MikeBlue

How Low Can You Go?

20 posts in this topic

At the spot I fish most often at the Canal distance matters. At my age I need all the help I can get. I recently purchased a distance reel that will come with 2 spools, braid and mono. The braid spool is very shallow. I normally use 40lb braid but I am considering going down to 20lb for this spool. I got to thinking about this after talking to an old timer with a conventional, he uses 20lb mono with a shock leader. Would it be possible to drop to 10lb braid with a shock leader?

There are plenty of spots along the Canal where the fish bite within 10 yards of the rip rap. There is no need to change tackle just find better spots. Look for pools, rips around sand bars and muscle beds. 

You wouldn’t stand a chance with 10lb braid, man. You’re In for more heartbreak than the distance is worth. 

I regularly use 30 in the canal for topwater and have used 20 in a pinch. I would say if you really want a good SW ratio, consider Maxcuatro in 30lb.

30 is still doable and will get you a little extra distance. For me 40 is just right. 

And remember you don't want to be "johnny loose drag" when a good fish hits at the end of your cast with the way crowds are nowadays...

I would keep the 10lb line for the beaches when targeting schoolies.

30lb at least in the canal. MY outfits are a mixture of 30 and 40. Its amazing the thin diameter and casting distance that's achieved by modern braid with 30, 40 or even 50 lb line.

Posted (edited)

We all have our own methods of finding fish at the Canal, one of mine entails throwing plugs a long way. Jigging, finding rips and holes is another way. Changing a spool or setting up a distance rod is not a big deal, for me anyway. I see plenty of guys riding around with several setups in their bikes. If the guy with the conventional can use 20lb mono I can't see 20lb braid being an issue. I'm wondering how 10lb braid compares in strength to 20lb mono. Maxquatro looks interesting.

Edited by MikeBlue

7 hours ago, MikeBlue said:

At the spot I fish most often at the Canal distance matters. At my age I need all the help I can get. I recently purchased a distance reel that will come with 2 spools, braid and mono. The braid spool is very shallow. I normally use 40lb braid but I am considering going down to 20lb for this spool. I got to thinking about this after talking to an old timer with a conventional, he uses 20lb mono with a shock leader. Would it be possible to drop to 10lb braid with a shock leader?

The 20 ln mono is a lot more forgiving than the equivalent lb test of braid. 

I’d stick with the 40 lb braid 

Maybe try a different brand. Some braids are softer and cast further too. 

2 hours ago, west tide said:

The 20 ln mono is a lot more forgiving than the equivalent lb test of braid. 

I’d stick with the 40 lb braid 

Maybe try a different brand. Some braids are softer and cast further too. 

10 lb braid is similar to 4 lb mono. Good luck casting without the line snapping and fighting a fish in current and structure. Just as I stated to you earlier the fish are in closer than you think.

Posted (edited)

20 hours ago, MikeBlue said:

MIKE first off stick with the 40 pound braid . I am going to be polite and say that in my opinion any one fishing with 20 pound test mono in the canal among a whole packed area of others fishing does not have a clue about fishing and is telling you he also does not care about any one else fishing as well. No one in a crowd of fishermen that is using 20 pound test on any reel will be able to control a fish of size in a group where others are fishing , especially when the water is under full force movement. He might get the distance with a conventional , because he does not have the line capacity to make a long cast due to his reel does not hold as much line as your spinning reel. You can do any thing you want to experiment, not in a packed hot on going action situation. The huge difference can be made with one spool set up to use jigs 40 pound braid and the other 30 pound braid for surface plugging. My preferred way is 65 braid for jigging and 50 for surface plugs with short carbon leaders that are rated for ten pounds less then my rated line. Distance has its advantage, but being smart on the line you use on the reels will make the job a little easier when big moma hits. If you are geared up to catch small fish which any one in the canal using 20 pound line on the reel is . you will be one of those who will tell the stories of all the big fish they broke off because they were not geared up to fish the conditions of what the canal offers when it it blasting away at 6 or 7 miles an hour current motion/ Big fish when they hit a surface plug most times in the canal , go straight down to the bottom and attempt to get the hooks out the less strength the line is the chances our you would never stop that fish before it broke off and another story of how huge this fish was all because you were under matched/  

Edited by Angler #1

I appreciate everyone's advice on this. If I go with a light braid and snap off plugs I will go with a shock leader, as stated in my opening post. Also, this is one specific situation I am talking about, I am casting to breaking fish and it is easy to see how far out they are. If I don't need the distance I will go with the spool that has the same 40lb braid that I use now. I am leaning towards 20lb PP Slick.

Hey Mike,

I used 20lb Sufix 832 all last season with no issues.  I will be going back to it (using 30 now) when I need to respool.  

It's a pretty arbitrary statement to say "stick with XX pound braid."  Not all braids are equal and there is no standardized measure of rating the pound test.  IE: 20lb Sufix 832 breaks at 41lbs.  40lb PP Super Slick breaks at 44lbs.  Sufix diameter is .23mm and PP with .32mm.  

14 mins ago, TLap21 said:

Hey Mike,

I used 20lb Sufix 832 all last season with no issues.  I will be going back to it (using 30 now) when I need to respool.  

It's a pretty arbitrary statement to say "stick with XX pound braid."  Not all braids are equal and there is no standardized measure of rating the pound test.  IE: 20lb Sufix 832 breaks at 41lbs.  40lb PP Super Slick breaks at 44lbs.  Sufix diameter is .23mm and PP with .32mm.  

You make some excellent points especially when one is speaking about the actual breaking strength of Braid. It would appear that braid does not have the same degree of accuracy as Mono in the majority of break test I performed some time ago. Every one actually broke in some cases far above what was on the spool for test. Even in some cases different spools from the same test spool were not the same. 

17 mins ago, TLap21 said:

Hey Mike,

Just don't forget that any knot you tie will take off a lot of that strength. Perfect PR and FG maybe 80%, 6turn surgeon 70%, palomar/unis 60%.

I generally use the labelled strength as my actual breaking at the knot. For me 40lb j braid breaks at 55-60 x 70% puts me at 35lb.

Agreed.  I'm surprised they don't have an Actual Breaking Strength rating, but I guess it's all marketing.  Guys love saying and hearing "my 20lb braid breaks at 50+ pounds."  At that point, is it really 20lb test?!?!