tascaso

Lamiglas GSB10LS

11 posts in this topic

Hello,

Looking for a review about this rod. Cannot find anything on the internet nor Youtube aside from the specs.

Thanks!

Tony

Its the same rod as a xs10ms. Just different guides an handle. Probably the most popular surf rod made.

14 mins ago, i07nyc said:

Its the same rod as a xs10ms. Just different guides an handle. Probably the most popular surf rod made.

Rated as light power, medium action, throwing 1-3 ounces. A 10ms in the GSB line is rated at medium power and moderate action throwing 2-5 ounces.

Maybe I am looking at the wrong rod on the Lamiglas site.

Both are built on a gsb 1201l blank. Lamiglas has always funky with their rod ratings. Sometimes they call it a 1-3, sometimes a 1-4. I'd say 1-3 is more accurate. It will lob 4 oz. You might be looking at the os version which is a little beefier.

Edited by i07nyc

1 hour ago, i07nyc said:

Both are built on a gsb 1201l blank. Lamiglas has always funky with their rod ratings. Sometimes they call it a 1-3, sometimes a 1-4. I'd say 1-3 is more accurate. It will lob 4 oz. You might be looking at the os version which is a little beefier.

Thanks for the info! Just looking for a rod with a moderate power/moderate action, that will bend all the way into the front grip.

10 hours ago, tascaso said:

Rated as light power, medium action, throwing 1-3 ounces. A 10ms in the GSB line is rated at medium power and moderate action throwing 2-5 ounces.

Maybe I am looking at the wrong rod on the Lamiglas site.

Yes, the light one is on the 1201L.  The Medium is the 1201M.  The new ratings are much more accurate than what the old ones were.  They changed the naming convention and have new modern builds/layouts, etc.  Much nicer NGC type layout.  I have and use both (custom built), with them combined being pretty much 100% of all the surfcasting I do.  

The light one at 1-3 is accurate.  It is quite moderate (maybe like moderate-slow) and bends to the foregrip.  I like that, some don't.  If you do then it is a good choice.  For a light rod it does have good power and taking fish up to 40 lbs. can be done.

The heavier one rated 2-5 is pretty accurate as well.  It will throw lower, but doesn't load as well in the 1 oz. range.  You will find the light one will throw a loaded redfin or bomber better, for instance.  Not that either is a good casting lure.  The heavier (M) won't bend down into the foregrip, it bends at 3/4 of the way down or so.  Still, very moderate action.  It heaves large wood without issue and has the power to deal with just about anything you will catch from shore (barring shark fishing).  Many opt for the 11' version in this category, it does seem to be better at casting the lower end 1-2 oz than the 10' version.  But the 11' is quite a bit heavier with more swing weight.  It's all trades.  No rod does everything best.

One more question, how heavy a braid can the 1201L handle?

Thanks, again for the information, I just could not find enough info on that blank and was about to call Lamiglas this morning and ask them.

-Tony

Edited by tascaso

I've had this rod but in 11' version XS11MS rated 2-4 for over 10 years until it broke. Sent label section back to lami using their fast track program, had them sent me gsb1322L rated 1-3 , which is essentially the same rod. 

Felt right at home in my hands from the first outing. It does pretty much everything I ask it to do, unless I want to bait fish with 6 oz or more. Works pencil beautifully. Can punch plastics and metals thru head wind too. 

You can use braid from 10 - 50 lb test on those rods. I didn't use over 50, but I'm sure it won't be an issue and most likely you will not need to go over that for your surf needs.  

They rate it up to 30lb braid but that rating is pretty inconsequencial. They put it on there cause its easier than putting a max drag rating that not many people pay attention to. Putting 80 lb braid on a penn 704 will have no bearing on things since a 704 can only generate a max drag of about 12 lbs. Put 80 on braid on a Stella 20000 with a max drag somewhere around 60lbs and you could easily break the rod.