JohnP

Boarded by the Coast Guard 2018

46 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

On 6/11/2018 at 2:01 PM, JohnP said:

Just south of Montauk

Asked me when was the last time I had been boarded by coast guard - I told them the truth “never”

They Did not check to see if I had a working radio. I have two

They did not ask me if I had a fire extinguisher until I asked them if they wanted to see it 

Asked me what I would do if I had an oil spill. I was confused I finally said I would stop using the boat. They asked “so you would not dump the oil overboard?” 

They asked me how Montauk had changed over the last 20 years

They asked me how I liked the boat and how it handled the seas 

They did not check for fish violations until I asked them if they check for fisheries violations

(I told them I didn’t feel like cleaning fish today so everything went back)

They asked me how hard it was to fly fish in salt water

They Asked me where the boat VIN was located

They asked my what my perf numbers were and my WOT. I told them I’m conservative and never drive very fast, but that the prior owner said WOT was about 53

They asked my when was the last time I took a safe boating course. I told them 5 years ago, but it was a course more for jet skiers. But I told them I keep a copy of Chapman’s on the night stand. Thy thought that was very funny. 

as they left I was thinking of asking them if they wanted to each take a beer for the ride on the zodiac. But I thought better of it. After all is wasn’t even 12 noon yet. 

Saw other zodiacs stopping boats at the inlet. I guess it’s that time of year 

FAKE NEWS! Lol....

Edited by Cman

Posted (edited)

Buddy got boarded last year.  He’s a good sailor, father was USCG career.   They checked his gear and when they got to the fire extinguishers they got out a tape and measured the boat.  He thought the boat was 26ft but they wrote him up for $200 because it measured 26-02 and he only had one.  I think they made it cheap when he showed up with a receipt for a second one. 

Edited by JimW

13 mins ago, JimW said:

Buddy got boarded last year.  He’s a good sailor, father was USCG career.   They checked his gear and when they got to the fire extinguishers they got out a tape and measured the boat.  He thought the boat was 26ft but they wrote him up for $200 because it measured 26-02 and he only had one.  I think they made it cheap when he showed up with a receipt for a second one. 

That's BS!!!!

What was odd was the kind of things they asked about or checked for was not the usual list I’ve seen 

wondering if there’s some regs buried somewhere where they could write you up if they wanted to find something, anything 

The USCG checked out my boat.  The guy told me send my fire ext. back to Kidde and they will send you a new one.  Recall on the ones with plastic pins. 

33 mins ago, ccb said:

The USCG checked out my boat.  The guy told me send my fire ext. back to Kidde and they will send you a new one.  Recall on the ones with plastic pins. 

Thx.

Just call the recall number on the site and give them the number on the Ext.  Then they send you a new  one and they give you a return postage # and you send the old one  back in the same box.  About 2 weeks turn around.

my friend has about 12 to send back?

I was stopped multiple times while drifting for fluke.... all while guys are speeding by creating unsafe conditions or those who were not under power. 

I was in, and was the guy that had to write up that paperwork you would be surprised what people did not have.

Most people do not realize the arrest powers the USCG has. You really do not want a pissed of boarding officer.

For the most part it is just part of the day when you are told to go out and do safety checks.

I would note that the boarding officer did not physically handle the life jacket and check it, straps, snaps, and fabric condition.

Could not tell you how many times some one handed me a rag of a vest and wanted it to count.

Have a safe trip out there.  You are responsible for your boat and passengers.

My coast visit came with very large mounted machine gun that would rip my 19 foot to shreads with a touch of the trigger. We have NUKE subs in the area and were visible nearby. They came along side, tied up to my boat, encouraged me to keep my motor on but in neutral, we were in a fast current 4-6 knots.  4 coast guard officers and one CG pilot.

I had my wife and two Teen daughters on board

My visit did not check my safe course, fishing lic. insurance, boat registration - although they may have saw the sticker.  They did not check the fire extinguisher

It simple asked for my ID, checked to make sure that I had the right amount of PFDs and a Type 4. They filled out a simple questionnaire, how long I have been boating, if I have seen anything or someone suspicious in the area and left me their card. 

Have a nice day, all in 5 minutes.

That gun was bad ass.

22 mins ago, iphish said:

My coast visit came with very large mounted machine gun that would rip my 19 foot to shreads with a touch of the trigger. We have NUKE subs in the area and were visible nearby. They came along side, tied up to my boat, encouraged me to keep my motor on but in neutral, we were in a fast current 4-6 knots.  4 coast guard officers and one CG pilot.

I had my wife and two Teen daughters on board

My visit did not check my safe course, fishing lic. insurance, boat registration - although they may have saw the sticker.  They did not check the fire extinguisher

It simple asked for my ID, checked to make sure that I had the right amount of PFDs and a Type 4. They filled out a simple questionnaire, how long I have been boating, if I have seen anything or someone suspicious in the area and left me their card. 

Have a nice day, all in 5 minutes.

That gun was bad ass.

Guess we keep our boats in same area.   It gets crowded when they are moving a sub in or out with ferry traffic.  Never been boarded but that might be because I give them a lot of room.   Have seen 3 of those gun RIBs converge on a boat that wasn’t aware they had shut down traffic passing the base.  Quick and serious going about there business for sure.  

16 hours ago, JoeyZac said:

That's BS!!!!

My buddy should have known he was over 26 even if only 2 inches.  I’m sure they could see it when they ran his registration, assuming they do that.  

1 hour ago, CapeDave said:

I was in, and was the guy that had to write up that paperwork you would be surprised what people did not have.

Most people do not realize the arrest powers the USCG has. You really do not want a pissed of boarding officer.

For the most part it is just part of the day when you are told to go out and do safety checks.

I would note that the boarding officer did not physically handle the life jacket and check it, straps, snaps, and fabric condition.

Could not tell you how many times some one handed me a rag of a vest and wanted it to count.

Have a safe trip out there.  You are responsible for your boat and passengers.

Yes I take that part “ you are responsible” very seriously. 

If someone new comes on the boat I give a 5 minute speech on where all the safety stuff is and how to use it. 

I also dont push it if I don’t like the conditions 

4 mins ago, JimW said:

My buddy should have known he was over 26 even if only 2 inches.  I’m sure they could see it when they ran his registration, assuming they do that.  

The boarding officer did ask me twice what size boat it was 

I told him 23

he said “you can take this boat anywhere” 

i said “ how far out is that?”