WoodyCT

Avet Conundrum - Freespool OR Tight drag

29 posts in this topic

Having trouble coming to grips with the choice between fast freespool or high drag tension when fishing with my SX and MXL.

I like a tight drag for solid hooksets when bottom fishing for fluke, seabass, and scup using lighter tackle in deeper water. They can't break my line or leader so why not nail the drag down...I can always back the lever off if I have to.

However, with a tight drag pre-set freespool is anything but free, and getting a 3-4oz. fluke jig to the bottom quickly in 60' of water means pulling line off the spool a foot at a time until the jig reaches bottom. Not optimal.

Thinking a star drag reel or spinning  set up are better options.

Would like to hear your thoughts on this.

This works: In free spool, you can let the fish mouth the bait until you are ready to set the hook. By applying pressure to the spool with the thumb, you can effectively lock the reel (even in free spool) for hook setting/pulling out of wrecks, etc. Then you can play the fish, adjusting drag with the lever as needed. 

That said, I don’t enjoy doing this. I use a lexa HSL-300 for the same types of fishing. It’s just easier and a better fishing experience IMO. 

It sounds like the sx raptor is what you need, although I have never in my 8 years of using an sx needed to lock the drag down that tight to set a hook, at that point where you dont get freespool, you are putting too much stress on the reel and bearings will fail eventually

The OP is, I suspect, fishing an early Avet. The problem described is reduced, though perhaps not completely removed, in the G2 and Raptor lines of reels. Those are a good deal pricier. 

If I'm right, then I think the problem is inherent in those reels. 

I'm not sold on lever drags, generally, outside billfish and tuna. Modern star drags and spinning reels are easier to live with, for general purpose fishing. 

8For bottom fishing, you will be best served with a star drag.

The Lexa was mentioned, it is a solid choice. I use my Komodo 471's for bottom fishing anytime I am in the salt.

Having a big low profile baitcaster with a star drag has a number of inherent advantages; thumb bar for quickly dropping you bait back into the strike zone after a missed hit, excellent free spool at all times regardless of drag setting, depending on the model you get about 40in per crank which pays off with increased fish and rebaiting turn over especially if fishing deep (I would stick with the Lexa 400HD or the Komodo 471SS for high speed models as they have stainless steel drive trains and the largest main gears on the market for low pro reels which equates to some damn tough reels that you can crank the heck out of at those high speeds without issue), and very high versitility (go from bottom fishing to lure casting without missing a beat).

Don't get me wrong, I love my Avets, but I feel a good large low profile star drag is a more effective, versatile, and efficient as a fishing tool.

Still, if the current Avet isn't doing what you need, get a new G2. The SX G2 I have has a full free spool even with max drag set to 17lbs.

I'll check out the Lexa guys... thx for the tip.

Checked out the Trinidad, Saltiga, and Saltist star drags last night. The first 2 are pricey and the third blah looking.

Will take a look at the G2 Avets too.

I have the Lexa 300 and 400 -  dont like the handle on them or the level wind. Cranking haddock up from 150-200 feet on the lexa sucks.  I much prefer the sx raptor or even the regular SX. Caught alot of big fish on the original sx 5:1 using my thumb when necessary rather than changing the pinion bearings fro crushing them with heavy drag. 

I have the maxel hybrid 25. Anti reverse failed and tension knob (plastic) cracked. Its in the mail for service. 

Dont mention Accurates Ive had more issues with them than any reels Ive owned. 

Edited by blacklabnh

The Avet's aren't ideal for fluke/seabass, I prefer a star too, but I do use Avets.

Don't preset your drag knob beyond where it affects the fall in frespool which depends on your weight.

After you drop and push your lever to full drag, you have plenty of drag to set the hook and fight fluke or seabass. 

In fact when jigging my sx or mxl, I'm probably only 3/4 on the lever and that's plenty.  

21 hours ago, blacklabnh said:

I have the Lexa 300 and 400 -  dont like the handle on them or the level wind. Cranking haddock up from 150-200 feet on the lexa sucks.  I much prefer the sx raptor or even the regular SX. Caught alot of big fish on the original sx 5:1 using my thumb when necessary rather than changing the pinion bearings fro crushing them with heavy drag. 

I have the maxel hybrid 25. Anti reverse failed and tension knob (plastic) cracked. Its in the mail for service. 

Dont mention Accurates Ive had more issues with them than any reels Ive owned. 

Curious your issues with Accurate. First negative review I've seen. I love my fury super smooth single drag the narrow spool makes thumbing line simple and a lot of drag output. 

Edited by nfd27

7 hours ago, WoodyCT said:

I'll check out the Lexa guys... thx for the tip.

Checked out the Trinidad, Saltiga, and Saltist star drags last night. The first 2 are pricey and the third blah looking.

Will take a look at the G2 Avets too.

Check out the Komodo too.

The G2 Avets are excellent if yoy want to stick with Avet.

Thanks to all for the input and advice... greatly appreciated.  I'll give that a try BillyBob.

I got my hands on the new Lexas as well as a G2 Avet after work today. Lexas are nice but that icky little handle and the need to send the reel out for service due to its complexity are deal breakers.

If the G2 Avet has true freespool at high drag tension then I will opt for the reel I can service myself. It's made in Merica to boot.  I may hold off until the new Saltist star drags land at Watch Hill Outfitters just so I can fondle them side by side.

3 hours ago, WoodyCT said:

Thanks to all for the input and advice... greatly appreciated.  I'll give that a try BillyBob.

I got my hands on the new Lexas as well as a G2 Avet after work today. Lexas are nice but that icky little handle and the need to send the reel out for service due to its complexity are deal breakers.

If the G2 Avet has true freespool at high drag tension then I will opt for the reel I can service myself. It's made in Merica to boot.  I may hold off until the new Saltist star drags land at Watch Hill Outfitters just so I can fondle them side by side.

You will enjoy using the G2.