Ants & Varnish?

Rate this topic

ByronPA

Very amateur maker of stuff here, with a question. I built a couple picnic tables, stained them and then varnished with Rust-Oleum Marine Spar Varnish. Put four coats, sanding between coats, of varnish on. They turned out really nice and I think they'll hold up well to our moisture rich environment. 

Problem is, the ants seem to be highly attracted to them. They've been fully dry for about three weeks now and are constantly covered in ants.

I'm in the process of building a pair of Adirondack Chairs and a porch swing style thingy. Will a different kind of varnish be less appealing to the ants?  I should also point out that we have plenty of other, non varnished, outside furniture that the ants have no interest in..

Bryon, spread an ant killer called terro under the top of the table. This stuff will initially attract ants but they take it back to the nest and it will kill the whole nest. It doesn’t take long to act. 

Its a clear thick gel. Put it more closer to the center and away from animals or kids.