Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DAQ

Youth sports memories

181 posts in this topic

My kid had quite a night on the field last night, the kind that he will remember for the rest of his life. That got me thinking about moments in my sports past that I can remember clear as day. My most memorable sports moments are not good ones, I seem to dwell on the bad. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of good memories but the most vivid memories, where I can recall sights, smells, sounds, and emotions seem to be where we/I came up short or something else was off. 

So, what do you got good or bad?

I loved eating sunflower seeds on the bench, and playing right field, at least I got to talk to chicks the whole game...but basketball that was another story.  Ya boy can ball.

Played metro hockey out of Boston area. My team went to a tournament in Ottawa when I was like 11 or 12. One of my best childhood memories. It was a pretty cool place. We were raising hell and our dads were doing the same. I remember our team almost getting kicked out of the very nice hotel for all the shenanigans. Among other things, we kids were tossing loaves of bread, fruit, rolls of toilet paper, etc off our 17th floor balcony. A great time. 

5th grade football championship game. I played tight end. Had a play called touchdown special. Qback lined up behind me, took the pitch from the RB who took the hike, then threw to me and we scored. I spiked the ball and the ref said don’t do that again. We ran the play later and scored again but the play got called back on a penalty. We won the game. I never forget it.

The day my kid threw a no-hitter in a JV game. Still pitches in what he calls "the old man's league". Don't know what that makes me :laugh:

In our early teens, my brother and I attended Ted Williams Baseball Camp for two weeks one summer. I had a foul ball that Ted had shot down the left field line in one of his near last game of his career. My grandfather and I went to a lot of games at Fenway.

I had the idea that I could hopefully see Ted Williams and get his autograph on the ball during the two weeks at camp, so I brought it in my bag every day. In the second week of camp I spotted Ted and some other guy exiting his office, so I ran and grabbed the ball and caught him just before he got into his car. When I asked him for the autograph, he was grumpy and couldn't be bothered and told me to get out of the way because he had better things to do. The guy with him, must have been his manager or something, whispered in Ted's ear. He grabbed the ball reluctantly and signed it mumbling something about it being a pain in the ass. I was so pissed off at that point when he turned and walked towards his car, it was all I could do to restrain myself from throwing the ball and hitting him in the back of the head.

Anyways, 50 or so years later, I still have my memento of one of baseball's greatest with the worst attitude. :laugh:

IMG_2653.JPG

20 mins ago, Joe said:

The day my kid threw a no-hitter in a JV game. Still pitches in what he calls "the old man's league". Don't know what that makes me :laugh:

Pops

Lots of baseball memories from LL to HS. 

I was the smallest kid on the team my first year of LL and i was terrible. I could run and throw but couldn't catch or hit. Had a lot of walks because of my size so that was good and coach would let me steal. One of the best from that year was a night game and we were down 8-7 with 2 outs in the bottom of the 6th inning. I got on base and ended up stealing 2nd and next guy got a single which put me to 3rd base. Pitcher was getting shaken up and started throwing wild. I got a good lead and he throws a past ball and all i remember was hearing the coach saying Go Go Go!!! So i went running towards home and watched the catcher grab the ball and lob it to the pitcher who was coming in to cover, and i hit the dirt sliding. It was a dry hot night and the slide kicked up a mushroom cloud of dust that covered all 3 of us and the umpire. It felt like forever waiting for the dust to clear and hear the call and when it gave way my foot was on the middle of the plate and the pitchers glove was on my toe, the ump yells Safe! He's Safe! I started jumping up and down as soon as i got up and the rest of the team was going nuts because i tied the game. When that happened the guy behind me got on 3rd and scored on the next past ball and won the game. Miss those days.  

My grandfather caught a state record LMB in ‘68 or ‘69, so he was invited to fish with Ted Williams one day. My grandfather said he was a grumpy assh*le. 

9 mins ago, bospa357 said:

In our early teens, my brother and I attended Ted Williams Baseball Camp for two weeks one summer. I had a foul ball that Ted had shot down the left field line in one of his near last game of his career. My grandfather and I went to a lot of games at Fenway.

I had the idea that I could hopefully see Ted Williams and get his autograph on the ball during the two weeks at camp, so I brought it in my bag every day. In the second week of camp I spotted Ted and some other guy exiting his office, so I ran and grabbed the ball and caught him just before he got into his car. When I asked him for the autograph, he was grumpy and couldn't be bothered and told me to get out of the way because he had better things to do. The guy with him, must have been his manager or something, whispered in Ted's ear. He grabbed the ball reluctantly and signed it mumbling something about it being a pain in the ass. I was so pissed off at that point when he turned and walked towards his car, it was all I could do to restrain myself from throwing the ball and hitting him in the back of the head.

Anyways, 50 or so years later, I still have my memento of one of baseball's greatest with the worst attitude. :laugh:

IMG_2653.JPG

it's not too late for a chance to smack him upside the head....

11 mins ago, Finster said:

it's not too late for a chance to smack him upside the head....

:clap: :laugh: :laugh: Will the cryogenic storage cause it to shatter? :laugh:

Cool story, bob.  Interestingly, a friend of mine in NY who grew up in a Yankees household became a  lifelong Red Sox fan the day some Yankee player was having a bad day and didn't give an autograph.  Some Sox guy saw it and came over and was nice to him.  Boom, he's been a douche ever since :D

It would be an interesting study to see what types of personalities focus on the positives and remember good things, and then the normal people who focus on the failures.

I still remember vividly, striking out looking with a guy on second in some little league playoff.  But we looked good.

5b23bc8819573_st.francis.jpg.98ca291da17ed51744327c4a041bd0eb.jpg

Sell it Bob. Based on the looks of it you probably can get $100. Nice sigs go 400+ so I think a hundo would buy you and the wife a nice dinner.

1st year of Sr. League baseball i went back to being the smallest kid on the team again, and man did i get ****ed with because of it. Growth spurt didn't start kicking in until next season and now i was playing on a full sized field. My team was comparable to the Bad News Bears with a bunch of comedian players but good at baseball. We ended up making the playoffs and got into the championship game which was a best of 3 series. We lost the 1st game as the visiting team and 2nd game we were home team. I started on the bench but got put into RF like the 4th inning and our pitcher started getting lit up. We were up by 4 when 2 runs scored and then a fly ball came my way. Not really sure what happened by i completely misjudged it, ran back to far and tried running in on it but missed. 2 more runs scored and we are now tied. Get out of the inning and walking into the dugout the catcher looks at me and says WTF happened out there? I told him i just read it wrong and it was my fault. This kid was a total cocky Dbag in school and i knew him from a year on his basketball team and we didn't get along. I know the team is pissed at me and it's my turn to bat. Bases were loaded and i'm in on deck circle, the catcher comes over to me and instead of being a dick he tells me "don't think about that play, we need you at the plate". Kind of helped out, and after getting into a full count i drove a shot into the gap between R and C and got a bases clearing double. Total redemption. We ended up winning the game and picked up the trophy after the next one.