Steve in Mass

Tales and Truths from Avon......

57 posts in this topic

Pilotman - the Point is currently off limits, and I don't have 4WD anyway, so.......

Retainer - I get what you mean and don't disagree, but there are tourists and then there are tourists, if you know what I mean. It is not like I haven't done all this before, much like you. ;):)

That’s right. Hey if you don’t have 4 WD, you should try fishing down at the old Frisco Pier or south of there at Sandy Bay, there is a parking lot on the sound side with a crossover onto the beach. It’s just before you get into the village. You may have better luck at the pier.

i remember a trip up to the Avon Pier and this kid was catching Spanish on a gotcha plug on every cast. You may want to give that a shot.

Under the right conditions of course, the Avon Pier has had some pretty good action in the morning and evening, just about every time that I have been there. 

I am pretty sure that the Point is open to pedestrians, per Red Drum Tackle's reports.  I love the Point, but can only take the mile or so walk on sand with gear, once per trip...  I learned my lesson to not try to fish for "big fish" too, while hiking there.  Had a nice 2' Spanish up to my feet and self released, to see my pool stick dancing.  30 minutes later, after the Spanish school was gone and arms ready to fall off, I finally got a huge southern ray in.  Just too much to carry.  Rod, Spanish lures and cooler bag with some waters and ice for the catch is how I am rolling this year.  Maybe some pompano/sea mullet rigs in case the Spanish/blues don't cooperate. 

Both Red Drum and Frank and Frans reports seem to appear like fishing is okay.  I was kind of shocked to see how slow your trip has been.  Avon Pier reports are advertisements for their other properties. The pier itself seems to be more of a background photo to whoever runs their site and Facebook account.  I wonder how long that pier will remain there, being about #10 on their list of importance?  I'd say, one more good storm, and say good bye.  Frank and Frans does more reporting for the pier than they do.  I plan to hit the pier at least 1-2 mornings/evenings and hope for a few Spanish for the grill!

Edited by Porktown
The Point...

10 hours ago, pilotman said:

Hey Steve, keep up with these great detailed posts. Absolutely awesome.. I'm  sorry that things have been slow for you but I have thoroughly enjoy reading your posts thus far. Next best thing to actually being there. You've actually brought me there with you on your trip bc of your detailed posts. Love it!  Don't let the distracters bring you down. Anyone of us would trade places with you in a heartbeat instead of our stressed filled daily grind we call life.

.......Keep up the great posts!

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

4 hours ago, Retainer said:

south of there at Sandy Bay, there is a parking lot on the sound side with a crossover onto the beach. It’s just before you get into the village.

I was there yesterday for other reasons but that is getting ahead of the story. It's name fits the spot, as it is definitely sandy. But that is likely cause of the breach that happened in that area a quite a few years ago. And unless you walk out forever (much farther than I can), the water is just too shallow to fish. The spot I go to 25 steps off the sound bank and I am waist deep..........

Porktown.....no way I am walking to the point....the 400 steps from our oceanfront cottage to the water line this AM with two rods and a bucket nearly killed me...........not so much on the way out, but on the way back. :o

Bad knees........which make for bad legs and not so good for the back............

As to Frank and Fran's report, must be overblown as I talked with Ginger about every morning this week, and she said that fishing sucks...........she has already abandoned 3 trips this week and went shopping instead. ;)

Front coming thru tonight with a switch to NE winds, so perhaps that will help.

Quick.....currently temperature 89, dewpoint 79 :eek:

Likely the highest dew point I have ever experienced, even down here when the air temp has been over 100.

Hey Steve, when Isabel went through and left Isabel Inlet there, our trip to Hatteras village cancelled that fall. I couldn’t get anyone to go to Frisco instead, so I went down by  myself. I parked at the bathrooms there then walked the mile down to the breach. People fishing, taking pictures, etc. It was crazy seeing the old pilings from the bridge that was originally there, and they had already started dredging sand up the beach from Hatteras to fill the breach. Looking out into the sound, well it was a sad sight.

The old bridge was iron and was removed to melt down for the war effort. Interesting background to that Isabel inlet saga.

Edited by Retainer

Posted (edited)

The trip was supposed to be four hours (8-12) but we arrived at the dock at 11:40. :squid:

I gave the mate $15 for a tip, which at 20% was quite generous even though she didn't do a damn thing for me, even in fact kinda ignored me when I told her my bait was looking kind of shabby.....all she did was reposition it on the hook, something I was completely capable of doing myself.

Back "home" I just hung around the cottage doing some stuff until it was time to shower and head to dinner. We had 5 PM reservations at the Cafe at Inn on the Pamlico. We left way too early even stopping at the produce stand in Buxton that was very overpriced ($10 for a bowling ball sized water melon? :squid: Thanks, but I'll pass.)

At the restaurant we got a seat at the window over-looking the sound. Donna got a glass of Merlot and I some Guiness like stout. For an appetizer we shared a plate of  Cured salmon, Pickled Red Onion, Garlic Aioli, Grilled French Baguette, $12

Salad were ala Carte, and I got Mixed Organic Greens, Cherry Tomatoes, English Cucumber, Shaved Red Onion, Greek Feta, Raspberry Pomegranate Vinaigrette for $8.

Donna got the Spinach and Beet Salad - Baby Spinach, House Pickled Beets, Walnuts, Goat Cheese, Basil Balsamic Vinaigrette, but they were out of the beets, which was okay as we don't much like beets anyway. $10

Entrees, Donna wanted the seared sea scallops, but that was the other things they were out of, so she opted for the Cajun Lump Crabs, Jalapeno Sweet Potatoes, Country Slaw, Whole Grain Mustard Remoulade, $28.

I went for the Herford Beef Filet Mignon - grilled 8 oz. Filet, Horseradish Mashers, Wilted Baby Spinach, Forest Mushroom Bordelaise, $32

The salmon appetizer was okay, but nothing special, basically smoked lox. The salads were good, surprising the Raspberry Vinegrette on mine was not over-poweringly sweet, which is a good thing. The goat cheese on Donna's was kind of sparse, but so be it.

The entrees were both very good, the crabcakes being mostly all crab. She said the mustard sauce made a nice compliment to them. I am not big on sweet potatoes, but since they had Jalepeno, I did give them a taste.

My filet was ordered just a bit over rare, which was delivered. It was tender and as tasty as filet can be (which generally fillet really doesn't have a lot of flavor)  The sauce was excellent, although they could have used a few more mushrooms (Donna stole most of them on me!) And the horseradish potatoes were outstanding.

By the time we were done we were satisfyingly full, and although Donna almost went for the NY Cheesecake, she decided against it. Tax and 22% tip (I deducted 3 points cause while our young waiter was prompt, attentive, and pleasant, he failed to offer fresh ground pepper for our salads even though he did to the table behind us just as we were done with ours) about $135 total.

While we have had slightly better meals there in the past, it was still very nice and worth the expense. :)

Edited by Steve in Mass

15 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

Quick.....currently temperature 89, dewpoint 79 :eek:

Likely the highest dew point I have ever experienced, even down here when the air temp has been over 100.

It has been disgustingly oppressive for the last 2 days