JohnP

Going D O W N

38 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, Aquacide said:

Jim - I've taken Pollack to 8lb off the rocks in Guernsey. their tides are up to 36ft !

as to inlets, I found the easiest fishing was a low or high tide when the tide was flat, or an hour each side as some of the currents were 4knts +

that first dive of a Pollack is something else. I always got them very close in but the sea bass would be at the edge of the white water.

cheers

Mark

Hi

My biggest pollack was 8lb at this inlet. However it was on a rubber sandeel rather than a fly, fish actually took it just subsurface rather than down in the kelp, just on the flood tide. . Well within fly casting range. Looking forward to trying this depthfinder line here. I'm hoping to get this line out on a boat to try for flounder or plaice over some sandy bottoms.

Biggest fly caught pollack was at Hoxa head on Orkney ,5.5 lb. As you say you just have to hang on and enjoy the ride when the fish heads for the kelp and then bully it up . You don't have to cast far for Pollack, just look for drop offs with kelp or structure and you're sorted. Have fished for Pollack on the low tide with poppers over the kelp, they come screaming up vertically and leave the water with the fly in the mouth- that was a revelation!

Just a question ,I know you get Pollack on the NE coast of the USA, is this Pollachius pollachius ( what we call pollack or lythe in the UK) or Pollachius virens ( we call them coalfish, saithe  or any amount of local names cuddy, coley, poddler).

Jim

4 mins ago, Highlandsaltyfly said:

Hi

My biggest pollack was 8lb at this inlet. However it was on a rubber sandeel rather than a fly, fish actually took it just subsurface rather than down in the kelp, just on the flood tide. . Well within fly casting range. Looking forward to trying this depthfinder line here. I'm hoping to get this line out on a boat to try for flounder or plaice over some sandy bottoms.

Biggest fly caught pollack was at Hoxa head on Orkney ,5.5 lb. As you say you just have to hang on and enjoy the ride when the fish heads for the kelp and then bully it up . You don't have to cast far for Pollack, just look for drop offs with kelp or structure and you're sorted. Have fished for Pollack on the low tide with poppers over the kelp, they come screaming up vertically and leave the water with the fly in the mouth- that was a revelation!

Just a question ,I know you get Pollack on the NE coast of the USA, is this Pollachius pollachius ( what we call pollack or lythe in the UK) or Pollachius virens ( we call them coalfish, saithe  or any amount of local names cuddy, coley, poddler).

Jim

I'll have to chat with the both of you next year, when I head over to the UK for our daughter's graduation...will be staying longer than our first two visits (which I dub shorter 'parental visits'....LOL) and will tote around a fly rod. This past April, when we were last there, coarse fishing was closed in freshwater, and the saltwater thing wasn't happening yet (was in Norwich, and Great Yarmouth is not too far away)...Guys in a shop in Great Yarmouth said that for sea bass, I had a better chance for sea bass up inside a river, near an ASDA superstore (It's Walmart, but ASDA is UK's brand name)...and that's where I may focus whatever time I have to fish (plus some local stuff in Norwich, River Yare)

Oh, and to answer the difference between coalfish and pollock....this is what we catch from the rocks here in the NE coast of the US (note: the small size that you see in the pic is typical of what you'd catch from shore, called 'harbor pollock' while we do indeed get bigger fish, to 30-40 lbs, if you go offshore):

pollockondafly.jpg

pollockondafly2.jpg

pollockondafly2A.jpg

3 hours ago, albacized said:

^^^which appear to be what folks in the UK call 'coalfish'

interesting, I did not know that.

AFAIK the bass fishing on the Norfolk coast is not great due to poor visibility. I do think they target mullet also in the rivers.

Hi

Definitely a coalfish. The lateral line on a pollack has a distinct curve over the pectoral fins. 

I'm sure there a plenty of fish to be had in the sea off East Anglia. Not a part of the world I know.

Jim

Jim

Further North you head along the Norfolk coast then the clearer the sea gets, depending on weather conditions. If you fancy a drive then head for Dunwich walk North up the beach a ways and fish the beach round to Walberswick where the River Blyth runs in. I would prospect evening, night or early morning with a light spinning rod fishing surface lures or unweighted Sluggos. If you locate fish then move to the fly rod, deepish water close in so no waders required and the bass, if there are any there, can be caught pretty close in. Good food at the Bell Inn washed down with a pint or three of Adnams. 

Those Airflo Depthfinder lines are OK but keep an eye on the splice.

Edited by essexalan