Night fishing (the) beach?

Rate this topic

I recently moved to southern Maine, and I have yet to catch a striper locally. Granted, I havent had a lot of time and its been bad weather when I have had time. I am curious if anyone fishes at night around here in the surf? I recently bought a surf rod set up (11ft rod and baitrunner is in the mail) for the first time, however, when I tried casting it with a 3oz weight and piece of fresh mackeral with a 5000 reel, it didn't seem to go as far as I would expect, and got snagged in the surf(what the hell could i have snagged?). The whole experience felt odd and didn't seem like I was doing something right. I'd love to hear some advice, or even better, tag along with someone who has experience in the area.

Thanks,

Mike 

Edited by Msteffen
Mike - please be much more general in the locations you discuss - naming a specific beach is overly specific - just the general area please - you can edit this post to add the general area, I’m unfamiliar with it so I was extremely general ;-)

If u use braided line you can cast longer distances. The thinner the line the longer u can cast too. You tube pendulum cast or off the ground cast. Once u get used to it and if u match the weight u are casting to the rod and reel. U will be able to cast a country mile. With that said it isn’t always necessary to cast it very far. When u cast aim for structure watch where the waves break and how they break it can tell u the structure under the water. Also aim for rips between waves. If u get snagged move over one way or the other. A few feet could mean all the difference. Good luck the monsters lurk at night be patient!

4 hours ago, Msteffen said:

I'm trying to figure out how to PM you, but I am not sure how. May need advice with that as well.

Mike 

Mike - please see the guidelines at the top of the page - they explain why you can’t PM yet as well as why your first few posts are mod queued :)

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

Be patient it only takes a few posts.  Night fishing the beaches and jettys can be very productive and also very private as most folks don't play the game after dark.  You're not far off with tactics and you don't need to be very far out.  In my boat I try and get just behind the breakers, and real close to jettys as long as no shore guys are there.

1 hour ago, mainefinn05 said:

Be patient it only takes a few posts.  Night fishing the beaches and jettys can be very productive and also very private as most folks don't play the game after dark.  You're not far off with tactics and you don't need to be very far out.  In my boat I try and get just behind the breakers, and real close to jettys as long as no shore guys are there.

Thumbs up too you man not many boaters are that respectful of the shore guys. Wish more boaters thought like this

4 hours ago, Msteffen said:

So what kind of depth am I looking for/fishing in? Seems like it would be weirdly shallow. 

Mike 

Get yourself a casco bay marine chart

lots of local and park beaches with great frontage on inshore structure 

several areas that willl look obvious if you think access, bathymetry  and low tide geography 

low tide is your friend in Maine to first scout as a beach or boat fisherman 

once you find your spots 

And fish them day and night 

figure out the wash in and out, in different surf conditions, youl’ll get to know where and when based on the tide/conditions 

structure and flow creates a better environment with more nutrients in general, easiest place to sustain life 

good on ya and get out there 

cheers 

Jim 

[/sIGPIC]"Never let the truth spoil a good story"

5 hours ago, Msteffen said:

So what kind of depth am I looking for/fishing in? Seems like it would be weirdly shallow. 

Mike 

Shallow (but not too shallow water) is not necessarily a bad thing if it's got structure and some moving water. Espec at night. You just have to adjust with the appropriate shallow running lures.

Pfantum Pfishah

1 hour ago, Msteffen said:

It seems like most of the beach parking lots close around 9pm. Where do people usually park? Just outside of the gates ok?

Mike 

I have run into this same problem. It almost seems like they dont want you at any of the beaches in Scarborough  during the night or at least they don’t want you to park. I try to look for on street parking if its availabe. Which really limits where I can fish. Don’t really want to take the chance coming back to my car not being there.

On 6/15/2018 at 1:13 PM, Theflyguy said:

Thumbs up too you man not many boaters are that respectful of the shore guys. Wish more boaters thought like this

I try, plenty of space where I fish skinny out of the Saco.  Always fly guys over there and we're all essentially fishing the same 30 acre structure so I can absolutely afford to give them room. I'm in a boat for crying out loud :)

16 mins ago, mainefinn05 said:

I try, plenty of space where I fish skinny out of the Saco.  Always fly guys over there and we're all essentially fishing the same 30 acre structure so I can absolutely afford to give them room. I'm in a boat for crying out loud :)

Hmm I have been out there fairly frequently I wonder if I have seen you out there I assume I know where your talking. I use a two hand flyrod normally have a hoody or face mask on (for ear protection lol) is you picture the boat your on? Generally have someone with you? Had a boat similar to that one out there last few times I been out