FlackaWalkaFlame

Anybody had any luck with mackerel chunks?

24 posts in this topic

I've been doing just ok on plugs and decent on sandworms but have had very little action on frozen mackerel. My past 2 outings I've tried mac chunks with no success. 

Just curious what everyone else's experiences have been chunking so far? Maybe its just early and I should stick to sandworms and swimbaits for now? Comments appriciated

59 mins ago, Nbourque said:

Frozen works just fine

X2

Fresh is better if you can get it, but I’ve caught many stripers on frozen mackerel, pogies, and herring.  It’s tough to buy fresh mackerel around here, and unless you have a lot of time on your hands to catch fresh yourself on a regular basis, I think you are better off taking a day to catch a bunch of mackerel or herring, and then brine and freeze enough for a year’s supply. 

Do a search on this forum for brining bait, there’s a good thread from a couple of years ago that will give you a much higher quality frozen bait than freezing unbrined fish. 

I’ve been whipping up a storm with our striped friends when I’ve fished this year. And yes !!! to frozen Mack’s. Fresh is better but with both the secret is to buy a gallon of apple cider and some spices. Let the bait soak in this for a few minutes and then you are good to go. Make sure to use circle hooks !!!

I prefer mackerel but haven't been able to get any until yesterday.   In order to not to have to travel through traffic or a long distance to baitshops, I buy a few weeks to a month's worth at a time, so freezing is necessary.   I've found if you freeze fresh mackerel in zip lock freezer bags, they're almost as good as fresh for up to a month.  

I take them out of the freezer the day before I intend to use them, let them partially defrost, chunk them up to the desired size and put them in the refrigerator overnight.   By the time I'm ready to head out in the early AM, they're marinating in blood and ready  to use.  

Today was my first day using mackerel this season, and my most productive.   I don't believe this was coincidence.   I was doing okay with clams, but mackerel rules in my opinion.  

When I get home home bait fishing I vacuum pack them and throw them in the freezer, I still have a bunch of frozen Mack's from last year.  STILL GOOD!!!

Ok, so sounds like I should keep at it and catch some fish on chunks. 

Do you guys have a preference of how "frozen" you chunks are? A frozen solid chunk stays on the hook better but probably doesn't give out as much scent. On the other hand a thawed chunk produces more scent but can be torn off the hook easier.

Whats your preference?

16 mins ago, FlackaWalkaFlame said:

Do you guys have a preference of how "frozen" you chunks are? A frozen solid chunk stays on the hook better but probably doesn't give out as much scent. On the other hand a thawed chunk produces more scent but can be torn off the hook easier.

Whats your preference?

I like em partially frozen. 

58 mins ago, FlackaWalkaFlame said:

Whats your preference?

I cut them semi-frozen but by the AM they're totally thawed out marinating in their own blood.   I then hook them skin to skin and have had very few problems with them falling off, unless they're hit hard by a fish.