biegoe

Sound Kayak Launch Sites Bridgeport / Milford / Norwalk

16 posts in this topic

Looking to launch my kayak in this area for some fluke / striper fishing. Really having a hard time finding somewhere that has parking and access to the water without having to pay for parking. I recently moved up here from Long Island, and I am a little lost. Can anyone offer some places to launch a kayak?

Thanks!

welcome to CT-  where access can be  "difficult" to say the least.  If you haven't  it yet-  the CT Coastal access guide is a great place to start.  also, I'd recommend going to a kayak shop and introducing yourself.  theres some pretty hardcore 'yak fishing guys in the area, and the shops are well equipped for your style of fishing.  they will also be able to give you some launch site suggestions.

(best shop I know of is three belles which is in Niantic-  its a hike from where you are but prolly worth the effort)

What he said.  :agree:  The other thing that may or may not work for you is to do some preliminary scouting and I'd even go as far as calling some of the local police at those beach fronts that interest you to get a heads up on parking issues.   Depending upon the individual, you might get some cool info from them.   I know plenty of cops who love to fish.   Reading post like these makes me feel a lot better about my access here in Massholia.   Last thing that will help you seeing that you're knew to the sight is to beef up your posts and somebody here will be able to PM you with some more help.   Welcome to the site and good luck!

Thanks. Right now I am thinking of launching from Sherwood Island State Park. Penfield Reef looks like it has some access as well. I have a cart so I can roll the kayak, although it isnt the greatest. 

Milford: There is a launch by Caswell Cove Marina.  You can fish the river from there. 

Bridgeport: There is a launch by Port 5 in Black Rock Harbor.  You can fish the harbor and the sound from there. 

Stratford: There is a launch by Knapps Landing on Sniffens La.  There is not a lot of parking but you can fish the mouth of the river and the sound from there.  Be careful of the current here.  It can take you for a ride.   

West Haven:  There is a launch hear the waste treatment plant on 1st Ave.  You can fish New Haven Harbor from here.  

It may be worth investing in a launch/ramp permit depending on where you think you'll be fishing most.   Most towns have out of town resident permits. 

I am in Milford.  PM me if you want to head out sometime.  I can always use kayak company.

Pete 

3 hours ago, bravo139 said:

Milford: There is a launch by Caswell Cove Marina.  You can fish the river from there. 

Bridgeport: There is a launch by Port 5 in Black Rock Harbor.  You can fish the harbor and the sound from there. 

Stratford: There is a launch by Knapps Landing on Sniffens La.  There is not a lot of parking but you can fish the mouth of the river and the sound from there.  Be careful of the current here.  It can take you for a ride.   

West Haven:  There is a launch hear the waste treatment plant on 1st Ave.  You can fish New Haven Harbor from here.  

It may be worth investing in a launch/ramp permit depending on where you think you'll be fishing most.   Most towns have out of town resident permits. 

I am in Milford.  PM me if you want to head out sometime.  I can always use kayak company.

Pete 

Thanks Pete. It looks like the west haven launch has fees though according to the coastal access guide. 

Might try blackrock harbor this weekend 

14 hours ago, biegoe said:

Thanks Pete. It looks like the west haven launch has fees though according to the coastal access guide. 

Might try blackrock harbor this weekend 

There’s a kiosk at the west haven boat ramp. I think it’s a dollar an hour so it’s not too bad. 

Check tides before launching out of sniffens lane. The current can be brutal. 

Theres a bunch of spots to launch out of Milford. Normally I just look for the public beach access and wheel my kayak thru there to launch. 

Calf Pasture park in Norwalk. End of Shippan Road in Stamford. Mianus river downstream of the dam. Housatonic river in Milford.

Playland amusement park is near Byram and Greenwich, Ct. in NY. You donate $20 to the  Edith Read bird sanctuary, and get access and parking on LIS for one year. Its tax deductible and the pass covers the amusement park parking as well.

Posted (edited)

In milford you can buy a non resident parking sticker for 150$ a year.  West Haven offers it for 75$ a year.  

Alot of yak guys will unload thier boat at gulf beach in the far parking lot by the pier and go park up the road.  The walk to the water is like 10 feet.  Police in Milford rarely check stickers during the week and normally reserve the weekend for being a pain in the rear.  

If you happen to see a bunch of old men there siting on the wall in the morning, give a hello.  Bunch of friendly old salts.

Edit*  West Haven is 1.50$ an hour if I recall correctly.  Here's the kicker... what do you do if the kiosk is broken like it happens to be at one of the lots there?

Edited by Klaim147

6 hours ago, Klaim147 said:

In milford you can buy a non resident parking sticker for 150$ a year.  West Haven offers it for 75$ a year.  

Alot of yak guys will unload thier boat at gulf beach in the far parking lot by the pier and go park up the road.  The walk to the water is like 10 feet.  Police in Milford rarely check stickers during the week and normally reserve the weekend for being a pain in the rear.  

If you happen to see a bunch of old men there siting on the wall in the morning, give a hello.  Bunch of friendly old salts.

Edit*  West Haven is 1.50$ an hour if I recall correctly.  Here's the kicker... what do you do if the kiosk is broken like it happens to be at one of the lots there?

Thanks for the info. Going to check it out this weekend in West Haven. Can you enlighten me to which lot has the broken kiosks? Im planning on going to the April Street launch and using the kiosk there... 

Posted (edited)

Incoming PM..

Guess I don't have the ability to PM yet.  Not really spot burning as the place isn't a secret...  but if you fish in West haven you know which kiosk is broken.

Edited by Klaim147

I dont have PMs either yet. As long it isn't the launch, I'm not going to worry about it. 

Thanks for the help guys. Got out and caught some nice fish, including a 24” fluke today!

Bridgeport-  Brewster St boat ramp.   No sticker needed, limited parking on street.   Puts you into Black Rock, penfield around the corner.