Alferd Packer

What did you throw today?

23 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Linesideslayer said:

Threw these last night till midnight in vain...

IMG_1748.JPG

Sorry to hear your efforts were in vain.

Dis you start with the Pikie?

2 hours ago, Alferd Packer said:

Dis you start with the Pikie?

Nah, Both poppers were on deck first at sunset, last light, then the pikie, then SP & Swimbaits into the night. After sunset moved beaches since it was a little rough, finally found some decent water but nobody was home or if they were no answer. Got my exercise and practice in though.

Threw these Fri, Sat Sun in SD county during June Gloom grey light minus tide. 

Coditions got worse each day w/ increasing wind, waves & dirty surf.

My quary, my first CA Halibut. I’m a Mid-Atlantic surf fisher, mostly in NJ. One of my fave species to target are Atlantic summer flounder which we call fluke. Since my son moved his family (wife & our grabd kids) to Cali a few years back, I was excited to catch a “west coast fluke”. Tried for the past couple years. Over sevarl outtings I caught a zebra perch, a walleye perch, a jack smelt & a corb. Lost a big hali on the tip of a jetty (rookie move when I got too excited) & had a corb break me off in an unexpected last minuet run.

I’ve been doing my homework & this year I was determined.

Here’s what I threw: Two diff Kast Master Spoons, two diff colors ring hammers rigged weedless, 4 diff LC baits (Flash Minnow 110 in MS Arura Black & Metallic Anchovie, Flash Pointer In MS White, Surf Pointer in MS Arura Black). On the LC’s I removed the middle hooks & upgraded - upsized the hooks & split rings.

Landed a 22” on the black flash minnow on Sat, on Sun lost a slob on it on Sun before I lost it to a blioler Boulder, landed a fat 25” on the anchovie flash minnow.

See my full report in “Catch anything today?” thread. In short, I’m extatic!

Your Hali are agrressive beasts. I’m gonna have a hard time looking at our fluke in the same way again. They’re wimps compared you your butts  : 0

Best Regards!

JD

IMG_2754.JPG

Edited by jjdbike

I’ve caught them in the bay on little 1oz KM bucktails. They seem like shiny things overhead. If you get a bite just keep casting over the same area. They hang out in groups. 

Threw the 5" green sinking needle walking it in caught a halibut! Never caught a halibut on a wood lure before!!! I was pretty surprised. 

19 mins ago, Otshawytsha said:

Threw the 5" green sinking needle walking it in caught a halibut! Never caught a halibut on a wood lure before!!! I was pretty surprised. 

Top water Hali, do my ears deceive me? or was the needle hit under the surface? Either way great catch. I have seen them taken on swimming plugs and plastics, but never ever have I seen one taken n a topwater plug.