Purchasing and Fishing with Belly Boats

Rate this topic

bigredgolf

I feel like I don't see much discussion or many photos of people here fishing from inflatable belly boats. They look pretty cool, I've never used one before but does anyone have a recommendation on brand / model? They don't look too expensive. I want to use one for fishing bass lakes where there is too much cover to effectively cast a fly rod from shore. What else do you guys use them for? thanks!

Every day above ground and on the water is a great one

I still use a Caddis belly boat I bought back in the 80's.  Inexpensive and very durable. I have used it in just about every environment, fresh and salt (except fast moving rivers). The truck tire inner tube is the original and has never be punctured or lost air.  I would buy another without hesitation.

Edited by Squish
qrs

Qualunque stronzo può prendere un pesce da una barca

I've messed with them a long time, and like them. My first was a donut, don't buy one of those, really awkward to get in and out of. Couple months ago I bought a Cumberland Green River on sale, from Overstock I think, for about $150. I like it.

They're great non-impact leg exercise too.

They are a lot of fun and you can get surprisingly close to the fish in them. A great way to cool off and fish and get exercise in the summer. I have a generic one I bought off a friend but have used the Outcast Fish Cat owned by another friend and can recommend that. There are a couple of versions of the Fish Cat out there. I like the foam seat as it has you sitting up a bit higher than the inflatable one which is more money.

Edited by JEFFSOD

I used a belly boat for many years since most of the trout fishing n the cape was kettle ponds. I would spend hours upon hours in mine. That was back in the day when there was not a lot of variety and the Caddis was more or less the cadillac of bell boats. It wasn't the easiest to get in and out of but when that is all there is you didn't have much choice.

There are so many different models available now  that you could spend hours just deciding on what you want, I know a friend of mine just bought a rig that allows him to sit higher and it has oars. He is higher in the water so the wind tends to move him alot. Each design will com with tradeoffs. I know when I was younger when I used mine I would get tired at times, I think my legs might not be able to cut it for olong outing now. 

I remember I used to use mine to cross some of the tidal creels to get away from the crowds. I would try to do it on high slack but if the tide was moving out I would have to kick like hell to make the other side, even when I would put in way up from the mouth. I don't think I would make that today.

Belly boat fishing is a great way to go. The biggest hassle to me was always the nature call.

The Tug Is The Drug

P1060161avrs.JPG.4cfec72f29b8d59afe85d0e7a9d85266.JPG

I'm on my third float tube in 30 something years.  My first was the truck tire style.  My second was a horse-shoe shape which I still have and my current (see below) is the v-style.  If I was a finnatic I'd look at one of the more expensive high end ones.  This has good reviews on Amazon for the budget conscious.  It has plenty of storage, you sit fairly high on a rigid foam seat, easy to get in and out of, fits (inflated) in the back of an SUV, has carry straps on the bottom, has the boston valves and tracks much better than the other styles.

floattube.JPG

while you are spending your money...  if you don't already have a suitable pump you may want to pick up one of these.    It has the adapter fittings and gets the job done quickly when it comes to inflatables.    good luck!

pump.JPG

27 mins ago, BrianBM said:

A cautionary note.  I heard a recommendation from an East End of Long Island guide on this ... don't do it on any pond that has a population of snapping turtles.  

Something to consider. 

That's a fair point!

Every day above ground and on the water is a great one

I have fished out of various tubes for over 30 years. Started with a round boat, went to pontoon with metal frame and now use a inflating v style pontoon. All 3 styles have pro's and cons. I think it depends on where your going to use it and how much you want to spend. I use mine for trout fishing in smaller ponds that typically have short carry in's. I have a Northfork Escape, which for me is the best. Not cheap but comfortable to fish out of easy to move around with the oars or fins, lite enough to carry a decent way.

The two I'd recommend are the Outcast Super Fat Cat or the Fish Cat 4 or 4 Deluxe.

I've used a Super Fat Cat for years and it just keeps going. I bought another one because I figured the first one would eventually wear out.

I think the second one has been sitting in the box for about 8 years now.

Fish Cat is part of Outcast, so you'll get great customer service on both should you ever need it.

Check out the warranties as well on all the tubes you are considering.

Both Outcast and Fish Cat come with five year warranties.

After using a round belly boat / float tube and then going to the Super Fat Cat, I'd never go back.

Also think about what type of fins you want to get. Though expensive, I'm a big fan of Force Fins for tube.

A pair of dive booties will also help save wear on your waders. Some folks use their wading boots, but I find them to be heavier then I like.

I save my leg workouts for the gym rather then the lake.

Good luck,

SF