Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnP

Boarded by the Coast Guard 2018

38 posts in this topic

Just south of Montauk

Asked me when was the last time I had been boarded by coast guard - I told them the truth “never”

They Did not check to see if I had a working radio. I have two

They did not ask me if I had a fire extinguisher until I asked them if they wanted to see it 

Asked me what I would do if I had an oil spill. I was confused I finally said I would stop using the boat. They asked “so you would not dump the oil overboard?” 

They asked me how Montauk had changed over the last 20 years

They asked me how I liked the boat and how it handled the seas 

They did not check for fish violations until I asked them if they check for fisheries violations

(I told them I didn’t feel like cleaning fish today so everything went back)

They asked me how hard it was to fly fish in salt water

They Asked me where the boat VIN was located

They asked my what my perf numbers were and my WOT. I told them I’m conservative and never drive very fast, but that the prior owner said WOT was about 53

They asked my when was the last time I took a safe boating course. I told them 5 years ago, but it was a course more for jet skiers. But I told them I keep a copy of Chapman’s on the night stand. Thy thought that was very funny. 

as they left I was thinking of asking them if they wanted to each take a beer for the ride on the zodiac. But I thought better of it. After all is wasn’t even 12 noon yet. 

Saw other zodiacs stopping boats at the inlet. I guess it’s that time of year 

Skinner sounds very nervous probably hiding something. He's doing a lot of talking, lot of talking.

Nah, just kidding--but you know that's what they are trained to pay atention to. 

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Billybob said:

I don't think you need a radio, do you? 

You don’t.  Now when you hail the USCG on the radio, they ask for your cell number.

PFDs, 1 throwable, day/night signals, extinguisher, whistle/horn.  Think that’s about it.  Sold my boat 5 years ago, so if there is something missing in that list it doesn’t matter much... to me, anyway.

Edited by Slacker

First aid kit I think they check for. 

Registration card maybe.

3 hours ago, makorider said:

Did they run the VIN?

Sounds like they're running the VIN over the cell phone at 2:16

3 hours ago, Slacker said:

You don’t.  Now when you hail the USCG on the radio, they ask for your cell number.

PFDs, 1 throwable, day/night signals, extinguisher, whistle/horn.  Think that’s about it.  Sold my boat 5 years ago, so if there is something missing in that list it doesn’t matter much... to me, anyway.

I thought you needed a radio. ?

oh yes, they saw the preservers and throw ring, they said, ‘yep you got all the stuff”

they may have run the VIN, they took my Dr Lic too and ran some sort of check 

They look to see if the boat is stolen. Then they check to see that you dont have outstanding warrants. All while they are observing if you are drunk or not. They usually do a better check on little boats because they are really trying to get you to stop coming there. 

From West Marine.  The USCG has similar info in a .pdf brochure but it is multi-page.  A radio is a good thing to have regardless... I always carried a fixed 25 W unit and a handheld.

USCG.png.b1d71d2143a4ef4e65aebe599dd9e93e.png

Funny thing is that one of the most useful pieces of safety equipment isn't on that list... the anchor.  I always carried two.  Drifting without power can be a bad situation.

You were out at frisbees. I saw them checking the boats in the area. They check the boats really more for the training of the young cadets rather then handing out tickets although they will write them.  Usually it’s always around this time of year. The fishing was really good yesterday I hope you did well

4 hours ago, JoeyZac said:

Sounds like they're running the VIN over the cell phone at 2:16

When you're not firewalled at work lol