MuskieJim

9' Budget Rod - Battalion or Star Stellar

17 posts in this topic

Looking for opinions on which of these 3 options you'd pull the trigger on for a plugging and light bait rod - All right around the same price and both have good warranty.  Looking for real opinions on each.  The Stars are the same length and even the same rating, but one has heavier line rating and MH action. 

Star Stellar Surf 

SG901s - 10-25lb, 1-4 oz, M

SG1230S90 - 12-30, 1-4 oz, MH

Penn Battalion

BATSF1220S90 - 12-20, 3/4-3 oz, M

I love the softness of the composite blanks and the actions in the Battalion lineup. While the Star is a fine rod, it is 100 % graphite and quite stiff for me. Depends what you like. Personally, the Penn you are looking at is a very perfect action for an all around 9 footer.

You may also want to look at the Penn Prevail - very similar specifications.  I am using the 8' Prevail (longest two piece I can fit in my car's hatchback area) and except for length with the same specs you listed (PRESF1220S80 - MED power/MOD FAST action).  I've used it for a light surf rod and as a pier rod; it's paired with an older Penn Conflict 5000 spooled with 30 lb. J-braid and a mono leader.  This rig has been outstanding so far for those uses - using either bottom rigs with cut shrimp or mullet and with artificial lures.  Another good budget rod I've been using is the Bass Pro Shop store brand - Offshore Angler "Brawler".  OH

Very happy with my 9ft penn, works a nice pencil. I use it for bluefish only.

I have the 10 ft .75 - 3 oz Battalion.  Great rod for spoons, buck tail and SP Minnows.  I use 30 lb braid on a Spinfisher 4500. It can throw 3/4 oz buck tails, throwing 2 3/8 plugs is the heaviest I throw.  Works great for open beach fishing.  I am very happy with its performance and it has been durable the last 3 years.  It has handled 20 lb fish easily.

I have the 9' Battalion and no complaints from me. Used it for bass and blues in the surf and also for tog on jetties. Think i only paid $95 for it, but that was 4 years ago. 

Posted (edited)

Although a bit stiffer, you might want to also look at the newer Daiwa Emcast "A" rods in medium; 1-4 oz.  They are around $70 in 9' length and very light with decent guide layout (one component that isn't so hot on them is the reel seat - accepts the Daiwa BG series, but might not accept your reel foot depending on the specific reel used).

Edited by Killiefish
details, price

I am a fan of the Stars for bay inlets and jetty fishing. I have a 7’6” and an 8’ both are one piece. The blank of the 8’ is different from the 7’6” and I would guess that it is that same as the medium action 9’ with length removed from the butt. It is stiff like another guy said, I bet it would throw more than the 3ozs it is rated for. It makes an awesome jetty rod and that stiffness helps there. If you do opt for a Star, stick with the M and forget the MH. I think you’ll find that it’s plenty in medium. No experience with the Penns. 

I have a near obsession with my stellar lite. I have the 7’6 medium. If I didn’t have nicer (more expensive) I’d only use the stellar lite. 

I’d go with the Star stellar SG901s. I have an 8ft star stellar for the same application as you and I love it. Its super easy to finesse fish small plugs and handles big fish with ease.  I imagine the 9’ would be just as solid but the MH might be more stiff than what you want. 

Edited by Chemikillz

1 hour ago, crashfromamesbury said:

To drop down a level i have the star aerial,  its softer than stellar surf,  and about 40$ cheaper.   Its a nice little rod. 

I didn't want to mention the Aerial because I felt I wasn't sticking to the direction of the thread but these are ridiculously nice rods for the $. Have not touched my Stellar Lites since. Again, it's the composite blank that pulls me in this direction. They are tough, light and handle a wider range of lures. I think at their low price a lot of guys look right passed them.