Norcalbeachbum

Bought Ultegra 5500 XTD..Did I make a mistake?

43 posts in this topic

Hello fellow anglers, not to beat a dead horse, but need input on my recent purchase. I decided to step up my surf reel from a fierce 2 4000 to something better. Out here on the west coast i usually throw luckycraft flash minnows 3/4 oz up to sp minnows.  After weeks of searching the forums I came to a conclusion of either a stradic, gosa, or ultegra for my new air wave elite 9'6. Besides an occasional splash I try to keep my gear dry and always rinse after, so seemed like the ultegra would be a good option. The other day my local store had a sale and purchased a ultegra 5500 xtd. Still untouched in the box and wanted to see if any one had any neg long term experiences if I should return it for something better? Will it launch my lighter 3/4 lures? Anything else around 17 oz that would mate well with my 9'6 airwave  elite? 

Thanks!!

I have three of them have worked very well for me cast great and nice and smooth. Caught plenty of stripers and blues with mine. 

7 mins ago, fishbites said:

I have three of them have worked very well for me cast great and nice and smooth. Caught plenty of stripers and blues with mine. 

Sweet! The xtd model? 

Posted (edited)

Don’t be a ninny, get out there and fish it!

That said, I have an XTD, which is my go to reel, and it is a great reel. However, I’m splashing it a lot and I’m on sandy windy beaches, and it can get sandy. And did I mention I’m a bit of a klutz? With this in mind I might save the XTD for dryer applications and put a Saragossa or a Slammer 3 on instead.

Edited by Alferd Packer

1 hour ago, Alferd Packer said:

Don’t be a ninny, get out there and fish it!

That said, I have an XTD, which is my go to reel, and it is a great reel. However, I’m splashing it a lot and I’m on sandy windy beaches, and it can get sandy. And did I mention I’m a bit of a klutz? With this in mind I might save the XTD for dryer applications and put a Saragossa or a Slammer 3 on instead.

Haha yeah I know I'm over thinking it. Spending this much on a reel is a big plunge for me and want to make sure I made the right choice out of the bunch. Since I could still return it if need be. I don't plan on dunking it so I feel i should be alright. Had trouble finding other anglers experience with the xtd version while searching the forums. Lots of feedback on the ci4

I Have the xsb and like it. It definitely does not like to be dunked though. I dropped it in the sand pretty badly and gave it a dunk to rinse it off. It did not like it. The internals were fine but some sand got under the spool and it didn't sound happy.

Will u fish in surf? Is Ultega sealed? Ultimately can't stop that sandy splash from getting into unsealed reel. Whether that's the end of the world I don't know. 

If you keep might want to check some of the easily checked parts for grease and apply where needed. For example I have a month old Daiwa BG. The line roller wasn't greased that well and by the time I figured that out there was some corrosion in there. Next time I will check. 

1 hour ago, Otshawytsha said:

Will u fish in surf? Is Ultega sealed? Ultimately can't stop that sandy splash from getting into unsealed reel. Whether that's the end of the world I don't know. 

If you keep might want to check some of the easily checked parts for grease and apply where needed. For example I have a month old Daiwa BG. The line roller wasn't greased that well and by the time I figured that out there was some corrosion in there. Next time I will check. 

Yeah surf fishing. Thanks for the heads up. Have a local reel repair guy who use to work for shimano, hoping he will be my saving grace if it starts acting up. Are the fierce 2 sealed reels? Sometimes mine will get funky then smooth out. I've gone almost a year with them and put them through alot still work and bring in good size striper. Can be finicky at times but I figured being such a cheap reel won'

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Otshawytsha said:

Edited by Norcalbeachbum
Dammit double posted

I had the Fierce II as well also a couple Battle IIs. I had the acting up thing--you could feel it getting harder and harder to nearly unworkable to reel (very heavy) in the course of a handful of retrieves--what I found fixed this was putting it on heater in car. Must have had something to do with grease but what who knows. Although eventually they got geary.  

Fierce is unsealed. And what's worse it has those holes in the spool and it's very easy for splash to get onto the rotor and thence down the shaft and into reel. 

I don't have a sealed reel but am in market for the cheapest one I can find--not dunkable but needs to handle the sandy splash. 

PArt of problem with those Penn reels is the main gear wears out quickly. Did you consider the Penn SSV spinfisher? Allegedly it's a sealed reel but not dunk proof or anything. 

I tried to look up ultegra on website it says it has "coreprotect" for water resistance...doesn't sound sealed. 

Best buy for a "dunk-able" sealed reel = Penn Slammer 3 ...........:howdy:

Thanks for the replies! Penn ssv was another option. Yeah just got into the surf this last year, minus a few rough patches the fierce 2 has put in work best fish was 20#.  Yeah I don't need something dunk proof, just the occasional splash worries me about the ultegra. I'll probably end up keeping it then later on figure out another option. Saragosa keeps popping up in the forums 

Bought the xtdband tiralejo and it is a cool set up. Fished it in the rain and heard a beating or a grit of sand make some noise but it must have come out. Reel seems better. I took off the drag knob and lost a little part and have a new drag knob ordered. Shimano has a website for parts which is cool. Sorry penn. 

Also I pre iously owner a fierce 1, Cabo 40 and a fierce Ii 5000 and I am not sure why they went to holes in the rotor.  The 1st gen didn’t have the holes as you may or may not recall. Had the gen 1 freeze up on the beach on a marathon session of fishing. Brought it in for servicing and they told me to take off the spool when rinsing. Hasn’t given me any issues until my most recent deep cleaning. Now I get a knock. I think I must have replaced incorrectly.