fishfinder401

I think I'm hooked now

32 posts in this topic

Big pike are a blast. Spring is best season to target them but you can get them all season just look for cool water

This is more a matter of taste then anything else. But, for the bass at least, a seven is nice, I think. 

In big pike water, people go up to ten weights, but that's probably more to cast the fly then to catch the fish. 

Big flies will probably help get bigger fish. The main benefit of a heavier rod for bass is that most lakes with bass have lots of cover so you might be dragging the fish out. A six weight or five weight is plenty of fighting power for most bass, but fighting them it of cover can be a challenge. I have yet to catch one that really puts up much of a fight although my biggest to date is only about 3.5 lbs.

1 min ago, BrianBM said:

This is more a matter of taste then anything else. But, for the bass at least, a seven is nice, I think. 

In big pike water, people go up to ten weights, but that's probably more to cast the fly then to catch the fish. 

A 10 can be nice if you need to horse it in quick or away from structure if it’s a big one and yeah some pike flies are rediculously huge. Tying pike flies is fun can really get creative. 

Posted (edited)

I use an 8wt to toss topwater flies to LMB during the day. I catch big bass and get the thrill of seeing them crush the fly. That is addicting. 

An 8 wt helps me get the fish out of the weeds and algae muck.

Edited by Striperknight

Its all a compromise, you can buy a quiver, its surely fun but in retrospect now having purchased all the weights that I can , there are some that get almost all the time, but its really because of what and where i fish, the real science is finding line that works for you, as others mentioned the reel is only a holder.  You have a lot of posts, are you converting from spin/bait casting over?  If you are one piece of advice because I did the same 11 years ago, DO NOT BRING THE SPINNING ROD as a backup.  You will always go to it, if you want to get good at FF, leave it at home, its so tempting and easier at first, but eventually if you enjoy FF you will enjoy the nuances that the environment offer as an additional challenge, your mind and body will be engaged.  Good luck and keep sharing your progress!

3 mins ago, scooleen74 said:

Its all a compromise, you can buy a quiver, its surely fun but in retrospect now having purchased all the weights that I can , there are some that get almost all the time, but its really because of what and where i fish, the real science is finding line that works for you, as others mentioned the reel is only a holder.  You have a lot of posts, are you converting from spin/bait casting over?  If you are one piece of advice because I did the same 11 years ago, DO NOT BRING THE SPINNING ROD as a backup.  You will always go to it, if you want to get good at FF, leave it at home, its so tempting and easier at first, but eventually if you enjoy FF you will enjoy the nuances that the environment offer as an additional challenge, your mind and body will be engaged.  Good luck and keep sharing your progress!

im not necessarily converting to only fly, but for freshwater im definitely starting to use it a lot more, still will use spinning and casting gear for saltwater for now, but with regular gear the fishing at my local ponds was getting almost too easy, well maybe not really "easy" but i had narrowed down my tactics so much that i needed to change things up.

Also, did beat my best already this morning with a cork popper i made last night.20180613_090930.thumb.jpg.5bbc2accc028208f585f9e04b10ee836.jpg20180613_090853.thumb.jpg.f28a3c55e5d5748953810b43d796e45b.jpg

Awesome, i forgot to add how fun it is to catch fish on your own creations.

3 mins ago, scooleen74 said:

Awesome, i forgot to add how fun it is to catch fish on your own creations.

yeah it really adds something(and is so much cheaper haha) i do now know i need to coat these things in epoxy first though, some of the fish this morning did a number on the paint and edges of the cork

Posted (edited)

Man, it looks like you've got some awesome bass fishing near home which is awesome. I'm totally jealous. 

I'd also fully encourage you to get a heavier rod. 

When it comes to fly rod weights, to me, it's all about the flies you're throwing and the conditions you're throwing them in - not the size of the fish you're catching. Trout eat weightless bugs, so you can fish for and land big trout on everything from a 1 weight to a 6 weight or heavier. Since the flies are tiny, the rod / line weight doesn't matter as much.   

It's all personal preference, but personally, I hate being under-gunned and throwing heavy or air resistant flies with a light rod. It's a total per peeve of mine. You can really feel the fly clunk on the forward and back cast. No good. 

I fish an 8 weight for bass and love it. Even when fishing a heavy or air resistant fly, once you get enough 8 wt line in the air the feel of the fly fades and you're back to throwing the line. And that line can carry that fly way more efficiently. That's what it's all about. 

Another thing to think about is there's not much difference between a 7 and and 8 or an 8 and a 9 - so when building your quiver, jump at least 2 weights.

For me, I have a 5 for trout and panfish and an 8 for largemouth / smallmouth / carp etc. Next purchase will be a 10 for surf fishing the open beach.     

Edited by Joe Mairo

I use 2 rods: a #6 for smaller, less wind resistant flies and a #8 overlined with a 10wt line for larger, wind-resistant flies and hauling fish out of thick weeds. I've even used my 10wt rod if the weeds are really dense. Use flies that make noise and have a lot of action while sitting. Rubber legs, marabou and zonker strips are great, as are spun deer hair heads.  My favorite flies for bass have a spun deer hair head, a marabou (or crosscut rabbit strip) collar and a zonker strip tail. Irresistable. White or black are all you need, but you can vary it if you want. 

IMG_3354.PNG

Oh, and I like to use a single mono loop weedguard. It'll save you a lot of time unfouling the hook. 

I fish a 5 in most situations but love an 8 when casting bigger poppers or spun flies since it's a lot easier in the are of line management. Also, I almost always throw an 8 when fishing pad or heavy cover conditions since a buried fish is not fun to budge on a lighter rod. 

On 6/12/2018 at 1:08 PM, fishfinder401 said:

I am not good at tying flies yet but i have played around with tying them, currently i mostly use some midsize  foam head poppers and a range of wooly buggers

how large should i go with fly size?

i actually do have a heavier outfit, think it is a 9 weight although i am thinking of building something around 7 or 8 weight though, i just enjoy using the 5 weight more and usually fly fi

sh more open areas, or at least not heavy cover areas.

If I were to have a single rod for FW bass, for varied situations, it'd be 7 or 8. I'd go 8 wt if, in your area, you feel you're undergunned in terms of wind, casting distance, etc. A mostly personal decision IMO.

28 mins ago, patchyfog said:

If I were to have a single rod for FW bass, for varied situations, it'd be 7 or 8. I'd go 8 wt if, in your area, you feel you're undergunned in terms of wind, casting distance, etc. A mostly personal decision IMO.

honestly for the most part a 5wt rod has been working well for me, although revently i have been using 6wt line on it, i have used a 9weight in the past and fealt it was kind of oversized, but might give a 7 weight a shot at some point