jjdbike

Minus-tides, grey-light & halibut?

6 posts in this topic

Good Morning folks,

I’m a mid-Atlantic surf fisher visiting family & grand children & trying to figure out how to catch in the SD county surf, when I can sneak out for a couple hours, Especially halibut, which are #1 on my bucket list. #2 are croakers (YF & BS). 

I  do relatively well w/ our Atlantic Summer Flounder which we call fluke. Your flat fish seem to be very different than ours, i.e more elusive, moody & at time aggressive. I’ve so far struck out.

I’ve read that minus tides immediately after a grunion run can be productive times. 

I appreciate that advice & plan on putting it to the test this coming weekend.

My question is why. In trying to figure these big bronze beautys out, I’m wondering why these extreme low tides are a hot time. I can understand why a spawning run of baitfish would bring a predictor into the surf. I’m assuming low light would make them more confident to feed in skinny water, which might hold some left over grunion. But why the extreme low tide? Is it simply because that’s when the grunion are there (i.e moon phase)? Is it because it allows the shore bound angler to wade out to cuts and troughs that wouldn’t otherwise be accessible? Does it limit and therefore concentrate productive ambush zones? Is there something else?

I know we can only guess at reasoning behind a fish’s behavior. But are some of you knowledgeable experienced surf guys willing to share your understanding of this, or take an educated guess please?

Thanks in advance for reading & hopefully responding.

Best Regards & Tight Lines.

JD

P.S, Please never take for granted how blessed you are to have so much access to to such a beautiful coast line & weather & thank you for sharing it & your knowledge w/ a mid/Atlantic surffishing brother :  )

Hey JD,

I grew up in So CA...San Diego. My Pops took me surf fishing from an early age. We would hit the beach during the grunion runs, which were always on the maximum high tide corresponding with a full or new moon. Grunion spawn on the beach on the max high tide, deposit eggs in the sand, then 10-12 days later, the eggs hatch and get carried out on the following max hi. The only reason grunion are in the surf and up on the beach is to spawn. This doesn't occur on a minus tide.

We would collect some grunion and use as live bait to catch halibut, late at night into early morning. Those were great memories for me because it was just me and my Dad fishing together, and I got to stay up all night !!! After fishing we'd almost always stop on the way home and have tacos for breakfast. Now that I've gone completely off topic..... LOL

Not sure why minus tide would be best for hali, but if you do go, report back. Would be good to hear how you did.

-JC

5 hours ago, BirdDog said:

Hey JD,

I grew up in So CA...San Diego. My Pops took me surf fishing from an early age. We would hit the beach during the grunion runs, which were always on the maximum high tide corresponding with a full or new moon. Grunion spawn on the beach on the max high tide, deposit eggs in the sand, then 10-12 days later, the eggs hatch and get carried out on the following max hi. The only reason grunion are in the surf and up on the beach is to spawn. This doesn't occur on a minus tide.

We would collect some grunion and use as live bait to catch halibut, late at night into early morning. Those were great memories for me because it was just me and my Dad fishing together, and I got to stay up all night !!! After fishing we'd almost always stop on the way home and have tacos for breakfast. Now that I've gone completely off topic..... LOL

Not sure why minus tide would be best for hali, but if you do go, report back. Would be good to hear how you did.

-JC

Tacos for breakfast. Hmmmmmm. Regular or rolled?

On 6/14/2018 at 9:18 PM, Alferd Packer said:

Tacos for breakfast. Hmmmmmm. Regular or rolled?

What the heck is a rolled taco? You mean taquito...rolled, fried?

Rolled and fried. There was a place by Bird Rock, just south of Wind & Sea, that had epic rolled tacos. Used to get a dozen or two after a night of carousing. 

JD,

I know this is quite a bit late from your post, but hopefully you may gain some insight for your next trip to left coast.  Grunion spawn at night, and do so only on the highest night tides of the month. Thus the morning following predicted grunion runs are always the extreme low tides of the month.  That's just the nature of the tides. The reason for fishing to be sometimes better are pretty simple,  Predators follow and feed on the grunion before, during and after the spawn while they are concentrated in the surf zone.  The following morning, there are sometimes holdover fish concentrated near shore.  This can be especially true for Halibut, as they are more likely to stay put or remain in the nearest hole, pocket or cover near the beach.  If you can find an area that has some sort of structure (holes, trenches etc) that will still be under water during the low tide, these can be very productive.  As the tide drops, it will have the tendency to push fish out from the shore to the first pockets of cover. Grey light is typically a good time to hit these spots before the incoming tide and rising sun encourages the halibut to disperse.

I can't give you any specific advise on the SD area though.