john1234

Flying with fishing hooks

13 posts in this topic

Just a guess but I'm gonna say hooks are probably a no go. To avoid a potential problem I'd check them or just don't bring any and buy what you need when you get to where you're going. You could also probably call the airline or the airport and ask.

I went to key west a couple years ago and flew back with hooks in my carry on. I passed through key west airport and Miami airport without issue.  

However, they were fairly small hooks. The largest being a size 1. But I did have a lot of them. Probably a total of 20 including a few rigs that were made up. All in plastic baggies.  I didnt even tell them about it.  Just sent it through the scanner.  They never said a word.   I had a few weights in there as well. Just a few 2 and 3 ounce pyramids if I recall.  

But I would definitely look and see if any of the rules have changed. Or maybe I just got lucky.  

Posted (edited)

My recent trip to Maui put my lures and hooks with some beer I checked. $25 for under 50# for Hawaiian airlines. I live in California so I'm naturally paranoid of anything i might have that looks scary 

Edited by Norcalbeachbum

1 hour ago, cheech said:

Check the bag, or for carry on remove the hooks and get new ones at the destination.

Good advice. I've always put fishing tackle including lures/hooks in check in bag and had zero problems.

I’ve gone to Florida and Puerto with hooks and bucktails that passed in my carryon. It’s basically a crapshoot and you’re at the discretion of a TSA agent. Much easier to just mail a flat rate box of gear down. 

15 mins ago, HighEndHooker said:

I’ve always put my tackle in checked bags to be safe, and never had a problem. The only thing I carry on is my reels

Even so that can be a problem in some countries. Not in US. In Mexico you can’t carry on spools  with lines. You will need to remove the lines or pack the spool in your check-in. The size  of the hooks bar the difference between allow to disallow.

Edited by levari

38 mins ago, levari said:

Even so that can be a problem in some countries. Not in US. In Mexico you can’t carry on spools  with lines. You will need to remove the lines or pack the spool in your check-in. The size  of the hooks bar the difference between allow to disallow.

Thanks great point. Is this something that varies from country to country or airline to airline? All my flying with tackle experience comes from flying to Florida once or twice every year, but I’m planning my first trip to Abaco next year

Edited by HighEndHooker

9 mins ago, HighEndHooker said:

Thanks great point. Is this something that varies from country to country or airline to airline? All my flying with tackle experience comes from flying to Florida once or twice every year, but I’m planning my first trip to Abaco next year

It’s not the airline who checks the bag, it’s the TSA and it varies from country to country. For example, spoil with line, pliers are allowed to carry on on flights in US while these items are not allowed in Mexico. I had problems with fishing lures in Cabo( hooks  removed) but no issues carry on in USA.

Edited by levari