Usually when someone's being way too friendly to me it's often a born again Christian or a Jehovah's Witness trying to recruit me. 

I would've been happier if they were trying to convert me to their religion because then I'd at least know their angle

7 mins ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

was it the bell rd parking lot. i would like to know because i am down there frequently and need to know to be looking out for those crazies.:)

Sounds like he was at a Marina and ended up going to the Bell Rd lot to shake them.

Either way crazies are everywhere, I always watch my back when I fish alone at night.

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333