Norcalbeachbum

Bought Ultegra 5500 XTD..Did I make a mistake?

43 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, jeffapeikin said:

Bought the xtdband tiralejo and it is a cool set up. Fished it in the rain and heard a beating or a grit of sand make some noise but it must have come out. Reel seems better. I took off the drag knob and lost a little part and have a new drag knob ordered. Shimano has a website for parts which is cool. Sorry penn. 

That's good to know! I don't get why Penn added the stupid tiny holes except for an attempt to save weight. I feel that if the unsealed poo boy fierce 2 is still truckin along the ultegra can put up with me.

I get my 9'6 airwave elite on Thursday so I'll see how balanced it feels.

I have the xsc 10K on 10’6” tiralejo, and have splashed it a few times with no issues. I do rise it down after every outing and sent it in to Shimano for cleaning and greasing after 1st season just for preventive maintenance. I guess I’ve had 3 or so years and really like it. Like the distance I get out of it.

42 mins ago, pd07 said:

I have the xsc 10K on 10’6” tiralejo, and have splashed it a few times with no issues. I do rise it down after every outing and sent it in to Shimano for cleaning and greasing after 1st season just for preventive maintenance. I guess I’ve had 3 or so years and really like it. Like the distance I get out of it.

Thanks for the input! Replies like this convince me I made a good choice 

Also, the reel handles a 27” blue in Memorial Day and was my first jetty fish the drag was great and landed my fish. 

7 hours ago, jeffapeikin said:

Hasn’t given me any issues until my most recent deep cleaning. Now I get a knock. I think I must have replaced incorrectly. 

Yeah I had the knock develop in the fierce. Bought a Battle which had a knock right out of the box. Returned it. Then got the SSV but that went geary first time taking it fishing--quite heavy and geary surely something wrong with the lube job so I returned it. Not buying Penn again, sorry. 

48 mins ago, Otshawytsha said:

Yeah I had the knock develop in the fierce. Bought a Battle which had a knock right out of the box. Returned it. Then got the SSV but that went geary first time taking it fishing--quite heavy and geary surely something wrong with the lube job so I returned it. Not buying Penn again, sorry. 

Glad I skipped buying the battle from alot of feed back. That's to bad about the ssv, I was looking into one but too heavy. 

33 mins ago, Norcalbeachbum said:

Glad I skipped buying the battle from alot of feed back. That's to bad about the ssv, I was looking into one but too heavy. 

Yeah I think you will be happy with the balance on your elite. I have the ultrgra  paired with a 9”6 rod. I wear a glove and makes the fishing with a skinny handle more pleasurable and comes in handy at times. Bought gloves from Home Depot for 9$ I think. They have Velcro and can still work a cell phone and tie knots at times. Also hooks don’t hurt as much. 

I'd return the Ultegra and get a Spheros 5 or 6000 for that 9'6". Ten bucks more and you are getting some very well performing seals. My Spheros 6000 has been dunked, splashed, everything and is still running great with very little maintenance. Seriously just rinse it lightly usually, and put some oil in the roller/bail flip/handle threads every now and then when it's getting good use. Don't crank it underwater ever though, it's not a VS but the seals are pretty damn good....

Posted (edited)

Spheros  is  a great recommendation. I did notice that drag is a little higher on the ultegra. 

33/20 if that has any real benefit

Edited by jeffapeikin

Don't splash this reel too much. I switched to Daiwa BG and it takes abuse better than the ultegras both the one you have and the Ci4 IMO.

Saw a dude at the canal break this reel off the reel foot today with a fish on. I should have taken pictures, but I was 40 yards away. 

He was in shock, and the reel was new. 

Is this why guys want metal frame reels. This reel is composite. 

13 mins ago, ged said:

Saw a dude at the canal break this reel off the reel foot today with a fish on. I should have taken pictures, but I was 40 yards away. 

He was in shock, and the reel was new. 

6 hours ago, Reed422 said:

Don't splash this reel too much. I switched to Daiwa BG and it takes abuse better than the ultegras both the one you have and the Ci4 IMO.

I don't plan on it but I know splashes happen. I thought the bg was not sealed either?

I’m sure the XTD is a good reel, but I think you should have went with the CI4 anyway. The XTD does not give you the forged gearing like the CI4. I don’t understand why Shimano puts the forged gear in a $99.00 Nasci, but uses the cheap gear in a $200.00+ longcast reel.

Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, jeffapeikin said:

Spheros  is  a great recommendation. I did notice that drag is a little higher on the ultegra. 

33/20 if that has any real benefit

20 is plenty! Seriously though, if you are fishing for bass and blues in the northeast, 20 pounds of drag is more than enough. Maybe if super heavy currents are something you fish regularly (cape cod canal)..... don’t forget, guys were landing consistently  bigger fish decades ago with reels that had 12-15 pounds of drag in the same surf we still fish today...

Edited by TheNapeaguePissMan