Picking a light back bay fluke blank

Rate this topic

MikebDE29

For guides If your looking for weight savings at a cheap price pac bay makes single foot zv guides in ti which are reasonable. Usually I don't like pac bay guides but these were cheap enough to try. 2 years and no problems yet. I did a 9' using a 25, 16, 10 and the rest size 8 fly guides in stainless. Light and I don't think the guides cost me more than about 50-60 bucks.

the human race has proved darwins theory of evolution wrong. we let the dumb survive. 

On 6/14/2018 at 9:12 AM, Belmo said:

That's a good blank, and $27 is a great deal. You can build the rod, all in ,for about $40-$50, depending on whether you want to splurge for cork grips, and it will beat the spit out of any factory rod that costs $300. Pair it with a good, small, low-profile baitcaster like the Abu Revo, and you'll be kicking ass and taking names. 

They're great blanks!  I have one I built spinning, and am planning on building another one, and one more for baitcasting.  Have caught everything from flounder to specks, spanish mackerel, and even juvenile tarpon in FL. 

Quick hi-jack . . . 

I have an XP843 and an XP844 that I use for tossing grubs, popping corks, gotchas, etc. 843 is tough to beat for the way I fish. Mostly blues, Spanish, puppy drum, trout, flounder. Pretty fun cranking on double header spot too. 

That RX8 844 is pretty fast. Too fast for bottom fishing with bait IMO. I would think the RX6 graphite would be a bit slower and better for bottom fishing (or even jigging a gotcha). Any experience still fishing or drifting with 2 or 3 oz sinker with those rods?