Blackhole or Lamiglas

Rate this topic

YAKnDIVE

On 6/11/2018 at 0:01 AM, YAKnDIVE said:

Looking for a light weight fluke set up

for casting from Raritan bay and jigging from the yak, so under 7’   Pairing with a stratic Ci4 2500.   

Narrowed down to the    Lami Tri flex TFX6615s or Blackhole 691UL

Anyone using either rod?

Curious, why those two rods? I have the TFX in casting version, it's a very soft rod. From what I see the BH is also a pretty soft taper...and neither are long enough to do double duty casting from shore.

For fluke jigging I would look at something with a much faster action. Think freshwater bass rods. My personal favorite in spinning would be the Shimano Expride 7'2mh; that rod is the standout model in that entire lineup...and the Zodias 7'2mh for less $$. You don't need to go under 7' on the yak either...7'2 is just fine, all my yak rods are over 7'. 

The reasoning for these two are.  With a light soft rod off the yak as it bends it will bring the fish closer to the boat for  easier netting.   I also went thru a bunch of rods I inherited from my father that fished Florida flats.   Most are cheap yard sale rods but found a 7’ St. Croix Tide Master in the mix, with the lure and line rating that I am looking for. 

Check 6'8" Black Hole Charter Special Slow Pitch rod for kayaking. It is only $185, but the rod is excellent choice for kayaking.

The rod is Mike Basnite's favorite rod for kayak. He landed big jack and he is using for big tarpon now.

The rod is great for fluking or big striper too. 

But it is too short for shore fishing. 

Edited by ksong

9 mins ago, ksong said:

Check 6'8" Black Hole Charter Special Slow Pitch rod for kayaking. It is only $185, but the rod is excellent choice for kayaking.

The rod is Mike Basnite's favorite rod for kayak. He landed big jack and he is using for big tarpon now.

The rod is great for fluking or big striper too. 

But it is too short for shore fishing. 

The shore fishing I will be doing will be in the 4’-10’ bay and using 10 lb suffix braid on a 2500 stratic ci4  Targeting 2-6 lb fluke.  Most bucktails will be 3/8 - 5/8 oz 

but want to be able to throw up to one oz.   

I have a 11’ ODM 2-6 nex1 for the 

bigger stuff.  

YaknDive,

I have a question to you.

How far do you need to cast for fluke from the shore.

I thought long rods have advantage to cast far to reach where fluke are.

I decided to develop 8' Black Hole Suzuki rod for casting 1/2 oz - 2 oz after some anglers look for 8' rods to cast small lures from the shore. 

I thought the 10' Black Hole Suzuki rods are perfect to cast small lures from the shore, but they want shorter rods.

the 701L is my favorite rod for boat fishing I pair it with a 4000 Clash and it is super light. I did not fish Black Hole rods until last year when I finally met Kil. The nano carbon gives great action with very little weight and is super strong. Kil may be naturally biased but he speaks the truth about his product. 

1 hour ago, ksong said:

YaknDive,

I decided to develop 8' Black Hole Suzuki rod for casting 1/2 oz - 2 oz after some anglers look for 8' rods to cast small lures from the shore. 

I thought the 10' Black Hole Suzuki rods are perfect to cast small lures from the shore, but they want shorter rods.

1 hour ago, ksong said:

YaknDive,

I’m gonna say 25-50 yards 

the shore is shallow enough for me to wade out 100 feet at low tide if the fish are further out

longer distance would be an advantage if I were to cast parallel to shore.  

3 hours ago, blacklabnh said:

the 701L is my favorite rod for boat fishing I pair it with a 4000 Clash and it is super light. I did not fish Black Hole rods until last year when I finally met Kil. The nano carbon gives great action with very little weight and is super strong. Kil may be naturally biased but he speaks the truth about his product. 

Thanks for your kind words.

We rarely hear negative review after they use Black Hole USA rods.

7 hours ago, YAKnDIVE said:

but found a 7’ St. Croix Tide Master in the mix, with the lure and line rating that I am looking for. 

Give the tidemaster a shot. If you like that style of rod, you can upgrade to a crisper blank. 

Unless you're using a trout net...I find no reason to go "soft" on a kayak rod. A fast tip will make your fluke jigging so much more pleasant. Just mo.