ChrisJ

Fly fishing MoCo

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

So, new guy here so be easy. The in-laws live about 10 minuntes from the ocean in Monmouth county, right off 36. 

I’ve been trying the past few trips, started fishing Shark River inlet, the jetty’s near it and the beaches around it with no luck. Throwing Clouser minnows and some white baitfish patterns on sinking as well as floating lines. 

Figured I’d break down and ask the internet. Assuming this would be better off in the Fly Fishing section, if so admins feel free the delete and or move it. Not asking for specific spots just some advice and I don’t have a spinning outfit, I’m just odd like that.

Thanks,

Chris 

Edited by ChrisJ

Lots of sand fleas/mole crabs around so I'd try something like that. Current along the jetties or any kind of outflow off the sand where the water is stirred up.

It’s a little unconventional, but try a sink tip instead of full sink line, put a split shot and a sand flea imitation, and feed the line out into the current rather than trying to cast or drift

I'm not a fly guy, but I know a couple of good ones, and they tend to target the sides of the rockpiles on the beach exclusively, and do pretty well at it.

Shark River inlet later in the fall for Albies on the fly.

Thanks Ed. I’ll post up after the next trip north, smallie season down here in Maryland is here. 

17 hours ago, ChrisJ said:

Thanks for the tips, do the schoolies hang around all summer or this about it?

I got schoolies all summer last year fishing fleas. Fluke are in the same spots, eating fleas too.

On 6/12/2018 at 8:40 PM, ChrisJ said:

Thanks for the tips, do the schoolies hang around all summer or this about it?

Those small fish really dont go anywhere, winter/spring/summer/fall.  Bring a pair of goggles and take a swim when the water warms up, most jetties will have at least a couple bass cruising around.

Jetties, rivers, cuts. Not as much as in years past i suspect but a couple of fish are usually around. If you see folks diving, spark up a conversation when they come up you will be surprised at their findings.

Thanks for the tips guys, hoping to make a trip later this summer if not early this fall.