Welcome to all ofNJ's new felons

Rate this topic

JBreese1

22 mins ago, makorider said:

Is there any kind of grace period before this kicks in?  Did I hear/read 180 days somewhere?  Or is it immediate?

IE, can I go to the range right now?

Correct. 6 months to comply. You're good to go.  Not sure of exact date but I think you're good til September. It may be October but don't qoute me. 

On 6/14/2018 at 1:51 PM, Sudsy said:

"Justifiable need"

The legislation, A-2758, codifies regulations that define the "justifiable need" to carry a handgun.

I don't see how this one will stand up in the supreme court?

As far as I can tell these laws were  already in effect.  Nj didn't allow concealed carry, "high capacity" magazines, and history of mental illness disqualifies ownership. Background check has never been instant in Nj. Other than armor piercing, which only round I know people used were green tip 5.56. And that's only because they are cheap to get. Am i missing something? Or is this just political smoke?

On 6/28/2018 at 9:51 PM, Theseeker66 said:

As far as I can tell these laws were  already in effect.  Nj didn't allow concealed carry, "high capacity" magazines, and history of mental illness disqualifies ownership. Background check has never been instant in Nj. Other than armor piercing, which only round I know people used were green tip 5.56. And that's only because they are cheap to get. Am i missing something? Or is this just political smoke?

Well, thats the problem. The fact that some states grandfathered all mags prior to downsizing mag caps makes this law not valid in the state of NJ. They cant just make something you legally own, and possess, illegal without compensation and or grandfathering. ALSO, the number of gun owners has gone up substantially in NJ since the original ban of 30rd standard mags so there is more of a voice now then before considering that Modern Sporting Rifles are now one of the most common rifles in the United States.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/06/30/federal-judge-blocks-new-california-high-capacity-magazine-ban-but-fight-looms.html

These "standard" mags that were LEGAL, then made ILLEGAL, requires compensation and or allowing of the property to be considered legal if they were just that pre-ban and this is why there are few supreme court injunctions occurring in a few states under grandfather clause.

This is under the Grandfather Clause;

Which even applied to:

the original "assault weapon" ban and automatic weapons as long as registered. 

cwm8.gif

5 mins ago, christopherr said:

Well, thats the problem. The fact that some states grandfathered all mags prior to downsizing mag caps makes this law not valid in the state of NJ. They cant just make something you legally own, and possess, illegal without compensation and or grandfathering. ALSO, the number of gun owners has gone up substantially in NJ since the original ban of 30rd standard mags so there is more of a voice now then before considering that Modern Sporting Rifles are now one of the most common rifles in the United States.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/06/30/federal-judge-blocks-new-california-high-capacity-magazine-ban-but-fight-looms.html

These "standard" mags that were LEGAL, then made ILLEGAL, requires compensation and or allowing of the property to be considered legal if they were just that pre-ban and this is why there are few supreme court injunctions occurring in a few states under grandfather clause.

This is under the Grandfather Clause;

Which even applied to:

the original "assault weapon" ban and automatic weapons as long as registered. 

Maybe I just haven't examined law close enough.  Or am too new to this game.  Don't get me wrong I don't support many firearm laws.  A legal firearm owner should be able to own anything they want.  But everyone I know who owns 30rd mags already has them blocked.  And of course there has to be things grandfathered.  

I only meant that it seems like the new fearless leader wants to appear tough on guns. While not actually getting into a fight

19 mins ago, Theseeker66 said:

Maybe I just haven't examined law close enough.  Or am too new to this game.  Don't get me wrong I don't support many firearm laws.  A legal firearm owner should be able to own anything they want.  But everyone I know who owns 30rd mags already has them blocked.  And of course there has to be things grandfathered.  

I only meant that it seems like the new fearless leader wants to appear tough on guns. While not actually getting into a fight

Except he will lose the fight at the highest courts because the law is illegal.

I dont support many firearms laws except for maybe *some* NFA stuff.  MOST gun laws are dumb- IN NJ you cant have evil features on a semi auto based on comfort but then you can turn around and do everything illegal under semi automatics to bolt guns- That makes no sense to me.

The "collapsible" stock law is BS too because a collapsing stock still rides over the necessary buffer section of the ar15, which does not make it more concealable, ONLY the folding stock does, which is legal on bolts! :freak:

cwm8.gif

2 mins ago, christopherr said:

xcept he will lose the fight at the highest courts because the law is illegal.

Yessir, appearance of anti evil weapons,  knowing he's full of it.  But fighting the good fight for the liberals and furthering a political career