Alferd Packer

What did you throw today?

67 posts in this topic

43 mins ago, telecronista said:

You need to steep your tea bags in a bucket full of ice and water. 

Sean your teabags have to be hanging low in order for this to work, after the trauma my boys have been through they have retreated back past the mason dixon line and are not coming out for anything, I mean anything, even in 90 degree weather.  Trying to put them in a bucket of cold water would be like this pic below. We are not on talking terms right now, let them have some time alone and maybe I will give them a call tomorrow to make sure we are still buddies. 

Image result for cartoon cat refusing to take a bath

PS Still beats a day at work for sure! :) Now back to what everybody is throwing at the water, get this thread back on track. 

23 hours ago, Alferd Packer said:

7B5607E7-DF46-498C-9526-D46DF50A07A5.thumb.jpeg.e7a3fa86ca2cbedb7535825daa323aa3.jpeg

So......

I head out to the beach last night to fish up to the high tide occurring around 9 pm.  Frankly I was feeling pretty hopeful, good incoming tide, late afternoon, surf looked ok. I was also pretty hopeful because early July is when big shoals of bait start coming in, and with them, stripers. 

I get to the beach and it’s late enough that parking was easy, so I rigged up, put on something a little warmer than my tea shirt and trotted down the path to the water. As I stepped to the top of the little dune that separates the beach from the rest of reality, I stopped, grinned, giggled, and gasped all at the same time. HOLY MOTHER OF SWEET BABY JESUS! There in front of me, was every pelican and other diving bird from miles around diving frantically on bait right there in the surf, all within yards of where I was standing. Not dozens, hundreds! No I’m understanding, at least a thousand!!!

Giddy with anticipation, I’d already landed my personal best, by a big margin before I even got my line in the water. Was it going to be on my third or fourth cast????

The wind was blowing at a good clip right down the beach do casting anything under an ounce and half wasn’t going to get me to the strike zone.

Going from left to right,

shimano orca, 2 oz sinking popper. I just bought it that day and thought I’d give it a try.  I went 3-4 casts with it and since I hadn’t got my PB yet, I switched it out for the super strike. I fished this for 10-15 minutes and nada. I started thinking about what was going on here!

Next was the Mickey, in the same situation last year I would hook up every fourth or fifth cast. This would do the trick, I thought. I worked up and down the beach with this for at least 45 minutes. Nothing.

Next up was the SP Minnow, I’ve been very successful with this, and although I wasn’t getting the distance, I was still in the strike zone. Zilch

Quickly becoming demoralized, I thought I’d change it up with a big Winch pencil. Nothing still, Jighead and rubber, no. Surface cruiser, no. 

Any of you guys ever face the same thing? Lots of bait, no fish? Have I been hexed???

Same story here Monday and Tuesday afternoon. Tons of pelicans driving on bait. No fish on them. 

On 7/10/2018 at 11:26 PM, Alferd Packer said:

7B5607E7-DF46-498C-9526-D46DF50A07A5.thumb.jpeg.e7a3fa86ca2cbedb7535825daa323aa3.jpeg

So......

I head out to the beach last night to fish up to the high tide occurring around 9 pm.  Frankly I was feeling pretty hopeful, good incoming tide, late afternoon, surf looked ok. I was also pretty hopeful because early July is when big shoals of bait start coming in, and with them, stripers. 

I get to the beach and it’s late enough that parking was easy, so I rigged up, put on something a little warmer than my tea shirt and trotted down the path to the water. As I stepped to the top of the little dune that separates the beach from the rest of reality, I stopped, grinned, giggled, and gasped all at the same time. HOLY MOTHER OF SWEET BABY JESUS! There in front of me, was every pelican and other diving bird from miles around diving frantically on bait right there in the surf, all within yards of where I was standing. Not dozens, hundreds! No I’m understanding, at least a thousand!!!

Giddy with anticipation, I’d already landed my personal best, by a big margin before I even got my line in the water. Was it going to be on my third or fourth cast????

The wind was blowing at a good clip right down the beach do casting anything under an ounce and half wasn’t going to get me to the strike zone.

Going from left to right,

shimano orca, 2 oz sinking popper. I just bought it that day and thought I’d give it a try.  I went 3-4 casts with it and since I hadn’t got my PB yet, I switched it out for the super strike. I fished this for 10-15 minutes and nada. I started thinking about what was going on here!

Next was the Mickey, in the same situation last year I would hook up every fourth or fifth cast. This would do the trick, I thought. I worked up and down the beach with this for at least 45 minutes. Nothing.

Next up was the SP Minnow, I’ve been very successful with this, and although I wasn’t getting the distance, I was still in the strike zone. Zilch

Quickly becoming demoralized, I thought I’d change it up with a big Winch pencil. Nothing still, Jighead and rubber, no. Surface cruiser, no. 

Any of you guys ever face the same thing? Lots of bait, no fish? Have I been hexed???

I like how Winch calls it trying to feed a fish a hunk of metal when the water is full of steak.

Yes! My skunk has been broken! Finally after at least 3 weeks of frustration I finally had a good session on the water.

Here’s what I used,

F08C365B-17FE-4DE9-8D7B-45162ACFD786.thumb.jpeg.280e81eb4471fbcddef3ca076d1bacfd.jpeg

Since I’ve been having a dry spell, I decided to start with the tried and trusted. I was fishing the ebb in a channel I fish pretty often

Going from left to right, I started with with some things I could bounce along the bottom and work up through the water column based on retrieve speed. The paddle tail swim baits are the go to for guys fishing this area and thought I’d start there. But no, the first two aren’t different. I just had two in my bag and needed to rinse both since wasn’t sure which one I used. Nada

Went with the larger bucktail for starters and fished it 7-8 times. Didn’t get anything and switched to the smaller. After a few casts landed my first striper, something in the 22-23 inch range. 

Since I didn’t get anything further after a dozen or two casts, I went with the #15 sp minnow in bone - this has been (along with the #17) my all time my my most productive lure. A dozen or so casts later I got my best striper for the day, 27-28 inches. I tossed it another dozen or so times and got bored and moved on.

I thought I’d try a larger swim bait and work the bottom again. Maybe in retrospect, I should have gone with something that covers the same water column as the minnow, oh well.. nada. 

It was getting late and decided to cast the super strike pencil just for yucks. Wasn’t feeling it after after 6-7 casts.

On heading out I went back to the minnow and found a little pocket that I thought would hold. On the fourth or fifth cast landed a striper around 20 inches. 

And that was it!