Alferd Packer

What did you throw today?

67 posts in this topic

On 6/22/2018 at 5:28 PM, Mike Fixter said:

Madraz,  what rod, reel & line are you using to cast buck tails?  I get quite adequate distance with  buck tails weighing 1 oz or more.   Although if the fish are in close & conditions allow I will drop down to as light as 1/2 oz. 

Well I recently snapped my go to salmon steelhead rod that I liked for bucktails it was rated 1/2 - 2 oz, currently I am using a penn rod rated 1-5 oz but I'm over it, its too heavy. Shimano Stradic 5000 and 25lb braid is normally what I use for reel and line. I am looking into getting a black hole suzuki special 9.6ft but they are out of stock for a few more weeks. I have had shoulder and back issues the last couple of years so key for me is a rig that is as light as possible when plugging. The $400 rods are too much for me, would like to keep it under $250.

3 hours ago, Madraz said:

Well I recently snapped my go to salmon steelhead rod that I liked for bucktails it was rated 1/2 - 2 oz, currently I am using a penn rod rated 1-5 oz but I'm over it, its too heavy. Shimano Stradic 5000 and 25lb braid is normally what I use for reel and line. I am looking into getting a black hole suzuki special 9.6ft but they are out of stock for a few more weeks. I have had shoulder and back issues the last couple of years so key for me is a rig that is as light as possible when plugging. The $400 rods are too much for me, would like to keep it under $250.

Maybe consider a St Croix mojo. It’s light enough, moderate action. 

Whatever you use, getting the rod to work for you takes some practice!

Today I went through my usual quiver of surf lures for big swell: Lucky Craft Flashminnow, SP minnow, Kastmaster spoon, and then plastics for perch (4 small ones). For some reason I never got to my bucktail jigs. I knew that linesides were a possibility because the only other guy on the beach landed a decent striper using live sand crabs. After the sun went down, I went back to the SP minnow: blurple color and pretty big, dunno the size but it's a floater. Finally got slammed right off the ledge in the shore break and I got a barely legal keeper. I'm gonna rinse my gear in the morning :)

13 hours ago, Uncle Stu said:

Today I went through my usual quiver of surf lures for big swell: Lucky Craft Flashminnow, SP minnow, Kastmaster spoon, and then plastics for perch (4 small ones). For some reason I never got to my bucktail jigs. I knew that linesides were a possibility because the only other guy on the beach landed a decent striper using live sand crabs. After the sun went down, I went back to the SP minnow: blurple color and pretty big, dunno the size but it's a floater. Finally got slammed right off the ledge in the shore break and I got a barely legal keeper. I'm gonna rinse my gear in the morning :)

IMG_20180624_122007.jpg

I never really had confidence in bucktails until this year.  I told myself I had to keep at it to build my confidence . Paid off big time.  I started off season throwing lucky crafts but soon switched to bucktails. Pretty much all I used rest of the time .  Worked well on the early season schoolies.  Now I just gotta make time to get back out there.

5 hours ago, Albycor said:

I never really had confidence in bucktails until this year.  I told myself I had to keep at it to build my confidence . Paid off big time.  I started off season throwing lucky crafts but soon switched to bucktails. Pretty much all I used rest of the time .  Worked well on the early season schoolies.  Now I just gotta make time to get back out there.

Do you jig it constantly or just a twitch and retrieve type of action?

I mostly retrieve with the occasional twitch.  I’m trying to go as light as possible with lures, mostly 3/4 ounce bucktails.  But  far from being proficient.  Still learning.

No pic but threw last night till 11pm in Monterey Bay somewhere, Large Big Hammer Swimbait 8 inch in Smoke Sardine on a 1.5 oz swimbait head, Winch Pocket Rocket Bone Pencil, AH Dookster, Tsunami Talking Popper, Blurple 1.5 oz Tinman's Smiling Bills Bucktail. Water was rough, but a couple of guys did manage a single 5 lb striper at night on Anchovie as bait the only hook-up out of about 10 guys on the beach.

Posted (edited)

Fished the evening high tide this past weekend and at the last hour before sunset, landed two fatty barred surf perch on the Lucky Craft.  As the sun was setting, the water look prime for stripers so I switched to a SP bullet and hooked a monster fish in which I eventually lost due to being outmatched gear wise.  Had a 3000 stradic attached to an ODM genesis rod that I just picked up that day. (great rod, btw!)  Thanks to @Linesideslayer for happily pouring salt on the wound but always giving me great advice.  And to @norcalkatfor also giving me some tough love through a different forum.  This game ain't easy but i'm a willing student!  "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...." :banghd:

Barreed Sufperch.JPG

Edited by MichaelRayray

Posted (edited)

7B5607E7-DF46-498C-9526-D46DF50A07A5.thumb.jpeg.e7a3fa86ca2cbedb7535825daa323aa3.jpeg

So......

I head out to the beach last night to fish up to the high tide occurring around 9 pm.  Frankly I was feeling pretty hopeful, good incoming tide, late afternoon, surf looked ok. I was also pretty hopeful because early July is when big shoals of bait start coming in, and with them, stripers. 

I get to the beach and it’s late enough that parking was easy, so I rigged up, put on something a little warmer than my tea shirt and trotted down the path to the water. As I stepped to the top of the little dune that separates the beach from the rest of reality, I stopped, grinned, giggled, and gasped all at the same time. HOLY MOTHER OF SWEET BABY JESUS! There in front of me, was every pelican and other diving bird from miles around diving frantically on bait right there in the surf, all within yards of where I was standing. Not dozens, hundreds! No I’m understanding, at least a thousand!!!

Giddy with anticipation, I’d already landed my personal best, by a big margin before I even got my line in the water. Was it going to be on my third or fourth cast????

The wind was blowing at a good clip right down the beach do casting anything under an ounce and half wasn’t going to get me to the strike zone.

Going from left to right,

shimano orca, 2 oz sinking popper. I just bought it that day and thought I’d give it a try.  I went 3-4 casts with it and since I hadn’t got my PB yet, I switched it out for the super strike. I fished this for 10-15 minutes and nada. I started thinking about what was going on here!

Next was the Mickey, in the same situation last year I would hook up every fourth or fifth cast. This would do the trick, I thought. I worked up and down the beach with this for at least 45 minutes. Nothing.

Next up was the SP Minnow, I’ve been very successful with this, and although I wasn’t getting the distance, I was still in the strike zone. Zilch

Quickly becoming demoralized, I thought I’d change it up with a big Winch pencil. Nothing still, Jighead and rubber, no. Surface cruiser, no. 

Any of you guys ever face the same thing? Lots of bait, no fish? Have I been hexed???

Edited by Alferd Packer

I threw these Monday, yesterday and today on my neither region after vasectomy, ouch! Recovery going well, so hoping by Friday can fish again, for now me and my rod and spools are hiding under a bag of frozen peas.  

See the source image

21 mins ago, Linesideslayer said:

I threw these Monday, yesterday and today on my neither region after vasectomy, ouch! Recovery going well, so hoping by Friday can fish again, for now me and my rod and spools are hiding under a bag of frozen peas.  

See the source image

You need to steep your tea bags in a bucket full of ice and water.