Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnP

Boarded by the Coast Guard 2018

38 posts in this topic

7 mins ago, JimW said:

My buddy should have known he was over 26 even if only 2 inches.  I’m sure they could see it when they ran his registration, assuming they do that.  

 

Do registrations actually list inches?  I've never seen that.  To me, "over 26" means 27+.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2018 at 7:41 PM, Slacker said:

Funny thing is that one of the most useful pieces of safety equipment isn't on that list... the anchor.  I always carried two.  Drifting without power can be a bad situation.

Good advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CapeDave said:

I was in, and was the guy that had to write up that paperwork you would be surprised what people did not have.

Most people do not realize the arrest powers the USCG has. You really do not want a pissed of boarding officer.

For the most part it is just part of the day when you are told to go out and do safety checks.

I would note that the boarding officer did not physically handle the life jacket and check it, straps, snaps, and fabric condition.

Could not tell you how many times some one handed me a rag of a vest and wanted it to count.

Have a safe trip out there.  You are responsible for your boat and passengers.

A few years ago my parents, my uncle and his wife, and another couple decided they were going to take a cruise around Manhattan Island on a bluebird September day.

 

UN General Assembly was in session or some other nonsense, so East River security was tight.

 

Sure enough, dad gets boarded, guy on the bow with a .50.  At some point, boarding officer asks 'whats in that?' to which my uncle (realize he's a navy guy, way to rigid IMO, was XO on a nuke sub, very unlike him, guess he had a few pops in him) replies 'a bomb'.

 

That didn't go over well.  My father was steaming and ready to punch him in the face, because they took the boat apart.  Literally.  Thankfully everything was in order and other than losing the better part of an hour, they left unscathed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had some guys on a "training mission" out of Norfolk boarding EVERYONE out at Monster Ledge a number of years ago. Everyone was trolling for Tuna with big spreads.  They were pleasant enough; but it was kind of a PITA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2018 at 5:22 PM, JohnP said:

What was odd was the kind of things they asked about or checked for was not the usual list I’ve seen 

 

wondering if there’s some regs buried somewhere where they could write you up if they wanted to find something, anything 

I get the feeling that they board enough boats that they get a feeling for what they're trying to find.  You came across as competent, so they didn't go into their new boater routine.  If you were new, you probably would have gotten more of a talk of the risks of running a boat outside.

 

Sometimes, I think they board out of boredom.  My boat is pretty unusual--at the time I bought it, it was the first of its kind ever built, and I'm not sure that the manufacturer ever built another just like it.  When it was new, it was a very striking-looking hull.  So one day years ago, I was anchored at the very edge of West Channel in Great South Bay, trying to find a flounder or two along the drop--a place where everything from rental boats to party boats used to anchor every weekend.  It was a windy April day, with not too many boats around, and I saw a Coast Guard RIB shoot past me at speed.  Maybe a quarter mile away, the CG guys spun the RIB and came back, gave me a basic inspection, then told me that I was anchored a little close to the channel.  But I really think that they were just bored and wanted to check out a new and different boat to kill a little time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2018 at 9:07 AM, JoeyZac said:

 

Do registrations actually list inches?  I've never seen that.  To me, "over 26" means 27+.

 

 

Laws and regulations are generally enforced as written.

 

What you describe is "under 27 feet."  "Over 26 feet" means just that.  26 feet, 2 inches is "over 26 feet."  Boats are regulated by size class.  The classes are under 16 feet, 16-26 feet, 26-40 feet, etc.  26'2" is not between 16 and 26 feet; it is between 26 feet and 40.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2018 at 1:39 PM, CWitek said:

I get the feeling that they board enough boats that they get a feeling for what they're trying to find.  You came across as competent, so they didn't go into their new boater routine.  If you were new, you probably would have gotten more of a talk of the risks of running a boat outside.

 

Sometimes, I think they board out of boredom.  My boat is pretty unusual--at the time I bought it, it was the first of its kind ever built, and I'm not sure that the manufacturer ever built another just like it.  When it was new, it was a very striking-looking hull.  So one day years ago, I was anchored at the very edge of West Channel in Great South Bay, trying to find a flounder or two along the drop--a place where everything from rental boats to party boats used to anchor every weekend.  It was a windy April day, with not too many boats around, and I saw a Coast Guard RIB shoot past me at speed.  Maybe a quarter mile away, the CG guys spun the RIB and came back, gave me a basic inspection, then told me that I was anchored a little close to the channel.  But I really think that they were just bored and wanted to check out a new and different boat to kill a little time.

 

So fast forward to this weekend

 

we are floating down the Delaware. 2 boats. 6 guys

 

looking for rising trout 

 

out if nowhere comes two kayaks with NY DEC Officers 

 

they check for  licenses and life preservers 

 

and then they check the coolers for fish

 

we told them we hadn’t kept a trout since 1978. Those poor DEC officers weren’t even born then 

 

they leave my buddy says that’s the first time he’s been stopped in 30 years there

 

so there you have it.  it must be me 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 mins ago, JohnP said:

 

So fast forward to this weekend

 

we are floating down the Delaware. 2 boats. 6 guys

 

looking for rising trout 

 

out if nowhere comes two kayaks with NY DEC Officers 

 

they check for  licenses and life preservers 

 

and then they check the coolers for fish

 

we told them we hadn’t kept a trout since 1978. Those poor DEC officers weren’t even born then 

 

they leave my buddy says that’s the first time he’s been stopped in 30 years there

 

so there you have it.  it must be me 

Could be.  I haven’t drawn a stop since that time I described, which was the spring of 2000.  Thought Suffolk County PD was going to stop me in the State Channel last year; my wife and I were coming in from offshore, and drinking from cans of iced tea.  I suspect they thought we were drinking something else, as the boat was edging toward me, and about to pass; I saw the officer on my side start reaching out to wave me over.  I turned a little then, he must have gotten a glance at the Lipton label, and the wave-over kind of awkwardly turned into just a wave and he dropped back and I kept on going. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.