How do you fish your eels at night?

I am just wondering how others on here fish their eels off their kayak at night. I have been doing this for several years now with some success, but just wondering if anyone has advice on how they use them. Do you find a fishy spot and sit and cast them at rocks, etc. almost like off the shore? Do you drag them around behind you almost as if trolling them? If so, do you think their is an optimal speed? Is there a depth range you feel that you really should be using a weight? I thought it was interesting that I was fishing one over the weekend without any hits until I stopped to take off a schoolie I caught with a lure. As I was dealing with that fish and threw it back it, my eel went racing away with a nice keeper sized bass. I'm thinking I could be doing a few things better with this. Thanks in advance for any input.

I use to troll eels. I'm all about the rubber now.  You can drift or troll em at .08-1.6 knots. You can use a 5/0-7/0 Gamakatsu J hook. Up through the chin out through the eye socket. Green scrubby or scotchbrite pad works to grab em. I use a soft cooler with blue packs and damp rag. Never leave eels in standing water or heavy slim they will suffocate.

Edited by The Riddler

42 mins ago, KiddFromBoston said:

By the way, you can see why eels work. Found these strange things inside one I kept from the weekend. Not even sure what they are. 

BAA23DEA-9120-4A60-89F9-0B556B0904DB.jpeg

Those are gunnel fish. We have them all over New England and beyond. They will mimic the environment they live in and blend in. I've seen them Bright green around the green kelp, black, black and red, yellow with black spots, all kinds of color variations.

1 hour ago, The Riddler said:

Those are gunnel fish. We have them all over New England and beyond. They will mimic the environment they live in and blend in. I've seen them Bright green around the green kelp, black, black and red, yellow with black spots, all kinds of color variations.

Thanks for the information. Very interesting. I don’t keep that many fish in a season, but have never seen those before. Sounds like an interesting little creature.  

13 hours ago, The Riddler said:

WOW! i think you may have solved a 6 yr old mystery i had............

Was snagging these things that  i couldn't identify one night fishing a drop at the edge of a reef in Montauk, they were about 6" long......drew something quick from memory & posted it on a surf casting site  i was on.....It was mostly met with joking remarks but no one knew or even  came close to the answer...

bait.jpg.8c90e77e2aa779f9895e390e7a9131fb.jpg

I think "gunnel fish" is a match! :th:

Looked like this guy below

Rock_Gunnel_lg.jpg.7d6111592296dbfadbd61b0a1edff158.jpg

Regards........

I use to have bass gorge on those Gunnels up in Rockport. They may or may not target them but I feel they are down there eating crabs and lobsters and come across the Gunnels and makes a good meal but they may search them out too. Maybe that's why plastics on a jig head or weightless work so great....but there's sand eels out there too. Who knows what the truth is but it's a fact they routinely eat Gunnels.