Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dblhauler

Snook on the beach

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Just wondering how the Snook fishing has been along the beaches of Anna Marie Island and Longboat Key ?? Had good luck there in April before heading home for the summer.5b210915a57ab_32inchSnookLongboatKey.thumb.JPG.656a5ed0f7121815b808747fb794e0cb.JPG

Edited by dblhauler

Bridge Tender

Since I am not down there during this period of time, I do not know how it's always been. If you do not wish to comment on this open forum, perhaps you could enlighten me via a PM. I am not looking for specific locations, I am just wondering what the Snook fishing is like now. Thanks in advance.

Snook spawning is going on now in the passes and inlets, and heavy current is needed in order to carry their eggs out. On the east coast of Florida, I've been getting a lot of snook in the inlets....lotta shorts with a few pigs in the mix....depends, though, on the current flow. Lot of run-off from the heavy afternoon rains to foul things up plus they just started letting the green water out of Lake O. Look for a tide change with some clean water pushing in and it seems to light things up after their busy business of bumping around.

Have not seen much beach action with snook --- because they're in the inlets and passes LoL. Western steering winds for a few weeks now has kept the ocean stone flat almost dead calm...clear as day. I've seen a lot of other stuff off the beach, lot of Pompano and lots of BIG Permit. Got a 30lb a few weeks ago. Happy hunting!

Sothern East side of FL. Had some luck last evening with a few small (17-20 inches) snook on the beach. Slight chop with a nice trough, made things fun. Got them on metal, plastics and top water. Love the top water, all the hits we right on the edge. Hope to get something bigger tonight.     

As Z said, LOTS of Snook running the inlets on the east coast of Florida right now.

Height of spawning season.

Harvest season is closed until Sept.1 2018 ((if my Florida rules memory is accurate (recent escapee from the NE)).

Smaller ones are males, larger are the females.

I don't believe they will be active feeders on way into rivers to spawn but will hit on way out after spawning (just a hunch).

I leave them alone right now since there is so many other things to catch (i.e. Reds, Cuda, Tarpon, Permit, Mangrove Snappers (dinner), etc.).

That said, a young but very talented local nailed 30 one morning a few days ago in an East Florida inlet on live croakers.

You never know what will grab your offering down here so just get out and enjoy.

PS: This young angler had some about 40 inches. I was trying to help a young guy get his decent fish on the land but cut him off.  Hooked on live Greenie with light 20lb Flouro leader.  Snook appear to be "shy" right now so lighter leader the better.

Have fished there a lot south side Skyway, way before they put up a fence. Canoed those waterways back there many, many times. Water temps are way up over there, also check into Red Tide activity, which will drastically kill the fishing...anywhere, literally. Same thing: hit the passes early morning or bridges late evening, high current flow areas are the ticket, deep channels, places like that. Any run-off area that dumps into the bay is going to be thick with snook. Don't think much activity gonna happen on the shallow stagnant so called beaches around there...in my opinion.