wtfooptimax200

TFO GIS SCS 1065-2 vs Star Paraflex PFS1225S106

14 posts in this topic

I’m trying to make a decision on a new rod and I’m strongly considering one of these.  They seem like they’d handle a wide range of applications.  Is there anything that should push me one way or the other on either of them.  Ideal this rod will be used in the canal and also for plugs/bucktails on the beach.  I was originally thinking of the 10 ft paraflex but was concerned that it’s 1.5-5 oz rating may be a tad light for the canal.  Maybe I’m splitting hairs.  Now I know how my wife feels when she goes shoe shopping.

I have the 10'6" TFO rod.  Very light rod for its size.  Its a fast action rod and thats the way i like it. 

Ive used the rod at the CCC.  Worked perfectly fine for me and was able to handle the bass fine.

I never held that model Star rod.  The warranty on the TFO rods are very good.

In the end, you might just have to find a store that stocks both and feel them both out.

TFO is much faster. Great for jigging, but I find it too fast for anything else. Also pretty fragile based on the number of broken ones at the canal.

Star is mod/fast. Great for jigging but also throws SPs/Poppers better. It is not too light for the canal. I threw 5oz (that's 5oz head) with it a lot last year, and it never had an issue. Also put it through a few hundred gator blues and dead lifted them onto a jetty in the spring. No issues. My only regret was selling it.

Posted (edited)

I have the blue TFO 2-6oz not the current model 2-8oz. It is 10 3/4oz on my scale while TFO said it is 9oz they lied to us.. The rod is great for jigging and it casts very well but one thing i do not like is it is way too fast no good for plugs.. It is all about my personal experience, everyone is not the same. I bought the VPR for the plugs and i love it.

The paraflex is a lot heavier than the TFO.. I do not have the paraflex but i compared them when i was in the tackle store. The VPR is about the same weight as the TFO

Edited by QHNM

Posted (edited)

I too have the tfo gis surf 1065 and I love it. The website says 2-8 for some reason, but the rod says 2-6. I'd more call it at 1-5. Can throw sp's and stuff in the 1oz range as well as bigger pencils and metal lips. Faster rod with a lot of backbone to turn big fish, yet it's super lightweight. It's the second lightest rod in my arsenal coming in a tad heavier than my blackhole Suzuki 10, which is stupid light.

Edited by chitala383

I believe TFO has 2 versions of this rod but they have the same model.. The early version is 2-6oz and the current version is 2-8oz. the color of the current one is a bit darker,  the text on the rod is a bit different too and it clearly says 2-8oz. The info on TFO website is correct it referred to the current edition/version or whatever it is... I was in Redtop last 2 weeks i saw it.

TFO has GREAT warranty / broken rod support. They backed me up a 100% on a UPS broken rod.

Folks here claim Star Rods is quite fair as well.

On 6/15/2018 at 0:44 AM, QHNM said:

I believe TFO has 2 versions of this rod but they have the same model.. The early version is 2-6oz and the current version is 2-8oz. the color of the current one is a bit darker,  the text on the rod is a bit different too and it clearly says 2-8oz. The info on TFO website is correct it referred to the current edition/version or whatever it is... I was in Redtop last 2 weeks i saw it.

The only change in the blank was color, the ratings may have changed but that was only to more reflect an actual rating instead of estimated. The other changes were of hardware, no name guides to Fuji (exact same layout) & split tail to fully covered in the aft.

Having said that, the Star Paraflex 10' is your best bet for a canal all arounder. Does more, cost less, better warranty. Just be careful with the single foot guides after the collector guide (which is dual foot lowrider).

13 mins ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

The only change in the blank was color, the ratings may have changed but that was only to more reflect an actual rating instead of estimated. The other changes were of hardware, no name guides to Fuji (exact same layout) & split tail to fully covered in the aft.

Having said that, the Star Paraflex 10' is your best bet for a canal all arounder. Does more, cost less, better warranty. Just be careful with the single foot guides after the collector guide (which is dual foot lowrider).

By Paraflex 10’ I assume that you’re talking about the 1.5-5oz model?  That rod does really seem to be in a sweet spot as far as wide range of applications.  xjclint also speaks very highly of it.

Big fan of Paraflex rods here.  Excellent for plugging.  I've used both their 1-5 oz and their 2-6 oz.  Either one would be excellent for big fish in big current.

13 mins ago, wtfooptimax200 said:

By Paraflex 10’ I assume that you’re talking about the 1.5-5oz model?  That rod does really seem to be in a sweet spot as far as wide range of applications.  xjclint also speaks very highly of it.

Actually I'm the thief that absconded xjclint's 10' paraflex (yes 1.5-5oz) away from him for short money last year. I was singing the rod's praises to a friend of mine who had a Star Ariel that kept having guide failures, he was able to finagle it away from me when I begged him to watch my cats for a week. I too was sad to see it go but always happy to see my friend enjoying it so much next to me.

The 10' adds more leverage, doesn't give away distance, and gets along better with some of the canal rip rap behind you better than the 10.5 or 11'. I am considering buying another VPR to upgrade a little while still enjoying all the same positives the Paraflex offers. 

3 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

How much faster in action is the VPR vs Paraflex?

IDK, I only handled the VPR in M&D's shop. Not enough reference to fully grasp the difference really. I like the grips better and Sic guides are pretty snazzy too, action felt the same to me, but truthfully it's hard to fully tell by just shaking it in a store.